Jason Peters: elite offensive lineman

D_House

Best Block: The best single block of the day came from Buffalo's Jason Peters, a third-year undrafted gent from Arkansas, who is becoming one of the league's elite offensive linemen. A common fault of offensive linemen is making the first or primary block, then standing around watching the play rather than finding someone else to block. On what would become Peerless Price's 8-yard touchdown reception off a bubble screen, Price was all the way back at the 15 and seemingly doomed to take a big loss when Peters, rather than standing around watching, drilled a Minnesota defender with a perfect secondary block.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...terbrook/061003

Some more Buffalo tidbits from the column:

Stat of the Week No. 4: Buffalo has allowed six of six fourth-down conversion attempts by opponents.

When Toyota Becomes the Official Car of the Detroit Lions, Feel Free to Panic: How bad are things for General Motors? Toyota is now the "Official/Exclusive Car and Truck of the Buffalo Bills." The Buffalo area was once a G.M. manufacturing hub.

Preposterous Punt Watch: Trailing 7-3 in the second quarter, Minnesota punted on fourth-and-2 from the Buffalo 49. Trailing 17-6 in the fourth quarter, Minnesota punted on fourth-and-2 from the Buffalo 49. The Vikings lost by five points.

We're All Professionals Here: Minnesota launched a 9-yard punt. Buffalo lost yardage on its possession, then replied with a 22-yard punt.

Stop Me Before I Blitz Again! No. 2: In the first 56 minutes of the Buffalo-Minnesota game, the Bills' defense held the Vikings to two field goals, eight first downs and 226 yards of offense. In the final four minutes, the Bills allowed a touchdown, six first downs and 104 yards of offense, Buffalo barely winning when a Minnesota player dropped what would have been a touchdown pass in the closing seconds. What changed between the first 56 minutes and the last four minutes? The Bills began blitzing like crazy.

I didn't see the game, comments?

"Stop Me Before I Blitz Again! No. 2: In the first 56 minutes of the Buffalo-Minnesota game, the Bills' defense held the Vikings to two field goals, eight first downs and 226 yards of offense. In the final four minutes, the Bills allowed a touchdown, six first downs and 104 yards of offense, Buffalo barely winning when a Minnesota player dropped what would have been a touchdown pass in the closing seconds. What changed between the first 56 minutes and the last four minutes? The Bills began blitzing like crazy."

WTF? The Bills went into a prevent defense! What game was he watching?

"Stop Me Before I Blitz Again! No. 2: In the first 56 minutes of the Buffalo-Minnesota game, the Bills' defense held the Vikings to two field goals, eight first downs and 226 yards of offense. In the final four minutes, the Bills allowed a touchdown, six first downs and 104 yards of offense, Buffalo barely winning when a Minnesota player dropped what would have been a touchdown pass in the closing seconds. What changed between the first 56 minutes and the last four minutes? The Bills began blitzing like crazy."

794201[/snapback]

I was just going to say that!

Bills defense was 25 yards down field keeping everything in front of them.....

completely off?  what about his take on Peters?

ETA:  he's pretty good about printing corrections, let him have it on the blitzing bit.

794205[/snapback]

His take on Peters was correct -- he keeps improving. The best move the Bills made in a long time is locking him up this past off season and not letting him reach the open market.

His take on Peters was correct -- he keeps improving. The best move the Bills made in a long time is locking him up this past off season and not letting him reach the open market.

794218[/snapback]

Peters is improving, but to he's still a ways from 'elite' status. Nice to know that there's a good chance he'll still be a Bills once he does reach that level.

I was just going to say that!

Bills defense was 25 yards down field keeping everything in front of them.....

794204[/snapback]

Not so fast with this observation. On the fortunate drop of an overthrown but catchable ball for the Vikes Whitner blew shifting over from the center of the field coverage to cover the Vikes receiver (Robinson I think) who had eluded McGee's attempt to stop him up with press coverage in the shallow zone and Robinson streaked into the clear where fortunately Johnson overthrew him by a little bit and the WR could not gather it in.

