You beer snobs are wasting your money

JoeFerguson

I don't consider myself a regular poster on this board, but I certainly do consider myself a regular lurker. I'm not sure what reminded me of it, but for some reason I was inclined to resurrect this thread. On my way home, I stopped by Premier Gourmet on Delaware (as per KRC's suggestion) and bought myself an 11.20 oz. bottle of Chimay Grand Reserve (blue label) as well as another bottle of Chimay Premier (red label). At $5 a bottle, I was really expecting an orgasmic experience with every sip.

I figured the most scientific way to taste test this beer was to simultaneously compare it to something really awful. I decided to drink two beers this evening: my recently purchased bottle of Chimay Grand Reserve, followed by a bottle of Moosehead Beer. Now some of you may be saying to yourself, "Wait a minute, Moosehead Beer isn't that bad." You might be right, but this particular bottle of Moosehead has been sitting in the basement since Christmas of 1993. Don't worry, I did a little research and learned that old beer won't kill you, it will just taste terrible. Now let's discuss the beer flavors.

I must say, the Chimay Grand Reserve tasted a lot better than the 1993 bottle of Moosehead. Based on taste alone, Chimay wins. But is the taste difference worth the $4 price difference? Not in my opinion. So to all you beer snobs who insist that you'll only drink something brewed by Trappist monks, I ask you, what was I doing wrong? Am I supposed to stick my nose deep in the mug before I take a sip? Am I supposed to be chanting in a monastery to truly enjoy the flavor? Do I need to cleanse my palette with ginger after every sip? Should I not mix Chimay Grand Reserve with a meal of hamburger and baked beans? Finally, where did you get all the extra money to blow on high class beer?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't consider myself a regular poster on this board, but I certainly do consider myself a regular lurker.  I'm not sure what reminded me of it, but for some reason I was inclined to resurrect this thread.  On my way home, I stopped by Premier Gourmet on Delaware (as per KRC's suggestion) and bought myself an 11.20 oz. bottle of Chimay Grand Reserve (blue label) as well as another bottle of Chimay Premier (red label).  At $5 a bottle, I was really expecting an orgasmic experience with every sip.

I figured the most scientific way to taste test this beer was to simultaneously compare it to something really awful.  I decided to drink two beers this evening:  my recently purchased bottle of Chimay Grand Reserve, followed by a bottle of Moosehead Beer.  Now some of you may be saying to yourself, "Wait a minute, Moosehead Beer isn't that bad."  You might be right, but this particular bottle of Moosehead has been sitting in the basement since Christmas of 1993.  Don't worry, I did a little research and learned that old beer won't kill you, it will just taste terrible.  Now let's discuss the beer flavors.

I must say, the Chimay Grand Reserve tasted a lot better than the 1993 bottle of Moosehead.  Based on taste alone, Chimay wins.  But is the taste difference worth the $4 price difference?  Not in my opinion.  So to all you beer snobs who insist that you'll only drink something brewed by Trappist monks, I ask you, what was I doing wrong?  Am I supposed to stick my nose deep in the mug before I take a sip?  Am I supposed to be chanting in a monastery to truly enjoy the flavor?  Do I need to cleanse my palette with ginger after every sip?  Should I not mix Chimay Grand Reserve with a meal of hamburger and baked beans?  Finally, where did you get all the extra money to blow on high class beer?

788901[/snapback]

There are a few things you could have done to improve the experience. First, you were comparing two different styles of beer. Moosehead is a lager and the Chimay Blue is a Belgian Dark Strong Ale. As a result, they need to be served at two different temperatures. Generally, I serve beer at approximately five degrees below fermentation temperature. Therefore, the Moosehead would be served at about 45-50 degrees and the Chimay at about 60 degrees. Serving at a colder temperature will mask or even eliminate the flavor of the beer (which is why Coors Light wants you to serve their beer as cold as humanly possible, because they do not want you to actually taste the beer). If you served the Chimay too cold, then you do not really taste the flavor of the beer.

Next, if you are doing a truly side-by-side comparison, you need to cleanse your palate between tastings. Otherwise, you are potentially altering the taste of the subsequent beers. Try saltine crackers and some water between tastings. This will make sure that the previous beer is not effecting the next one you taste.

While Chimay Blue is not the best beer for hamburger and baked beans, it should not be too bad. Depending on the flavor of the beans, you might overpower the Chimay. If you wanted to go with another Belgian Dark Strong Ale, I would have picked St. Bernardius abt12 with that food combo. It has a stronger flavor than the Chimay Blue and would have worked better. Personally, I would have gone IPA with a hamburger and baked beans. This way, you can load up on the condiments and still have a beer that will cut through the flavors without overpowering things too much. My favorite is Hop Devil from Victory Brewing.

