The NFL Is Filled With A Bunch Of Criminals

Buffalo Baumer

That's insane. So it's jail for 85% all the hockey players, too? It's just as violent. And so the best way to clean up the crime in this country is to just create 10,000 professional football leagues? How about the thousands of college and high school players whose talent is just a split second short of NFL players, but are just as tough and just as violent (not all are but a huge number, they just lacka little size or speed or talent). I suppose 85% of those are already in jail or next-cons. The Bills have 61 players on their roster. Please list the 10 or so that would not be in jail. I assume all others would be.

789371[/snapback]

Actually your suggestion, while silly, would at least be a cheaper system (since it would be a profit center). In the meantime, let's examine real data.

According to the dept. of Justice (they know a thing or two about the subject):

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/crimoff.htm

"Based on current rates of first incarceration, an estimated 32% of black males will enter State or Federal prison during their lifetime"

I believe that the % going thru the criminal justice system in one way or another is about double that, but I don't know that statistic for sure.

The point is, that as someone said, the NFL indeed is effectively keeping black males out of jail, educated, and putting them into esteemed positions in society. And to my earlier point the NFL is encouraging negative behavior amongst the predominately white population of fans attending NFL games.

It would appear that athletes are far from the problem.

Now if you were suggesting being hardassed about fans - you might have some ammunition.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's insane. So it's jail for 85% all the hockey players, too? It's just as violent. And so the best way to clean up the crime in this country is to just create 10,000 professional football leagues? How about the thousands of college and high school players whose talent is just a split second short of NFL players, but are just as tough and just as violent (not all are but a huge number, they just lacka little size or speed or talent). I suppose 85% of those are already in jail or next-cons. The Bills have 61 players on their roster. Please list the 10 or so that would not be in jail. I assume all others would be.

789371[/snapback]

first, the 85% thing is an exaggeration to make a point, mr. literalist! second, hockey isn't even one tenth as violent as the nfl. anyway, to make it it in the nfl, it takes a certain violent streak that can be turned on and sustained for months at a time. to think that any other sport has as many people arrested for violent acts off the field (and god knows how many walk away scot free because local law enforcement doesn't want to cost their team the next game) simply means that one is not paying attention.

anecdotally, a friend of a friend of mine who has written for a number of major national sports magazines and has covered all four major sports characterized players in each the following way to me: among baseball players, there is an inordinate obsession with money compared to other sports. basketball players are raving egomaniacs who have been told since day one that they're god's gift to the world. hockey players are enjoyable and the most down to earth guys (perhaps it's the canadian thing; i don't know). and on football teams, except for the small handful of true-believer born again christians that are on every team, squads typically feature large numbers of often enraged violent young men who enjoy hitting people extremely hard and when they least expect it.

another friend of a friend (a doctor) spent a training camp with the denver broncos around 1990. all he could say was that the players were crazy and violent.

finally, a good friend of mine was a bartender at jim kelly's shortlived bar in the early-mid 90s during the glory years, and players came in all the time. he said that except for a few guys -- nate odomes, metzelaars, tasker, reich -- they were all pretty much a-holes, with our heroes thurman and biscuit leading the pack in that category.

these are anecdotal accounts, to be sure. but they square with what else i've heard and what i see on the police blotter every week.

i still love football. and it keeps these guys off the streets. i'm simply suggesting that fans be fans without any illusions.