A few observations at the quarter pole...

LabattBlue

- JP has played better than I expected. Hopefully he will continue to progress throughout the season and the QB position will not have to be addressed(AGAIN) in the off-season.

- Shelton SUCKS! Bring back Joe Burns, bring back Earthquake Enyart, bring back Ricard. Just make Shelton GO AWAY!

-WM has had some VERY good moments running the ball. Pass blocking still leaves a lot to be desired, but that block he layed on that DL today was AWESOME!

-I thought we signed Triplett in the off-season? Did he change his mind and decide to stay in INDY?

-Schobel continues to be a mystery to me. He continues his pattern of being a dominant force against some doormat of an OT and then proceeds to disappear for a few games.

-Evans has been every bit as good as advertised. Parrish, Price & Reed have been very solid.

-The TE's continue to be average at best. Everett has shown nothing and Royal wants the number of the truck that ran over him today. Can we bring back Euhus or Reimersma back for another chance?

-Surprisingly, Whitner and Simpson have not been picked on more. If they can continue to progress, we can forget about having to address the starting safety positions for many years to come.

-For a low round draft choice, Ellison has stepped in as a rookie and done a helluva job filling in for Spikes. Crowell has also been solid.

-Clements is good, but not great. He was picked on several times in the first half and Brad Johnson did not seem to be shying away from his side at all. He is a very good corner, but not worth 7 million a year. Find a 2nd tier CB to replace him next year(3 mil or so per year) or draft a CB in one of the first two rounds of the draft. You can never have enough good DB's.

- A 2-2 start has to be pleasing for Jauron and Co. After 5 years of GW & MM, it is so nice not to hear about bullhorns, alarm clocks, trick plays, media battles, etc...

GO BILLS!!!

- JP has played better than I expected.  Hopefully he will continue to progress throughout the season and the QB position will not have to be addressed(AGAIN) in the off-season.

- Shelton SUCKS!  Bring back Joe Burns, bring back Earthquake Enyart, bring back Ricard.  Just make Shelton GO AWAY!

-WM has had some VERY good moments running the ball.  Pass blocking still leaves a lot to be desired, but that block he layed on that DL today was AWESOME!

-I thought we signed Triplett in the off-season?  Did he change his mind and decide to stay in INDY?

-Schobel continues to be a mystery to me.  He continues his pattern of being a dominant force against some doormat of an OT and then proceeds to disappear for a few games.

-Evans has been every bit as good as advertised.  Parrish, Price & Reed have been very solid. 

-The TE's continue to be average at best.  Everett has shown nothing and Royal wants the number of the truck that ran over him today.  Can we bring back Euhus or Reimersma back for another chance?

-Surprisingly, Whitner and Simpson have not been picked on more.  If they can continue to progress, we can forget about having to address the starting safety positions for many years to come.

-For a low round draft choice, Ellison has stepped in as a rookie and done a helluva job filling in for Spikes.  Crowell has also been solid.

-Clements is good, but not great.  He was picked on several times in the first half and Brad Johnson did not seem to be shying away from his side at all.  He is a very good corner, but not worth 7 million a year.  Find a 2nd tier CB to replace him next year(3 mil or so per year) or draft a CB in one of the first two rounds of the draft.  You can never have enough good DB's.

- A 2-2 start has to be pleasing for Jauron and Co.  After 5 years of GW & MM, it is so nice not to hear about bullhorns, alarm clocks, trick plays, media battles, etc...

GO BILLS!!!

792068[/snapback]

Nice post bud , I think most of us agree.

GO BILLS!

- JP has played better than I expected.  Hopefully he will continue to progress throughout the season and the QB position will not have to be addressed(AGAIN) in the off-season.

- Shelton SUCKS!  Bring back Joe Burns, bring back Earthquake Enyart, bring back Ricard.  Just make Shelton GO AWAY!

-WM has had some VERY good moments running the ball.  Pass blocking still leaves a lot to be desired, but that block he layed on that DL today was AWESOME!

-I thought we signed Triplett in the off-season?  Did he change his mind and decide to stay in INDY?

-Schobel continues to be a mystery to me.  He continues his pattern of being a dominant force against some doormat of an OT and then proceeds to disappear for a few games.

-Evans has been every bit as good as advertised.  Parrish, Price & Reed have been very solid. 

-The TE's continue to be average at best.  Everett has shown nothing and Royal wants the number of the truck that ran over him today.  Can we bring back Euhus or Reimersma back for another chance?

-Surprisingly, Whitner and Simpson have not been picked on more.  If they can continue to progress, we can forget about having to address the starting safety positions for many years to come.

-For a low round draft choice, Ellison has stepped in as a rookie and done a helluva job filling in for Spikes.  Crowell has also been solid.

-Clements is good, but not great.  He was picked on several times in the first half and Brad Johnson did not seem to be shying away from his side at all.  He is a very good corner, but not worth 7 million a year.  Find a 2nd tier CB to replace him next year(3 mil or so per year) or draft a CB in one of the first two rounds of the draft.  You can never have enough good DB's.

- A 2-2 start has to be pleasing for Jauron and Co.  After 5 years of GW & MM, it is so nice not to hear about bullhorns, alarm clocks, trick plays, media battles, etc...

GO BILLS!!!