As far as the Chimay Red, I was not really that impressed with it. It is a Belgian Dubbel and I have had better Belgian Dubbels (honestly, I prefer my Belgian Dubbel to Chimay’s, but I might be biased). I have yet to try the Trippel (white label).

As far as the aging, it depends on the beer as to how well it will age, along with the conditions in which it was stored. The Moosehead will be pretty bad after 13 years. The Chimay Blue, on the other hand, keeps improving with age. As you hit 10 years, it will take on port or sherry-like qualities.

I commend you on at least trying the beer. We have had several threads here where people ask for recommendations, but never report back as to whether that actually tried any of the beer recommendations.

There are a few things you could have done to improve the experience. First, you were comparing two different styles of beer. Moosehead is a lager and the Chimay Blue is a Belgian Dark Strong Ale. As a result, they need to be served at two different temperatures. Generally, I serve beer at approximately five degrees below fermentation temperature. Therefore, the Moosehead would be served at about 45-50 degrees and the Chimay at about 60 degrees. Serving at a colder temperature will mask or even eliminate the flavor of the beer (which is why Coors Light wants you to serve their beer as cold as humanly possible, because they do not want you to actually taste the beer). If you served the Chimay too cold, then you do not really taste the flavor of the beer.

Next, if you are doing a truly side-by-side comparison, you need to cleanse your palate between tastings. Otherwise, you are potentially altering the taste of the subsequent beers. Try saltine crackers and some water between tastings. This will make sure that the previous beer is not effecting the next one you taste.

While Chimay Blue is not the best beer for hamburger and baked beans, it should not be too bad. Depending on the flavor of the beans, you might overpower the Chimay. If you wanted to go with another Belgian Dark Strong Ale, I would have picked St. Bernardius abt12 with that food combo. It has a stronger flavor than the Chimay Blue and would have worked better. Personally, I would have gone IPA with a hamburger and baked beans. This way, you can load up on the condiments and still have a beer that will cut through the flavors without overpowering things too much. My favorite is Hop Devil from Victory Brewing.

As far as the Chimay Red, I was not really that impressed with it. It is a Belgian Dubbel and I have had better Belgian Dubbels (honestly, I prefer my Belgian Dubbel to Chimay’s, but I might be biased). I have yet to try the Trippel (white label).

As far as the aging, it depends on the beer as to how well it will age, along with the conditions in which it was stored. The Moosehead will be pretty bad after 13 years. The Chimay Blue, on the other hand, keeps improving with age. As you hit 10 years, it will take on port or sherry-like qualities.

I commend you on at least trying the beer. We have had several threads here where people ask for recommendations, but never report back as to whether that actually tried any of the beer recommendations.

789053[/snapback]

I'm biased too, Kenneth. I prefer your brew to the Chimay as well.

789053[/snapback]

All sarcasm aside, I really did enjoy the taste of the Chimay. Actually, I drank the Chimay first in its entirity, and then drank the Moosehead, so it wasn't a side by side comparison. When you say you serve your beer at these temperatures, do you actually put a thermometer in the beer to make sure it's the right temperature?

Another thing I was wondering, how long is the shelf life after uncorking the 750 mL bottle of Chimay? I'm definitely not going to drink that much in one sitting.

Finally, the Moosehead really didn't taste that bad, considering it was so old.

All sarcasm aside, I really did enjoy the taste of the Chimay.  Actually, I drank the Chimay first in its entirity, and then drank the Moosehead, so it wasn't a side by side comparison.  When you say you serve your beer at these temperatures, do you actually put a thermometer in the beer to make sure it's the right temperature?

Another thing I was wondering, how long is the shelf life after uncorking the 750 mL bottle of Chimay?  I'm definitely not going to drink that much in one sitting.

Finally, the Moosehead really didn't taste that bad, considering it was so old.

789190[/snapback]

I do not put a thermometer in the beer. I know what temperature the beer is fermented at (tasting as it is fermenting) and I adjust accordingly. I can sense when it is about right for the style.

Shelf life is not that long after it is uncorked. If you open it, plan on drinking it or sharing it.

(which is why Coors Light wants you to serve their beer as cold as humanly possible, because they do not want you to actually taste the beer).

789053[/snapback]

So you admit that you can't create the coldest tasting beer.

Very clever of Coors to include temperature as their secret ingredient. :blink:

Miller High Life. Hands down. It the champanya, i mean seriously people, the champanya.

788955[/snapback]

Aren't you like 15 years old? :doh:

Prior to turning 21, the only beers you are allowed to drink are Milwaukees Best (THE BEAST) or Genny. Everything else is off limits until you are of age. I think that might be man law, I'm not sure.