Capital District fans...

FanfromAlbany

As a Bills Fan in the Capital District you only have a couple of choices because of the crappy coverage the Bills get locally. Sports Bar , NFL Ticket on Direct TV or go to a friends house who has Direct TV.

Up until the middle of last yr, I, too, had DTV w/ Sunday Ticket & I agree w/ you that it is/was great.

Unfortunately and somewhat ironically, upon buying a new TV, since DTV offers such poor High Def programming (& required purchasing a $500 rcvr at the time), I was forced to cancel my svc.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Bills Fan in the Capital District you only have a couple of choices because of the crappy coverage the Bills get locally. Sports Bar , NFL Ticket on Direct TV or go to a friends house who has Direct TV.

I opted for Direct TV 5 years ago. Takes all the worry out of whether or not you can see the game- The only time I miss a game now on TV is when I go to the game= then I record it on DVR.

It's worth every penny and less expensive then going to the sports bar.

Go Bills !!

789724[/snapback]

Same with me.

For those of you looking for a place to go the Bills Backers have a pretty good arrangement with the teletheater on Central Ave. in Albany.

This is the reply I just got from Becker:

Mark,

I will pass your message to our programming department, but I believe

the decision has already been made.

Sorry,

Rich Becker

Sports Director

FOX23

28 Corporate Circle

Albany, NY 12203

w)518-862-2323

789709[/snapback]

Well, it seems official. Here's the reply I got from Rich Becker:

"I am sorry to ruin your birthday, but we will be showing the Cowboys

game on Sunday. The decision is made by our programming department back

up by statistical research. Having covered the Bills for 8 seasons when

I was in western NY, I know first hand how passionate Bills fans are. I

am sure we'll get several complaints, likely the same number we'd have

received from Dallas fans if we went with the Bills game."

<_<

Well, it seems official. Here's the reply I got from Rich Becker:

"I am sorry to ruin your birthday, but we will be showing the Cowboys

game on Sunday. The decision is made by our programming department back

up by statistical research.  Having covered the Bills for 8 seasons when

I was in western NY, I know first hand how passionate Bills fans are.  I

am sure we'll get several complaints, likely the same number we'd have

received from Dallas fans if we went with the Bills game."

<_<

789821[/snapback]

Is he really saying there are as many Cowboy fans as Bills fans?

Is he really saying there are as many Cowboy fans as Bills fans?

789828[/snapback]

It sounds like the statistics are the number of complaints and he's saying the Cowboy fans naturally whine more. This said, I'd get as many people to complain as possible so the math works out differently the next time around.

Thanks to all who e-mailed Rich Becker. I did too but haven't gotten a response yet. I guess I'll head up to Courtney's in Latham on Sunday to watch the game. I was just hoping to use the new TV to see thegame.

Up until the middle of last yr, I, too, had DTV w/ Sunday Ticket & I agree w/ you that it is/was great.

Unfortunately and somewhat ironically, upon buying a new TV, since DTV offers such poor High Def programming (& required purchasing a $500 rcvr at the time), I was forced to cancel my svc.

eSJayDee,

I was thinking about going back to DirectTV and gettingSunday Ticket. Why were you unhappy with their HD programming? Too few channels? Low quality?

eSJayDee,

I was thinking about going back to DirectTV and gettingSunday Ticket. Why were you unhappy with their HD programming? Too few channels? Low quality?

Well, the 1st reason was that upon wishing to upgrade to HD (w/ recording capability) I found that I had to spend $500 on a new rcvr (I believe they've now dropped that to like $300). I was unwilling to do that.

FWIW, I was unable to 'cut a deal' w/ Customer Retention either to retain just Sunday Ticket or get a HD-DVR rcvr that so many advocate. Maybe I'm not persuasive enough.

Further, they do not broadcast in true HD (they compress the signal); I don't know to what extent that ruins the viewing experience as I've never seen their picture.

Why I haven't switched back is that they have fewer channels than TWC and is more expensive especially when you consider the discount I rcv for having RoadRunner.

A different story: I realize that Dish has more still to offer WRT HD programming, but I've tried to sign up & install twice and they're just WAY too much of a pain to deal w/.

My interpretation of them saying their market was an "NFC mkt" due to the Giants is

"We don't want to help promote the Bills which are a product of our competitors". :huh::D

After thinking about it, how many people do you see w/ Comboy jackets or T-shirts in Albany? Granted, my observations are likely biased more toward remembering Bills stuff, but I don't even recall seeing any of their stuff in stores. :o

It sounds like the statistics are the number of complaints and he's saying the Cowboy fans naturally whine more.  This said, I'd get as many people to complain as possible so the math works out differently the next time around.

