McCargo

McCargo has been quiet, as has Mario Williams. The other 1st-rounder from NC State, Manny Lawson, had 2 sacks yesterday for the 49ers.

I'm not sure what we expected from McCargo. DT is a very tough position to come in and be an impact player immediately. It typically takes a year or two to figure out the schemes, get used to NFL strength, and figure out what you can and can't get away with. Even then, a DT can have a huge impact on a game but go largely unnoticed.

On the other hand, I'm sure Houston at this point would rather be handing off to Dominick Davis, but I know they'd prefer Reggie Bush over Ron Dayne and Samkon Gado. That's just more unneeded pressure on Mario.

McCargo has been quiet, as has Mario Williams.  The other 1st-rounder from NC State, Manny Lawson, had 2 sacks yesterday for the 49ers.

I'm not sure what we expected from McCargo.  DT is a very tough position to come in and be an impact player immediately.  It typically takes a year or two to figure out the schemes, get used to NFL strength, and figure out what you can and can't get away with.  Even then, a DT can have a huge impact on a game but go largely unnoticed.

On the other hand, I'm sure Houston at this point would rather be handing off to Dominick Davis, but I know they'd prefer Reggie Bush over Ron Dayne and Samkon Gado.  That's just more unneeded pressure on Mario.

778101[/snapback]

Well Tripplett had a great day yesterday despite his stats or lack there of.....I don't supposed McCargo did anything similar? :doh:

Ty Warren, Dewayne Robertson and a few other highly drafted, highly touted DT's took a couple of years to mature into the pros people thought they would become. No rookie at any position should be written off until given a couple of years to prove their worth.

(With a few exceptions, of course - see: Leaf, Ryan; Clarett, Maurice)

Its week two. Hes played 2 games in the NFL

778240[/snapback]

I think it was sarcasm my friend, sarcasm.

You have to get used to that around here if you want to survive for very long. You can't hear a person's voice when they say, so you have to be very careful as to what context you take things on the screen.

As for McCargo, tar and feather the bastard.

But in all honesty, i think that McCargo is not really a play making guy, instead i think that he is the force in the middle that allows for others to excel. But if he isn't than i have to go with the fact that it takes most DT's several years to develop in the league. There is a lot of body development that must occur in the first four years of one's career and a lot of weight training that will allow them to perform on a high level against Offensive Linemen in the league. Ted Washington did not develop until he had been cut from two teams (San Francisco and Denver) then he came to Buffalo and found his voice.

Ty Warren, Dewayne Robertson and a few other highly drafted, highly touted DT's took a couple of years to mature into the pros people thought they would become.  No rookie at any position should be written off until given a couple of years to prove their worth.

778265[/snapback]

Lack of a running game and suseptibility to the blitz is what cost Ryan Leaf his career.

I think it was sarcasm my friend, sarcasm.

You have to get used to that around here if you want to survive for very long. You can't hear a person's voice when they say, so you have to be very careful as to what context you take things on the screen.

As for McCargo, tar and feather the bastard.

But in all honesty, i think that McCargo is not really a play making guy, instead i think that he is the force in the middle that allows for others to excel. But if he isn't than i have to go with the fact that it takes most DT's several years to develop in the league. There is a lot of body development that must occur in the first four years of one's career and a lot of weight training that will allow them to perform on a high level against Offensive Linemen in the league. Ted Washington did not develop until he had been cut from two teams (San Francisco and Denver) then he came to Buffalo and found his voice.

778273[/snapback]

Kyle Williams seems to be doing a fine job.

Kyle Williams seems to be doing a fine job.

778281[/snapback]

Kyle Williams played in this system in college and he is doing a decent job. I haven't seen any plays yet in the regular season where i have said to myself that we finally have a stud Defensive Tackle as a rookie. Must we forget already, Ronnie Brown could have lit us up all day by running up the middle and off tackle had Mularkey had any clue as to how to play a football game. It was not like they were behind by a lot early and they had to pass all day, his sh------- decisions are what made Ronnie Brown have a mediocre day. Not to mention what Laurence Maroney and Corey Dillon did to us a week ago.

So i would be a little hesitent to say the least, about Kyle Williams' "good" play so far.

