Odd dumb question but ...

... does anyone else think that Ralph Wilson Stadium looks smaller than pretty much every other stadium? I see other stadiums on TV and it seems like Ralph looks the smallest.

800283[/snapback]

Its definitely one of the oldest - I think that the design of newer stadiums probably add to what you're talking about.

Then again, just about every person that I've taken to a Bills game with me has made the comment that the Ralph looks a lot like a college stadium.

Its definitely one of the oldest - I think that the design of newer stadiums probably add to what you're talking about.

Then again, just about every person that I've taken to a Bills game with me has made the comment that the Ralph looks a lot like a college stadium.

800289[/snapback]

Im thinking that the new stadiums might have all seats instead of bleachers? Seats take up more space than bleachers do .

Here is Ralph Wilson ---> http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictu..._park_rich1.jpg

Denver Broncos ----> http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictu...er_invesco1.jpg

Colts ---> http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictu...apolis_rca2.jpg

Giants ---> http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictu...ord_giants1.jpg

Chargers ---> http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictu...o_qualcomm1.jpg

Oh is that like common knowledge?  :lol:

800329[/snapback]

I don't know... But it is pretty obvious when you drive up to it and only see the upper decks showing...

;):w00t:

Sorry... I am being a smartarse... Didn't mean to offend...

On another note: I think Texas Stadium and the Ralph have the biggest "crowns" to their fields also...??

On another note: I think Texas Stadium and the Ralph have the biggest "crowns" to their fields also...??

800341[/snapback]

The Ralph used to have the biggest crown before it was redone, with the new carpet I believe. Think it went from 18 inches to 9,not sure though .

I don't know... But it is pretty obvious when you drive up to it and only see the upper decks showing...

:lol:  ;)

Sorry... I am being a smartarse...  Didn't mean to offend...

On another note:  I think Texas Stadium and the Ralph have the biggest "crowns" to their fields also...??

800341[/snapback]

Crowns? But anyway. I see it all the time but other than having to walk down the ramp to get to the Kelly Club I never really thought of it.

Crowns? But anyway. I see it all the time but other than having to walk down the ramp to get to the Kelly Club I never really thought of it.

800347[/snapback]

It is where the middle of the field is higher than the sidelines... For water drainage...

Actually the Ralph has one of the larger seating compacities in the league.

You probably seen the "new" Soldier Field... Looks big and impressive, I think they call it the "Flyin' Saucer" because of how they added into it... There they have about 10k less seats.

The Ralph is deceptive largely because most of the seating is below ground level.

It is where the middle of the field is higher than the sidelines... For water drainage...

Actually the Ralph has one of the larger seating compacities in the league.

You probably seen the "new" Soldier Field... Looks big and impressive, I think they call it the "Flyin' Saucer" because of how they added into it... There they have about 10k less seats.

The Ralph is deceptive largely because most of the seating is below ground level.

800386[/snapback]

interesting

interesting

800387[/snapback]

The Ralph (Rich) before all the luxury boxes had 80K seats.

Soldier Field, the original version I think had over 100K... Then they cut it down to about 65K when the Bears moved from Wrigley Field in 1972... And arial view of the old soldier field would show almost a third cut off and rounded around the (I think) east endzone.

Really, for its time and still now... The Ralph is a big stad with not a bad seat... Unlike its ugly sister that once stood in Foxboro with its no complete lower bowl...

The Ralph (Rich) before all the luxury boxes had 80K seats.

Soldier Field, the original version I think had over 100K... Then they cut it down to about 65K when the Bears moved from Wrigley Field in 1972...  And arial view of the old soldier field would show almost a third cut off and rounded around the (I think) east endzone.

Really, for its time and still now... The Ralph is a big stad with not a bad seat... Unlike its ugly sister that once stood in Foxboro with its no complete lower bowl...

800416[/snapback]

I was just looking at an aerial view of the old Foxboro stadium ... wooh that seemed in rough shape.

Soldier Field, the original version I think had over 100K... Then they cut it down to about 65K when the Bears moved from Wrigley Field in 1972...  And arial view of the old soldier field would show almost a third cut off and rounded around the (I think) east endzone.

