You beer snobs are wasting your money

JoeFerguson

I am not positive of the alcohol content of the Chimay Exports, but if you're drinking a real 2006 Chimay, at 9%, it's probably four times as strong as a 1993 Americanized Moosehead which should have lost some of its bite. So if you drink one $5.00 Chimay to the, say, $1.50 for a single bottle of Moosehead, you're actually making a buck on the Chimay. Drink ten, you make ten bucks. And can buy two more Chimays. A better value and better taste. Just sayin'.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't you like 15 years old?  :doh:

Prior to turning 21, the only beers you are allowed to drink are Milwaukees Best (THE BEAST) or Genny. Everything else is off limits until you are of age. I think that might be man law, I'm not sure.

789450[/snapback]

Not quite my man. I am 19, and when you have been drinking as long as someone my age has, you can have your choice of beverage. Side note, i have been drinking since 6th grade. The average teen starts drinking at the age of 15 or 16. I started drinking legitametly around the time that i was 13, so if you take the extra years i have been drinking and add them to my age, i am 21.

I am not counting the two years of drinking that were compacted into the 17 week binge as a sophmore in high school. I have had run in's with beast, more than i can remember, but i have developed a fine taste for beer.

I am not positive of the alcohol content of the Chimay Exports, but if you're drinking a real 2006 Chimay, at 9%, it's probably four times as strong as a 1993 Americanized Moosehead which should have lost some of its bite. So if you drink one $5.00 Chimay to the, say, $1.50 for a single bottle of Moosehead, you're actually making a buck on the Chimay. Drink ten, you make ten bucks. And can buy two more Chimays. A better value and better taste. Just sayin'.

789464[/snapback]

Drink yourself to prosperity. I like it.

Not quite my man. I am 19, and when you have been drinking as long as someone my age has, you can have your choice of beverage. Side note, i have been drinking since 6th grade. The average teen starts drinking at the age of 15 or 16. I started drinking legitametly around the time that i was 13, so if you take the extra years i have been drinking and add them to my age, i am 21.

I am not counting the two years of drinking that were compacted into the 17 week binge as a sophmore in high school. I have had run in's with beast, more than i can remember, but i have developed a fine taste for beer.

789494[/snapback]

Seek help.

I have some updated news regarding the Moosehead I drank last night. The bottle of '93 Moosehead was in a gift box my dad got for Christmas. The box was titled "Beers from around the World". There was also a bottle of Bass, Dos Equis, some Pilsner Urquell, Harp, Guiness Gold, Kalibur(non-alcoholic) and another bottle of Moosehead.

I tasted the Dos Equis tonight, and it did not taste anything like the Dos Equis bottles I've had before. In fact, it tasted almost exactly like the bottle of "Moosehead" I had last night. Then I cracked open the bottle of Bass....did NOT taste like Bass, tasted a lot like the "Moosehead" from last night. The other three tasted like "Moosehead" as well. As I was dumping these bottles, I also noticed that they all had the exact same color. Apparently the "aging" process turned them all into a generic cidery tasting liquid. The only one that actually tasted "bad" was the Kalibur, which had completely skunked.

This means that I have to do my taste test all over again!

I have some updated news regarding the Moosehead I drank last night.  The bottle of '93 Moosehead was in a gift box my dad got for Christmas.  The box was titled "Beers from around the World".  There was also a bottle of Bass, Dos Equis, some German Pilsner Urquell, Harp, Guiness Gold, Kalibur(non-alcoholic) and another bottle of Moosehead. 

I tasted the Dos Equis tonight, and it did not taste anything like the Dos Equis bottles I've had before.  In fact, it tasted almost exactly like the bottle of "Moosehead" I had last night.  Then I cracked open the bottle of Bass....did NOT taste like Bass, tasted a lot like the "Moosehead" from last night.  The other three tasted like "Moosehead" as well.  As I was dumping these bottles, I also noticed that they all had the exact same color.  Apparently the "aging" process turned them all into a generic cidery tasting liquid.  The only one that actually tasted "bad" was the Kalibur, which had completely skunked. 

