The NFL Is Filled With A Bunch Of Criminals

Buffalo Baumer

After reading about the Chargers safety that was busted yesterday on drug charges, I realized that it is time to stop glazing over these arrests without justified punishment. Until now, I have never really put much thought into how many of these players are getting off scott free.

I think it is up to the NFL to install a one and done policy IMMEDIATELY. There is a different arrest every single week and it is getting way out of control. These guys obviously came from a tough upbringing BUT they have every reason in the world to straighten up and they still can't make the right decisions. Enough is enough - you get caught on one of these charges and you are OUT OF THE NFL FOR LIFE!!!!!! Maybe losing their meal ticket will make them think twice....

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be willing to bet that there are twice as many crooks per millionaire in the business world than in the NFL. ;)

788233[/snapback]

And if that person in the business world is busted for insider trading or drugs, I bet ya they would not be working for that company much longer. Of course there are just as many people outside of sports dealing in criminal activity and if they are convicted, they are done.

And if that person in the business world is busted for insider trading or drugs, I bet ya they would not be working for that company much longer. Of course there are just as many people outside of sports dealing in criminal activity and if they are convicted, they are done.

788242[/snapback]

Well, not really. It would be completely unfair to players who were arrested for drugs or DUI or even something as heinous as domestic abuse to ban them from the league. Someone arrested for drugs or those other crimes in a business may or may not be fired by that company depending on their policies but can almost always find a job in that same business. The NFL has 32 teams. There are only 32 companies. When a player is arrested he is often cut or traded, and often just suspended. Pretty much the same in the business world. The NFL equivalent of insider trading, a serious federal crime, would be found to be a major drug smuggler or dealer. Those players aren't usually allowed to still play in the NFL. They are in jail and no team signs them.

But 7 year old kids don't have John Rigas posters hanging on their walls...

788254[/snapback]

This is a pet peeve of mine, but no kid thinks he can bet on baseball because Pete Rose did. Everyone knows right from wrong. That same kid may easily emulate how Pete Rose plays baseball. Kids "idolize" players for how they play and act on the field, and to some extent what sneakers they wear and how they appear in video games or commercials. No kid, or virtually no kid, thinks he can drive drunk or beat his wife because his favorite player did or thinks he can kill people because Rae Carruth or OJ Simpson did. And if he does, if he's the one in ten million, that's his parents fault and not the bad example the players set. That kid is fukked up and fukked way before sports stars got him to do drugs.

After reading about the Chargers safety that was busted yesterday on drug charges, I realized that it is time to stop glazing over these arrests without justified punishment. Until now, I have never really put much thought into how many of these players are getting off scott free.

I think it is up to the NFL to install a one and done policy IMMEDIATELY. There is a different arrest every single week and it is getting way out of control. These guys obviously came from a tough upbringing BUT they have every reason in the world to straighten up and they still can't make the right decisions. Enough is enough - you get caught on one of these charges and you are OUT OF THE NFL FOR LIFE!!!!!! Maybe losing their meal ticket will make them think twice....

788223[/snapback]

Out of control?!? ;) NFL players are just like any other segment of society. There are roughly 1600 active players. You're going to have a couple of bad apples. A vast, vast majority of the players are upstanding guys.

This is a pet peeve of mine, but no kid thinks he can bet on baseball because Pete Rose did. Everyone knows right from wrong. That same kid may easily emulate how Pete Rose plays baseball. Kids "idolize" players for how they play and act on the field, and to some extent what sneakers they wear and how they appear in video games or commercials. No kid, or virtually no kid, thinks he can drive drunk or beat his wife because his favorite player did or thinks he can kill people because Rae Carruth or OJ Simpson did. And if he does, if he's the one in ten million, that his parents fault and not the bad example the players set. That kid is fukked up and fukked way before sports stars got him to do drugs.

788264[/snapback]

I'm not looking at it so much as the 7 year old will emulate what their favorite player does off the field, but from the standpoint of the NFL's image. The NFL goes to great length to show fan interaction with it's players (ie take Strahan or McNabb to school). What they try to do is build an image off of the players, and I believe that off the field behavior needs to be dealt with more stringently than what it currently is. Ken Lay or John Rigas didn't market their companies product to the average fan or child, their image was held on quarterly reports. While I'm not naive enough to say that the NFL isn't big business, I am naive enough to believe that the image it's employees portray tarnishes the final product.