792068[/snapback]

I agree with some things and disagree with others

- Why does Shelton suck? I dont have an arguement here, Im just interested in your opinion.

- Uhm. Royal had a nice catch today that nearly went for a TD

- Whitner was picked on a few times today. Most noticably the "would-have-been" 50+ yard TD that the WR burned him on which would have cost the Bills the game.

- Clements was picked on? Huh? I did NOT see that. One of the best football lines is "if you dont hear a CB's name called more than 2 or 3 times a game, then he is doing a good job" ... and guess what? his name was only called about twice. He played a good game. I believe McGee was the one who got burned for the only TD today. Go figure. Clements is a great CB and is in the top 3 of CB's in my opinion and if we dont sign him then someone else will (and will pay him top dollar) ... he will play good next year and someone hear will start a post about wishing we had signed him. Period.

Most other things I agree with though!

I agree with some things and disagree with others

- Why does Shelton suck? I dont have an arguement here, Im just interested in your opinion.

- Uhm. Royal had a nice catch today that nearly went for a TD

- Whitner was picked on a few times today. Most noticably the "would-have-been" 50+ yard TD that the WR burned him on which would have cost the Bills the game.

- Clements was picked on? Huh? I did NOT see that. One of the best football lines is "if you dont hear a CB's name called more than 2 or 3 times a game, then he is doing a good job" ... and guess what? his name was only called about twice. He played a good game. I believe McGee was the one who got burned for the only TD today. Go figure. Clements is a great CB and is in the top 3 of CB's in my opinion and if we dont sign him then someone else will (and will pay him top dollar) ... he will play good next year and someone hear will start a post about wishing we had signed him. Period.

Most other things I agree with though!

792229[/snapback]

-Shelton...misses as many blocks as he makes. Terrible hands in the passing game.

-Maybe Royal will be better as the season wears on. Considering he was one of the first guys the Bills targeted, I expected more.

-You want to jump all over Whitner for poor play, but you did not see Johnson complete several passes in the 1st quarter to the WR Clements was covering. Whitner is a rookie 4 games into his NFL career. Clements is a 7 million dollar CB. One of the top 3 CB's in the NFL?? I guess we'll agree to disagree.

>>>>-I thought we signed Triplett in the off-season?  Did he change his mind and decide to stay in INDY?<<<<

Triplett isn't putting up numbers, but he is providing constant pressure in the middle, pressure that didn't exist last year.

>>>>-Schobel continues to be a mystery to me.  He continues his pattern of being a dominant force against some doormat of an OT and then proceeds to disappear for a few games.<<<<

Don't worry about AS. He can make plays against any OT. He is another guy that provides steady pressure, AND he is better vs. the run than he used to be.

>>>>-Clements is good, but not great.  He was picked on several times in the first half and Brad Johnson did not seem to be shying away from his side at all.  He is a very good corner, but not worth 7 million a year.  Find a 2nd tier CB to replace him next year(3 mil or so per year) or draft a CB in one of the first two rounds of the draft.  You can never have enough good DB's.<<<<

Maybe it was the beer, but I thought Clements had a great game Blue Man.  B-)  I hope we keep him. As far as a first round corner next year, perish the thought!

792068[/snapback]

-Shelton...misses as many blocks as he makes.  Terrible hands in the passing game.

-Maybe Royal will be better as the season wears on.  Considering he was one of the first guys the Bills targeted, I expected more. 

-You want to jump all over Whitner for poor play, but you did not see Johnson complete several passes in the 1st quarter to the WR Clements was covering.  Whitner is a rookie 4 games into his NFL career.  Clements is a 7 million dollar CB. One of the top 3 CB's in the NFL??  I guess we'll agree to disagree.

792507[/snapback]

And of those passes how many led to points ... 0

He is a good CB

And of those passes how many led to points ... 0

He is a good CB

792646[/snapback]

Wait a minute. Two posts ago you said he was one of the top 3 CB's in the NFL, now you have downgraded him to "he is a good CB"?

He is not "great" and therefore he does not warrant a 7 million dollar salary. It's a moot point. I don't believe the Bills are going to get him to sign a contrtact prior to FA and at that point, he will sell his soul to the highest bidder.

Triplett isn't putting up numbers, but he is providing constant pressure in the middle, pressure that didn't exist last year.

Don't worry about AS. He can make plays against any OT. He is another guy that provides steady pressure, AND he is better vs. the run than he used to be.

792642[/snapback]

I'll have to keep a closer eye on these two, but except for the Miami game when we went on a pass rushing frenzy, I haven't seen a lot of pressure nor plays in terms of run stopping.

Royal got destroyed on a pass block that caused a sack. I thought that was his forte, to be a good blocking TE. He also dropped a pass on the first series of the game that would have been a first down, but he has not been a liability and I think he has good potential in the passing game.

Royal is not an elite TE by any means, but he's OK. I think Shelton is in serious decline, and the Bills need to address the FB position in the next offseason.WM has had some terrific blocks in other games. I think in the Miami game he took on two rushers on the same play and saved JP's hide. He also had the now infamous wiff on a block that may have cost the Bills the Jets game. He's got to get more consistent. He was very good in the Vikings game, and I hope that begins a trend, but you need more than one game to make a trend.