This means that I have to do my taste test all over again!

789645[/snapback]

I was wondering what happened to my "stash"

But seriously, the way I judge a beer is slightly different than most people. For me taste is important, but the number 1 criteria is the "morning after" test. (the absence of a headache the morning after)

My top rating goes to Heiniken.

I picked up some dogfish head 120minute based on recommendations here and from a friend and it sucked.

Last time I listen to you snobs. <_<

789664[/snapback]

Have you had an IIPA before? If not, you probably should have started with the DFH90 before jumping to the 120. Too much of a jump for delicate palates. :lol:

You want good stuff?

Try a quality bracket. Think porter, only unhopped and REALLY alcoholic. A good one is >11% alcohol.

EDIT: I'm going to be starting one soon. Hope i don't have glass grenades.

789895[/snapback]

Don't you mean braggot?

If you want hops with your beer, try an American Barleywine. Here are the specs:

Aroma: Very rich and intense maltiness. Hop character moderate to assertive and often showcases citrusy or resiny American varieties (although other varieties, such as floral, earthy or spicy English varieties or a blend of varieties, may be used). Low to moderately strong fruity esters and alcohol aromatics. Malt character may be sweet, caramelly, bready, or fairly neutral. However, the intensity of aromatics often subsides with age. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Color may range from light amber to medium copper; may rarely be as dark as light brown. Often has ruby highlights. Moderately-low to large off-white to light tan head; may have low head retention. May be cloudy with chill haze at cooler temperatures, but generally clears to good to brilliant clarity as it warms. The color may appear to have great depth, as if viewed through a thick glass lens. High alcohol and viscosity may be visible in "legs" when beer is swirled in a glass.

Flavor: Strong, intense malt flavor with noticeable bitterness. Moderately low to moderately high malty sweetness on the palate, although the finish may be somewhat sweet to quite dry (depending on aging). Hop bitterness may range from moderately strong to aggressive. While strongly malty, the balance should always seem bitter. Moderate to high hop flavor (any variety). Low to moderate fruity esters. Noticeable alcohol presence, but sharp or solventy alcohol flavors are undesirable. Flavors will smooth out and decline over time, but any oxidized character should be muted (and generally be masked by the hop character). May have some bready or caramelly malt flavors, but these should not be high. Roasted or burnt malt flavors are inappropriate. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and chewy, with a velvety, luscious texture (although the body may decline with long conditioning). Alcohol warmth should be present, but not be excessively hot. Should not be syrupy and under-attenuated. Carbonation may be low to moderate, depending on age and conditioning.

Overall Impression: A well-hopped American interpretation of the richest and strongest of the English ales. The hop character should be evident throughout, but does not have to be unbalanced. The alcohol strength and hop bitterness often combine to leave a very long finish.

History: Usually the strongest ale offered by a brewery, and in recent years many commercial examples are now vintage-dated. Normally aged significantly prior to release. Often associated with the winter or holiday season.

Comments: The American version of the Barleywine tends to have a greater emphasis on hop bitterness, flavor and aroma than the English Barleywine, and often features American hop varieties. Differs from an Imperial IPA in that the hops are not extreme, the malt is more forward, and the body is richer and more characterful.

Ingredients: Well-modified pale malt should form the backbone of the grist. Some specialty or character malts may be used. Dark malts should be used with great restraint, if at all, as most of the color arises from a lengthy boil. Citrusy American hops are common, although any varieties can be used in quantity. Generally uses an attenuative American yeast.

Vital Statistics:

ABV: 8 - 12+%

Commercial Examples: Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, Rogue Old Crustacean, Anchor Old Foghorn, Victory Old Horizontal, Brooklyn Monster Ale, Avery Hog Heaven Barleywine, Bell's Third Coast Old Ale, Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot, Three Floyds Behemoth, Old Dominion Millennium, Stone Old Guardian, Bridgeport Old Knucklehead, Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws, Left Hand Widdershins

I highly recommend the Victory Old Horizontal (about 12%abv)

Don't you mean braggot?

