I think it's time we all meet

5 Wide

6-0, 228 from Oregon State

1st Team all Pac 10

All American Honorable Mention

Was a strong safety most of his life, switched to linebacker in 2004 (his first year at Oregon State) it's quite impressive that he's only been a LB for 2 years.

Anyway, he's really been playing very well on the weak side while Crowell is filling in for Spikes. Looks like a great late round pick.

6-0, 228 from Oregon State

1st Team all Pac 10

All American Honorable Mention

Was a strong safety most of his life, switched to linebacker in 2004 (his first year at Oregon State) it's quite impressive that he's only been a LB for 2 years.

Anyway, he's really been playing very well on the weak side while Crowell is filling in for Spikes.  Looks like a great late round pick.

793732[/snapback]

Let me add to that. When we drafted Ellison I remarked that it was to eventually become our coverage LB. In our scheme we need an LB that can retreat 20 yards down the middle and cover TE's, posts, and the rest of the middle 1/3. The word out of Oregon State was his 40 was not an indication of how fast he actually plays, and his coverage skills were well above that of a normal LB. Not only does that seem to be the case but Ellison seems to be even more then just a coverage LB. Now he's getting the kind of experience that will allow him to play some run downs, give us depth, and possibly become a starter down the road. Great find.

Getting good players in late rounds (or udfas such as Peters) is a total score.

These guys are paid less, generally easier to re-sign, and they free up the team to go after other positions with early round draft picks.

If Levy did click with this kid and Williams, it will help the team for many years.

He will also need to bulk up a little, if he wants to play 16 game a season.

793759[/snapback]

I don't think he really needs to...he's the same size as Vilma from the Jets. The NFL is changing the way the game is played again. The days of everyone being a 6-2 260 LB are gone. Teams are placing more of an emphasis on speed now.

I don't think he really needs to...he's the same size as Vilma from the Jets.  The NFL is changing the way the game is played again.  The days of everyone being a 6-2 260 LB are gone.  Teams are placing more of an emphasis on speed now.

793765[/snapback]

Quite possible that Ellison could eventually move into the middle and replace London.

Getting good players in late rounds (or udfas such as Peters) is a total score.

These guys are paid less, generally easier to re-sign, and they free up the team to go after other positions with early round draft picks.

793764[/snapback]

They also feel that everyday in the league is a gift, and they tend to play with maximum effort at all times, practice included. I know we can all think of a few high draft picks from big-time college programs who carried a heavy sense of entitlement.

Depending on the player, that $10 million rookie signing bonus for top-10 picks can squash the fire inside. But when you receive no signing bonus, and the alternative is working in a warehouse or driving a truck, the fire tends to burn a bit hotter.

They also feel that everyday in the league is a gift, and they tend to play with maximum effort at all times, practice included.  I know we can all think of a few high draft picks from big-time college programs who carried a heavy sense of entitlement.

Depending on the player, that $10 million rookie signing bonus for top-10 picks can squash the fire inside.  But when you receive no signing bonus, and the alternative is working in a warehouse or driving a truck, the fire tends to burn a bit hotter.

793783[/snapback]

This is completely true. The problem is that there are shortages at certain positions, such as QB, LT and DE.

Every few years a good DE will slip to a later round (Chris Canty for example) but generally speaking, you have to draft them early.

Draft choices such as McGee and Crowell enable teams to devote their early draft resources to positions where early picks are generally the only way to get them.

It's all good.

Quite possible that Ellison could eventually move into the middle and replace London.

793774[/snapback]

Acor,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that's what Crowell is going to eventually do? If mem serves, Mike was his natural backup position but he can now do all three.

793774[/snapback]

Buster Davis from Florida State is a London Fletcher clone...just faster. Would love to see him in a Bills uni next year.

Acor,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that's what Crowell is going to eventually do? If mem serves, Mike was his natural backup position but he can now do all three.

793810[/snapback]

I think that might have been the plan originally. But Crowell has played the outside, both weak and strong that I think it might be hard to move him to the middle. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

That being said, I am a bif Fletcher fan and I think he still has a few years left in him.

I think that might have been the plan originally. But Crowell has played the outside, both weak and strong that I think it might be hard to move him to the middle. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

That being said, I am a bif Fletcher fan and I think he still has a few years left in him.

793892[/snapback]

It's hard to say Fletcher's about to hit the wall after that crazy interception he had last game

Buster Davis from Florida State is a London Fletcher clone...just faster. Would love to see him in a Bills uni next year.

793872[/snapback]

I completely agree!! There's no other MLB that comes close to his talent and ability in CFB right now! However, he will probably go early on in the draft!

I don't think he really needs to...he's the same size as Vilma from the Jets.  The NFL is changing the way the game is played again.  The days of everyone being a 6-2 260 LB are gone.  Teams are placing more of an emphasis on speed now.

I don't know about bulking-up, but a full year plus in the Bills' S&C program will only benefit him.

I completely agree!! There's no other MLB that comes close to his talent and ability in CFB right now! However, he will probably go early on in the draft!

793905[/snapback]

With Spikes getting hurt (and older) and Fletcher a free agent (and older) I wouldn't be surprised if we took a linebacker with our first pick, then an olineman in the second.

Davis fits the profile of guys Marv/Jauron like on defense: successful at a bigtime college program, fast, and instinctive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Although I'm one of the biggest "extend Fletcher for 3 years" posters and prefer LT or DE as our 1st pick(of course), Buster Davis would be a phenominal pick. If he happened to be the BPA even if we resigned Fletch I would make the pick.

I get a kick watching that kid play.......

Looks like he belongs on some highschool team yet plays balls to the wall.

its hard to find bad things to say about the guy!

I think when Spikes returns Ellison will make the special teams unit even stronger!

Let me add to that. When we drafted Ellison I remarked that it was to eventually become our coverage LB. In our scheme we need an LB that can retreat 20 yards down the middle and cover TE's, posts, and the rest of the middle 1/3. The word out of Oregon State was his 40 was not an indication of how fast he actually plays, and his coverage skills were well above that of a normal LB. Not only does that seem to be the case but Ellison seems to be even more then just a coverage LB. Now he's getting the kind of experience that will allow him to play some run downs, give us depth, and possibly become a starter down the road. Great find.

793758[/snapback]

That may indeed turn out to be the case, but he got BURNED by Kevin Faulk badly for a TD week one. I say him on him, rookie on a speed back, and cried NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO before the play even happened.

Ah well, he's a rook, he'll get better...