Tampa cover-2 Defense

Denney and Kelsay - 2nd round busts. Unfortunately, we only get to play Culpepper twice a season. Denney is great against the run, but gets swallowed up way too often on passing plays. Kelsay is becoming quite adept at collecting coverage sacks. Too bad he can't get sacks within the first 10 seconds of a play.

Schobel - Will probably end up as one of the most overrated players in Buffalo history. I've never seen a DE with as many career sacks as he has go for as many streaks without generating any pressure whatsoever.

DT's - I'll group them all together because I haven't paid as much individual attention to them as I have the DE's. But as a group, these guys don't look fast enough to create the kind of pass rush essential this D system needs to succeed. And the run D is still not good. The Jets, despite their asbysmal run game, were able to get the runs they needed to sustain drives after the first quarter. Our little DT's are getting abused as these games wear on.

If this franchise is going to continue to hate drafting OL in the first few rounds, I at least hope we use those picks to land a few more DE's and DT's. Because we need them badly.

There is good news, though: our LB's and DB's look well-suited to this new D, and should become dominant once our safeties get more experience and once TKO comes back.

So one average game from the D and now they suck? The D did not play all that bad today.They didn't play great but they stopped the Jets numerous times besides 3 drives. Give the Jets credit for finishing their drives unlike the Bills who throw away multiple scoring chances.

I disagree. This d-line isn't too good at rushing the passer. Or really at stopping the run either. The ends take the balme for the pass rush

784704[/snapback]

I agree on the run stopping, which will probably be this team's achille's heal all year. But DE's can't be expectd to have much success getting to a 2 and 3 step drop QB like Pennington.

Denney and Kelsay - 2nd round busts. Unfortunately, we only get to play Culpepper twice a season. Denney is great against the run, but gets swallowed up way too often on passing plays. Kelsay is becoming quite adept at collecting coverage sacks. Too bad he can't get sacks within the first 10 seconds of a play.

Schobel - Will probably end up as one of the most overrated players in Buffalo history. I've never seen a DE with as many career sacks as he has go for as many streaks without generating any pressure whatsoever.

DT's - I'll group them all together because I haven't paid as much individual attention to them as I have the DE's. But as a group, these guys don't look fast enough to create the kind of pass rush essential this D system needs to succeed. And the run D is still not good. The Jets, despite their asbysmal run game, were able to get the runs they needed to sustain drives after the first quarter. Our little DT's are getting abused as these games wear on.

If this franchise is going to continue to hate drafting OL in the first few rounds, I at least hope we use those picks to land a few more DE's and DT's. Because we need them badly.

There is good news, though: our LB's and DB's look well-suited to this new D, and should become dominant once our safeties get more experience and once TKO comes back.

784683[/snapback]

This is one of the dumbest post-loss reactionary posts I've read in a long, long time. Schobel is overrated because he went up against Ferguson and a constant 3 step drop? Go back to Football 101 before you draw such goofy conclusions, man. Jeez.

There are too many wishy-washy fans on this board! You can't expect a team; especially a young team to dominate every game and not make mistakes come on! They can't get 7-8 sacks every game. It's not like Pennington dropped by 35 times and passesd for 300 plus and had a RB ran for over a 150 yards!

Interesting comeback.    You're a real sharp guy...  :lol:

784723[/snapback]

Your comeback was equally interesting - judiciously editing out my second sentence and focusing on my first 4 letters?

I ask you, what was your opinion of the pass rush from our DE's on the plays where Pennington did not make the quick dump offs? Pennington had 29 passes; not all of them were of the quick release type.

I agree on the run stopping, which will probably be this team's achille's heal all year.  But DE's can't be expectd to have much success getting to a 2 and 3 step drop QB like Pennington.

784718[/snapback]

You might be right about the run stopping but that was not shown in todays game.

Jets RBs....21-66-3.1ave

Excluding last drive.....17-48-2.8ave

784683[/snapback]

:lol:

You're funny.

The Jets were under 300 yards and 4-12 on third down. They had what, 75 yards rushing for 3 ypc?

What a terrible analysis.

Turnovers lost this game. 2 of them on JP and 1 on a missed block by Willis. That's really all there was to it.

Schobel is what he is. A good de, but not quite in the upper echelon of pass rushers. He'd be best served with a true pass rushing de opposite him.

784742[/snapback]

Aaron Schobel is easily a top-12 DE in this league. Hands down. Ever consider the fact that opposing offenses have to game plan to stop him? Sure hes no peppers or freeny, but hes a damn good DE.

You might be right about the run stopping but that was not shown in todays game.

Jets RBs....21-66-3.1ave

Excluding last drive.....17-48-2.8ave

784737[/snapback]

The Jets were effective enough, even though the YPC doesn't show it. There were enough "must have" short yardage plays that they made to negate any flashy stats.

Aaron Schobel is easily a top-12 DE in this league. Hands down. Ever consider the fact that opposing offenses have to game plan to stop him? Sure hes no peppers or freeny, but hes a damn good DE.

784749[/snapback]

Sorry, Ramius, but.... Schoebel is the guy who's there for the coverage sack. And not a lot more.