If our D was the Tampa 2 is was not well run as Whitner was not back to keep the WR in front of him. If it was simply a cover 2 and Fletch was blitzing then the TMQ observation is correct. None of us fans knows for sure what the cover scheme was and I do not remember the play well enough to guess what it looked like they were trying to do to us outside observers, but if someone has the tape and Fletch is blitzing they were not running the Tampa 2 and we were fortunate that the Vikes could not execute well enough because the scheme was right for them.

Preposterous Punt Watch: Trailing 7-3 in the second quarter, Minnesota punted on fourth-and-2 from the Buffalo 49. Trailing 17-6 in the fourth quarter, Minnesota punted on fourth-and-2 from the Buffalo 49. The Vikings lost by five points.

794193[/snapback]

I wish he'd lay off the punting business. As usual with TMQ, it seems like he has an idea that makes sense, then just pushes it too far. It's a mistake to punt from midfield in the second quarter when you're down by 4? Really?

I wish he'd lay off the punting business.  As usual with TMQ, it seems like he has an idea that makes sense, then just pushes it too far.  It's a mistake to punt from midfield in the second quarter when you're down by 4?  Really?

794300[/snapback]

He's right in regards to the teams that punt on 4th down (and a manageable distance) from the opposition 40 or inside. you should almost never punt in that situation. But he tends to go overboard with the "perposterous punts" Last week he was trashing a team for punting from their OWN 40.

The vikes should have punted in the 2nd quarter, but probably not in the 4th.

Wasn't it Peters who had two false starts in a row on one of our drives? He has been doing a phenomenal job, I agree, but false starts are drive killers. While it may have been unnoticed or it may not have affected the outcome of the game against the Vikes, that is not going to fly against the Bears.

He's right in regards to the teams that punt on 4th down (and a manageable distance) from the opposition 40 or inside. you should almost never punt in that situation. But he tends to go overboard with the "perposterous punts" Last week he was trashing a team for punting from their OWN 40.

794328[/snapback]

I agree with that 100%. Inside the 40 is a no-punt zone barring a huge distance to go. And yeah, down by two scores in the 4th, that would be a good time to go for it. But it seems like he can't be happy just arguing those reasonable guidelines.

794328[/snapback]

Blame Gregg Williams, the initiator of Easterbrooks preposterous punt references.

Not so fast with this observation.  On the fortunate drop of an overthrown but catchable ball for the Vikes Whitner blew shifting over from the center of the field coverage to cover the Vikes receiver (Robinson I think) who had eluded McGee's attempt to stop him up with press coverage in the shallow zone and Robinson streaked into the clear where fortunately Johnson overthrew him by a little bit and the WR could not gather it in.

If our D was the Tampa 2 is was not well run as Whitner was not back to keep the WR in front of him.  If it was simply a cover 2 and Fletch was blitzing then the TMQ observation is correct.  None of us fans knows for sure what the cover scheme was and I do not remember the play well enough to guess what it looked like they were trying to do to us outside observers, but if someone has the tape and Fletch is blitzing they were not running the Tampa 2 and we were fortunate that the Vikes could not execute well enough because the scheme was right for them.

794260[/snapback]

This is correct. Mauraders & SC.....wow, you're not good at watching games.

794201[/snapback]

Facts suck... <_<

Fewell mixed coverages and used a ton of zone blitzes in the second half. He had the Bills' mobile defensive ends - Aaron Schobel, Chris Kelsay and Denney - dropping into underneath zones, while adding either a linebacker or cornerback to the rush.

Wasn't it Peters who had two false starts in a row on one of our drives?  He has been doing a phenomenal job, I agree, but false starts are drive killers.  While it may have been unnoticed or it may not have affected the outcome of the game against the Vikes, that is not going to fly against the Bears.

794335[/snapback]

Wasn't that always the knock on Reuben Brown? He sucked eh?

<_<

794201[/snapback]

Have I mentioned that I hate the prevent defense ! We almost gave the game away with the prevent defense. Stop doing it !