If you want hops with your beer, try an American Barleywine. Here are the specs:

Aroma:  Very rich and intense maltiness. Hop character moderate to assertive and often showcases citrusy or resiny American varieties (although other varieties, such as floral, earthy or spicy English varieties or a blend of varieties, may be used). Low to moderately strong fruity esters and alcohol aromatics. Malt character may be sweet, caramelly, bready, or fairly neutral. However, the intensity of aromatics often subsides with age. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Color may range from light amber to medium copper; may rarely be as dark as light brown. Often has ruby highlights. Moderately-low to large off-white to light tan head; may have low head retention. May be cloudy with chill haze at cooler temperatures, but generally clears to good to brilliant clarity as it warms. The color may appear to have great depth, as if viewed through a thick glass lens. High alcohol and viscosity may be visible in "legs" when beer is swirled in a glass.

Flavor: Strong, intense malt flavor with noticeable bitterness. Moderately low to moderately high malty sweetness on the palate, although the finish may be somewhat sweet to quite dry (depending on aging). Hop bitterness may range from moderately strong to aggressive. While strongly malty, the balance should always seem bitter. Moderate to high hop flavor (any variety). Low to moderate fruity esters. Noticeable alcohol presence, but sharp or solventy alcohol flavors are undesirable. Flavors will smooth out and decline over time, but any oxidized character should be muted (and generally be masked by the hop character). May have some bready or caramelly malt flavors, but these should not be high. Roasted or burnt malt flavors are inappropriate. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and chewy, with a velvety, luscious texture (although the body may decline with long conditioning). Alcohol warmth should be present, but not be excessively hot. Should not be syrupy and under-attenuated. Carbonation may be low to moderate, depending on age and conditioning.

Overall Impression: A well-hopped American interpretation of the richest and strongest of the English ales. The hop character should be evident throughout, but does not have to be unbalanced. The alcohol strength and hop bitterness often combine to leave a very long finish.

History: Usually the strongest ale offered by a brewery, and in recent years many commercial examples are now vintage-dated. Normally aged significantly prior to release. Often associated with the winter or holiday season.

Comments: The American version of the Barleywine tends to have a greater emphasis on hop bitterness, flavor and aroma than the English Barleywine, and often features American hop varieties. Differs from an Imperial IPA in that the hops are not extreme, the malt is more forward, and the body is richer and more characterful.

Ingredients: Well-modified pale malt should form the backbone of the grist. Some specialty or character malts may be used. Dark malts should be used with great restraint, if at all, as most of the color arises from a lengthy boil. Citrusy American hops are common, although any varieties can be used in quantity. Generally uses an attenuative American yeast.

Vital Statistics:

ABV: 8 - 12+%

Commercial Examples: Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, Rogue Old Crustacean, Anchor Old Foghorn, Victory Old Horizontal, Brooklyn Monster Ale, Avery Hog Heaven Barleywine, Bell's Third Coast Old Ale, Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot, Three Floyds Behemoth, Old Dominion Millennium, Stone Old Guardian, Bridgeport Old Knucklehead, Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws, Left Hand Widdershins

I highly recommend the Victory Old Horizontal (about 12%abv)

789908[/snapback]

Wiki entry for Mead, scroll down.

I picked up some dogfish head 120minute based on recommendations here and from a friend and it sucked.

Last time I listen to you snobs. :lol:

789664[/snapback]

The 120 minute tastes like paint thinner. The 90 minute is where it's at. The 60 is very good also but the 90 is excellent.

Ithaca Brewing is making a Double IPA with 100% NY hops. Its great. Very smooth for a DIPA. Of course with a 10% ABV it might be too smooth. <_<

Aren't you like 15 years old?  <_<

Prior to turning 21, the only beers you are allowed to drink are Milwaukees Best (THE BEAST) or Genny. Everything else is off limits until you are of age. I think that might be man law, I'm not sure.

789450[/snapback]

Depends on where you're from. You can also drink Molson XXX and or Natural Ice.