Good Chinese Grub on East side of Rochester

inkman

I live in Fairport and the wife has a hankerin for Chinese.  Any of my fellow Rochester posters have a suggestion?

804071[/snapback]

Kam Wah (sp)?. Located on 5 mile line road just south of 441.

Edit: Scratch that, while searching to see if they had a website I ran across a newspaper article that said the owners retired and they closed. Damn, I loved that place.

There is another one, don't know the name, in the plaza at the corner of 250 and 441 (the one that has the Aldi's in it.) It's a little more expensive then my last suggestion but still pretty good.

PF Changs is good (at Eastview), unless you're tired of it.

804074[/snapback]

Been to Chammps and Biaggi's several times. Never made it to Changs. A tad to far and possibly too expensive but I appreciate the suggestion.

I live in Fairport and the wife has a hankerin for Chinese.  Any of my fellow Rochester posters have a suggestion?

804071[/snapback]

For very good food and the best name ever: House of Poon

Monroe Ave. I like the Lucky Family and the shrimp lo mein the best.

If you are looking for Eye-talian, try Pomodoros on University. The tortoloni is to die for! I know the head chef here.

Anyone try the Golden Phoenix?  Only one with a website I can find.  I wanna do take out as I would like to be home in time for Buffaslugs.

804081[/snapback]

The Phoenix is the best place I have been to.

There is another place on the way out to Farmington on Rte. 96 just past Van Bortel Subaru. I can't remember the name of it, but it is in a little strip plaza and VERY GOOD.

Probably too late for you ink, but I can say that the Phoeniz is pretty good. There is also a place in the plaza across the street that is good, but I can't think of the name.

On a side note, have you ever had The King and I in Henrietta. It is Thai, but it is probably the best Asian restaurant in town.

Probably too late for you ink, but I can say that the Phoeniz is pretty good. There is also a place in the plaza across the street that is good, but I can't think of the name.

On a side note, have you ever had The King and I in Henrietta. It is Thai, but it is probably the best Asian restaurant in town.

804196[/snapback]

We like to go to Pattaya Thai in Penfield for our Thai food. It's awesome and how can you not like a place with "caramari" LITERALLY on the menu. We did the Phoenix and was happy with the food. I don't know if it was because it was Saturday night, but the service was far from good, and I only got take out.

They have a kid answering the phone who better have been working his first shift there. He had no idea what any of the menu items were and actually had to ask for help when a customer asked him, "Does it taste good?". :D I whispered to him, just answer yes to that one everytime.

Furthermore, I waited 10 minutes inthe doorway for someone to even ask why I was there. Finally, I got to tell them take out and I left 10 minutes before the hockey game started. Luckily, I made sure I got home in time.

I've lived in the Roc for all of my 35 years.  It was the running joke in high school.  Perhaps for that very reason, I can't bring myself to eat there.

804299[/snapback]

Try it out, damn good food and cheap if you eat lunch there.

For future reference, if the Cathay Pagoda is still operating in downtown Rochester across from the theater...do NOT eat there.

804322[/snapback]

It is still there - thanks for the warning! ;)

Any downtowners may appreciate this list of online takeout order services

urfoodexpress

My favorite and closest Asian food is New China on the NE corner of Culver and Norton.

Best for takeout - there are tables and chairs, but this place was not designed for dining in. GREAT FOOD, though.

No matter when you call " OK, ten minute!"

:D

try Chopsticks...near MCC/Rustic Village

small hole in the wall restaurant. when you go in, you'll see the place loaded with chinese grad students so you know the place is good and authentic.

they have take out

Kind of surprised you had a bad experience picking up your food at the Phoenix. Before having kids, the wife and I used to eat there a lot and since we still get takeout from there on a regular basis.

The owner and his wife are usually working the door and the phone, so I'm not sure why a kid was working the phone / counter.

The service when you eat there is usually very good and they typically give you a complementary shot of apple brandy at the end of the meal.

Next time you go there, be sure to ask for the "stamp". They will give you a booklet that you can fill up with tags from your meals. Once you've had 12 (?) meals there, you can turn the book in for a discount off your next meal (IIRC, the discount is 10% of what your total $ value of the meals you ate).

I agree with you that Pataya's is excellent for Thai food. I prefer it to The King & I because Pataya's uses the thinner hotter Thai sauces and TK&I makes the creamier sauces.

PF Chang's is good when someone else is paying, but I find it pricey for what you get.

BTW, for a good "Buffalo style" pizza, try J&L's on Hogan near Rte 31 (~1/4 mile west of Golden Phoenix).