Perusing Da Bearsss' media guide last week, I seem to remember reading that Soldier Field holds, or at least held, the all-time college FB single-game attendance record. Hang on a sec... okay, here it is:

"It hosted the first boxing event which drew a gate of over $2.5 million (Dempsey-Tunney, 1927), the first ski meet held in a stadium, and the all-time largest football crowd (123,000). The largest crowd for any event in Soldier Field was 260,000 on Sept. 8, 1954, for the Catholic Church’s Marian Year Tribute.

"The 100,000-seat stadium was dedicated November 27, 1926, with Army battling Navy to a 21-21 tie. The all-time collegiate attendance record of 123,000 plus was established Nov. 26, 1927 as Notre Dame beat Southern Cal 7-6. In the first professional game at the then-mammoth stadium, the Bears defeated the Chicago Cardinals 10-0 on November 11, 1926."

Can't imagine trying to watch a fight in a 100,000-seat arena, especially before replay screens were invented. Unless you were near the bottom of the stands or on the floor, you could wave your ticket stub and say "I was there", but that's about it...

As for the late, unlamented Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium? If the Ralph is comparable to a large college venue (I can agree with that), then Foxhole was an overgrown high school field. U.B. has nicer digs.

Good point, too, about the 'sunken' field making RWS's above-ground footprint smaller. I'm trying to think of any other NFL stadia where "street level" is the 200 sections instead of the field itself. Anyone?

Perusing Da Bearsss' media guide last week, I seem to remember reading that Soldier Field holds, or at least held, the all-time college FB single-game attendance record. Hang on a sec... okay, here it is:
"It hosted the first boxing event which drew a gate of over $2.5 million (Dempsey-Tunney, 1927), the first ski meet held in a stadium, and the all-time largest football crowd (123,000). The largest crowd for any event in Soldier Field was 260,000 on Sept. 8, 1954, for the Catholic Church’s Marian Year Tribute.

"The 100,000-seat stadium was dedicated November 27, 1926, with Army battling Navy to a 21-21 tie. The all-time collegiate attendance record of 123,000 plus was established Nov. 26, 1927 as Notre Dame beat Southern Cal 7-6. In the first professional game at the then-mammoth stadium, the Bears defeated the Chicago Cardinals 10-0 on November 11, 1926."

Can't imagine trying to watch a fight in a 100,000-seat arena, especially before replay screens were invented. Unless you were near the bottom of the stands or on the floor, you could wave your ticket stub and say "I was there", but that's about it...

As for the late, unlamented Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium? If the Ralph is comparable to a large college venue (I can agree with that), then Foxhole was an overgrown high school field. U.B. has nicer digs.

Good point, too, about the 'sunken' field making RWS's above-ground footprint smaller. I'm trying to think of any other NFL stadia where "street level" is the 200 sections instead of the field itself. Anyone?

800437[/snapback]

Cool... Thanks for the history and info!

Just imagine... Before modern washroom planning too... Wasn't that era (1920's) with big fur coats, hip flasks, and the pennants waving... :lol:;)

Yeah it just has a 3 straight sections going up on both sides ... pretty ugly ... hear check it out for yourself

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/nengalnd/foxboro.jpg

extremely college like

800432[/snapback]

Thanks!

Maybe the old foxhole isn't quite Ralph/Richesque... I forgot how fugly that place looked.

The Ralph/Rich is the Taj Mahal [sp] compared to that place...

The one thing they need to do in OP is upgrade the concession envior... So sparten compared to other sites around the league...

Thanks!

Maybe the old foxhole isn't quite Ralph/Richesque... I forgot how fugly that place looked.

The Ralph/Rich is the Taj Mahal [sp] compared to that place...

The one thing they need to do in OP is upgrade the concession envior... So sparten compared to other sites around the league...

800444[/snapback]

Yeah, Foxburro. The place where Victor "Omar" Kiam found out one corner of the stadium was on the Racetrack's property - and they were going to force them to tear it down... so he sold the pasties. A "Classic B word" of a story. :lol:

Yeah, Foxburro. The place where Victor "Omar" Kiam found out one corner of the stadium was on the Racetrack's property - and they were going to force them to tear it down... so he sold the pasties. A "Classic B word" of a story. :doh:

800485[/snapback]

I think it was the stadium where now Pat owner Robert Kraft bragged that he would squeeze 6 people in on 4 season tickets...

Go figure... :(:P No wonder the place was a dump!

It always amazes me how "theft of service" seems so cute for the powerful BEFORE they have control...

I bet he would he would throw the book at anyone attempting to do that now at the Razor...

:D