I'm not looking at it so much as the 7 year old will emulate what their favorite player does off the field, but from the standpoint of the NFL's image.  The NFL goes to great length to show fan interaction with it's players (ie take Strahan or McNabb to school).  What they try to do is build an image off of the players, and I believe that off the field behavior needs to be dealt with more stringently than what it currently is.  Ken Lay or John Rigas didn't market their companies product to the average fan or child, their image was held on quarterly reports.  While I'm not naive enough to say that the NFL isn't big business, I am naive enough to believe that the image it's employees portray tarnishes the final product.

788271[/snapback]

I see what you're saying, but frankly, IMO the NFL couldn't possibly be doing much better as a business than it is doing at this very moment. Sure, if it were up to me, I would make some minor changes, but they're doing an extraordinary job at their business. And you may not agree, but I don't think the NFL would be any better off right now if they didn't have all these arrests. I don't think it affects their popularity or business one bit. Yes, their image is tarnished but I don't think that translates or affects their business. Fans care a lot more about how many commercials are on during the game than how many DUIs and drug arrests there have been.

I see what you're saying, but frankly, IMO the NFL couldn't possibly be doing much better as a business than it is doing at this very moment. Sure, if it were up to me, I would make some minor changes, but they're doing an extraordinary job at their business. And you may not agree, but I don't think the NFL would be any better off right now if they didn't have all these arrests. I don't think it affects their popularity or business one bit. Yes, their image is tarnished but I don't think that translates or affects their business. Fans care a lot more about how many commercials are on during the game than how many DUIs and drug arrests there have been.

788273[/snapback]

You make good points, I suppose as long as the ratings are through the roof and Networks are dishing out upwards of $1B to carry games arrests don't even register as a blip on the radar

It's a perception based partly on race and on the economic backgrounds of these players that this has made "criminals in the NFL" a media story.  Look up the stats on your congressmen and you'll find that the percentages of bad behavior are more out of whack there than in the NFL.

788293[/snapback]

Good point. Also, perhaps surprisingly, the graduation rates for student athletes is higher than the graduation rate for all other undergraduates. Surely, the stars get a cakewalk through school, and athletes aren't always the greatest scholars, but 98% of student athletes are not stars. And we're talking about actually staying in school at least four years and graduating. You would think it would be quite the opposite.

Good point. Also, perhaps surprisingly, the graduation rates for student athletes is higher than the graduation rate for all other undergraduates. Surely, the stars get a cakewalk through school, and athletes aren't always the greatest scholars, but 98% of student athletes are not stars. And we're talking about actually staying in school at least four years and graduating. You would think it would be quite the opposite.

788305[/snapback]

The Athletic Directors also take a proactive role in seeing that all the student athletes remain academically eligible throughout the year. Special lounges and tutoring sessions are made available to the athletes to ensure they do what they need to do in the classroom so they can do what they need to do on the field.

The Athletic Directors also take a proactive role in seeing that all the student athletes remain academically eligible throughout the year.  Special lounges and tutoring sessions are made available to the athletes to ensure they do what they need to do in the classroom so they can do what they need to do on the field.

788306[/snapback]

Why do they need such special attention? Are they babies needful of day care? :D

I think I remember reading that the NBA, has a higher arrest rate than any of the Pro-teams in America.

788313[/snapback]

Theres a shocker. :D The NBA should just cut to the chase and name their teams from where the players are incarcerated, like the Miami Federal Pen Heat vs the Dallas State Prison Msvericks.

EDIT: if the NBA booted everyone who has been arrested out of the league, there'd be roughly 4 players left.

I'll take that bet. How much?

788400[/snapback]

It's an unprovable point. I was referring to lawbreakers as opposed to actual arrests. You're right, it wouldn't be twice as much as NFL players if you count actual arrests. I would easily bet that it is even though. The "twice as much" I added because of crimes they are not getting caught at, like white collar crime. Most of the millionaires I know, and there is a lot of them, have had DUIs or arrest records of some sort. Most of them had nothing to do with their businesses. The same as these guys.