789834[/snapback]

He's probably just following marching orders. Networks believe the "star" system pays...so we got years of seeing Farve, Brady, any Cowboy team, now Vick and Bush.

And they're right. The public fawns over no-talent clods with pearly teeth, touseled hair, foul language or prominent bust lines. The tackier the better - Super Bowl halftime shows, for example.

They give the people what they want...crap! :D

More Cowboys fans than Buffalo fans in Albany NY? he cant be serious. i cant remember the last time time i ran into a cowboy fan here. this is gints country, with bills and pats and jets condsidered secondary local teams/markets. dallas? no.

only thing that makes some sense is that dallas is in giants division, but that should not trump a bills/pats/jets game

Here's the e-mail I sent this AM:

Nice choice for today’s game.  The Titans?  Is that serious?

Last I checked, the Buffalo Bills were an Upstate New York team.  You get two opportunities per season to show them on your channel.  While the Cowboys certainly have some fans everywhere, they do not have nearly as many local fans as the Bills.  The Vikings absolutely have more fans here than the Titans. 

The Bills are a small market team.  If they are ultimately forced to move to Los Angeles will you show more of their games because they have become more glamorous?

Thanks for the support

It was a little overstated I know, but their decision is ridiculous too.

Response to my email on showing Bills game:

The Cowboys are in the NFC east, same as the Giants though. Plus Dallas has a load of interest in our area. Here is an explanation on the decision from our general manager, Jeff Whitson.

the game was assigned to FOX23 by the FOX network. We can challenge them for a change, but we did not for the following reasons:

1. Albany is first and foremost a NY Giants market and therefore an NFC market in the mind of the NFL, which is why we air Eagles, Redskins and Cowboy games when we have a doubleheader or no Giants game on a single header weekend.

2. There is as much (if not more) interest in a Cowboy game than a Bills game due to a large number of Cowboys fans and NFC team interest...and yes...there are years of ratings to support that claim.

Hope that helps. Here are a few places I've found that will be showing the game.

Saratoga Bills Backers - Peabody's Phila Street in Saratoga www.saratogabbbackers.com.

The Albany Bills Backers club is listed as meeting at ARC Sports Bar: 1013 8th Ave. Watervliet, NY. I waiting for confirmation on that one as it is a 2005 listing.

Rich Becker

Sports Director

FOX23

28 Corporate Circle

Albany, NY 12203

w)518-862-2323

c)518-461-0034

e)richbecker@fox23news.com

"No One Brings You Closer To The Game Than FOX23 Sports"

The Cowboys are in the NFC east, same as the Giants though. Plus Dallas has a load of interest in our area.  Here is an explanation on the decision from our general manager, Jeff Whitson.

the game was assigned to FOX23 by the FOX network.  We can challenge them for a change, but we did not for the following reasons:

1. Albany is first and foremost a NY Giants market and therefore an NFC market in the mind of the NFL, which is why we air Eagles, Redskins and Cowboy games when we have a doubleheader or no Giants game on a single header weekend. 

2. There is as much (if not more) interest in a Cowboy game than a Bills game due to a large number of Cowboys fans and NFC team interest...and yes...there are years of ratings to support that claim. 

Hope that helps.  Here are a few places I've found that will be showing the game.

Saratoga Bills Backers - Peabody's Phila Street in Saratoga www.saratogabbbackers.com. 

The Albany Bills Backers club is listed as meeting at ARC Sports Bar: 1013 8th Ave. Watervliet, NY. I waiting for confirmation on that one as it is a 2005 listing.

Rich Becker

Sports Director

FOX23

28 Corporate Circle

Albany, NY 12203

w)518-862-2323

c)518-461-0034

790973[/snapback]

The Cowboys are in the NFC east, same as the Giants though. Plus Dallas has a load of interest in our area.  Here is an explanation on the decision from our general manager, Jeff Whitson.

the game was assigned to FOX23 by the FOX network.  We can challenge them for a change, but we did not for the following reasons:

Hope that helps.  Here are a few places I've found that will be showing the game.

Rich Becker

Sports Director

FOX23

28 Corporate Circle

Albany, NY 12203

w)518-862-2323

c)518-461-0034

790973[/snapback]

I got the same insulting BS reply. Here is my response:

Thanks for the reply. It makes very little sense but thanks for taking the time (seriously….you didn’t have to reply...thanks for responding). The Cowboys simply do not have anywhere near the local following of the Bills. It was interesting you found the Bills backers clubs so easily. If the Cowboys have such a big following I wonder if their backers clubs are easily found as well.

The Dallas/Titans game was as captivating as expected..

Did you switch to the Saints/Panthers game at the end because, like the Cowboys, the Panthers have more local fans than the Bills?