Terrorism

BoondckCL

Do any of you actually know any history about terrorism, or what terrorism actually is? Just a question that i was thinking about earlier today, and the fact of the matter is that i think this thread will die within two pages because i think the only terrorist groups you people know about are the IRA and al Queda.

Anybody who thinks they know what terrorism is, tell me in your own words what you think it is, and we'll see if you know? Also include some examples.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do any of you actually know any history about terrorism, or what terrorism actually is? Just a question that i was thinking about earlier today, and the fact of the matter is that i think this thread will die within two pages because i think the only terrorist groups you people know about are the IRA and al Queda.

Anybody who thinks they know what terrorism is, tell me in your own words what you think it is, and we'll see if you know? Also include some examples.

778981[/snapback]

Oh lord.

You're trying to confine a topic such a terrorism to a single, rather simplified definition?

This is going to be fun.

Oh lord.

You're trying to confine a topic such a terrorism to a single, rather simplified definition?

This is going to be fun.

778983[/snapback]

It should be. Because it is a topic that everybody pretends like they know everything about, but truly they only know what is presented to them in the news.

I bet hardly any of the people on this board know that Iraq was imperialized by Great Britain, but they all have an opinion on the war in Iraq. The main point of this thread being, how can you have a decent opinion on a topic when you are not well informed on what you are talking about.

778981[/snapback]

I think you're giving people too much credit here, assuming they know about the IRA.

778981[/snapback]

Thank you for coming down from your Temple to ask us mere mortals to amuse you. When we're done being your playthings on this topic, will you take the form of a swan and rape someone?

"I know it when I see it."

This is a rich topic to be started by a fuggin' 19-year-old who can't get subject-verb agreement straight.

779100[/snapback]

Exactly. Ah, the perils of youth. Never been anywhere, never done anything, thinks it knows everything.

Look, Boondoggle, terrorism is a subjective idea. One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter, or so they say. But I disagree with that definition. Terrorism is attacking innocents in the name of accomplishing some esoteric goal.

I will attempt to provide an example of twhat is and what is not state and/or individual terrorism.

State Terrorism:

Firebombing of Dresden - Not terrorism, as Dresden was a major industrial complex and therefore a valid military target.

Gassing of Kurds - terrorism. Used to intimidate a population into subjugation, with no valid military reasoning.

Individual (or non-state) terrorism:

Attacking of US forces in Saigon by VC- Not terrorism, as civilians were not attacked in an attempt to dislodge an armed force

Carbombings in baghdad against Sunnis/Shiites/Kurdish Sunnis/whoever - terrorism. It's meant to intimidate opposition and cause grief for American forces

Exactly. Ah, the perils of youth. Never been anywhere, never done anything, thinks it knows everything.

Look, Boondoggle, terrorism is a subjective idea. One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter, or so they say. But I disagree with that definition. Terrorism is attacking innocents in the name of accomplishing some esoteric goal.

I will attempt to provide an example of twhat is and what is not state and/or individual terrorism. 

State Terrorism:

Firebombing of Dresden - Not terrorism, as Dresden was a major industrial complex and therefore a valid military target.

Gassing of Kurds - terrorism. Used to intimidate a population into subjugation, with no valid military reasoning.

Individual (or non-state) terrorism:

Attacking of US forces in Saigon by VC- Not terrorism, as civilians were not attacked in an attempt to dislodge an armed force

Carbombings in baghdad against Sunnis/Shiites/Kurdish Sunnis/whoever - terrorism. It's meant to intimidate opposition and cause grief for American forces

779126[/snapback]

Where exactly does the Khobar Towers bombing fit in all that?

Terrorism is many things. For that a reason, I like my definition better.

Where exactly does the Khobar Towers bombing fit in all that?

Terrorism is many things. For that a reason, I like my definition better.

779154[/snapback]

Well, I'd say that since Khobar wasn't generally backed by the gubmint or the peeps of SA, that it does fit into the definition of terrorism.

Well, I'd say that since Khobar wasn't generally backed by the gubmint or the peeps of SA, that it does fit into the definition of terrorism.

779172[/snapback]

Just curious. I consider it terrorism, as they blew the side off of a hotel.... but then by your definition, it was targeting U.S. military personnel in the hotel. (My brother is in the Raven group created as a result of Khobar).

Your rationale seems like it would absolve McVeigh of 'terrorism' if the day-care center wasn't in Murrah, b/c his beef was with our federal gov't.

I don't think 'collateral damage' is a necessity for calling something terrorism.

Just curious. I consider it terrorism, as they blew the side off of a hotel.... but then by your definition, it was targeting U.S. military personnel in the hotel. (My brother is in the Raven group created as a result of Khobar).

Your rationale seems like it would absolve McVeigh of 'terrorism' if the day-care center wasn't in Murrah, b/c his beef was with our federal gov't.

I don't think 'collateral damage' is a necessity for calling something terrorism.

779200[/snapback]

I do.

:pirate:

779200[/snapback]

You guys are merely looking at targets and garbage like that. If you think that is what terrorism is, you are sadly mistaken. You guys are touching base on the idea of terrorism in general with perspectives and differences in types of terrorism, but you are still not quite getting it. Not to mention your use of only modern topics in terms of things that have occurred in the last 50 years, it is becoming ever so clear that no one truly knows terrorism.