McCargo has been quiet, as has Mario Williams.  The other 1st-rounder from NC State, Manny Lawson, had 2 sacks yesterday for the 49ers.

I'm not sure what we expected from McCargo.  DT is a very tough position to come in and be an impact player immediately.  It typically takes a year or two to figure out the schemes, get used to NFL strength, and figure out what you can and can't get away with.  Even then, a DT can have a huge impact on a game but go largely unnoticed.

On the other hand, I'm sure Houston at this point would rather be handing off to Dominick Davis, but I know they'd prefer Reggie Bush over Ron Dayne and Samkon Gado.  That's just more unneeded pressure on Mario.

778101[/snapback]

exactly you cant judge any rookie from a couple games. thats wat we did to jp and hes doing good so far.

Well it seems Kyle Williams is already ahead of McCargo so I would hope it's just a matter of how quickly McCargo is learning everything nd thats whats holding him back.

778284[/snapback]

I expect big plays out of McCargo- for the simple fact that the Bills are high on him picking him where they did. And so far. they have looked like they really did their home work. They made their picks with the utmost confidence, even though the rest of the NFL

laughed. And different players progress at different speeds. Ala Ryan Dernney. Bruce Smith was benched in his rookie year. Eric Moulds took three years. Evans one.

Well it seems Kyle Williams is already ahead of McCargo so I would hope it's just a matter of how quickly McCargo is learning everything nd thats whats holding him back.

778284[/snapback]

What the hell are you talking about? Do you not realize that Williams and McCargo play different positions, and the reason that Williams is starting is because he has outplayed Tim Anderson, NOT McCargo? McCargo spells Tripplett. Besides, he was a Junior coming out, this is his rookie year, and that was his second game.

What the hell are you talking about? Do you not realize that Williams and McCargo play different positions, and the reason that Williams is starting is because he has outplayed Tim Anderson, NOT McCargo? McCargo spells Tripplett. Besides, he was a Junior coming out, this is his rookie year, and that was his second game.

778404[/snapback]

They were all young coming out. That's why Marv was criticized though. I do recognize that they play two different positions and it is a lot easier for Williams to beat out Anderson than it is for McCargo to beat out Triplett. What people aren't realizing is that at this point McCargo is not getting playing time because the Bills are still a football team that need to win games, and can't take the time to give serious play to guys like McCargo for his development.

You guys will see a lot more of McCargo later in the season.

Lack of a running game and suseptibility to the blitz is what cost Ryan Leaf his career.

778277[/snapback]

You're kidding, right? The guy was quite possibly the biggest headcase in the history of the NFL, clearly wasn't intelligent enough to grasp how the game is played at the highest level, and had no concpet of what it meant to be a winning football player, play within a team structure, or sacrifice for the team.

The guy was a complete joke from day one.

You're kidding, right?  The guy was quite possibly the biggest headcase in the history of the NFL, clearly wasn't intelligent enough to grasp how the game is played at the highest level, and had no concpet of what it meant to be a winning football player, play within a team structure, or sacrifice for the team.

The guy was a complete joke from day one.

778445[/snapback]

He was a headcase because of guys like Mel Kiper who pretty much told him he was going to come into the league and be an instant star. Then when teams decide to stack the box, take away the run and force him to make quick decisions that he is not ready for, yes there is going to be frustration from him. He was a guy who bought into the hype about himself, that in addition to the lack of a running game and sesptability to the blitz, are what cost him his NFL career.

I think we are all on the same side of this, and know it is way to soon to judge, but that he has a lot of upside.

The D-Line as a whole had a tremendous game, and I would assume that McCargo helped contribute as did the others. Denney didn't have three sacks because he is the next Bruce Smith.

It would be nice to hear his name a little more over the next couple weeks, but the end result is helping the D make plays and limit the opposing offense.

When thinking about McCargo's development don't forget tht he came out as a junior and even in his junior year missed half of his teams games due to injury.

Thus...it should take him longer to develop....I thnk it will be worth it!!

778347[/snapback]

Well said and 100% true..Hell it looked like Denney (at DE) was a flop..not so much now.Give the kid some time..geez.

On third and short they ran to his side and he stuffed the middle. That's what you want out of him. DTs will never, ever be big stat guys. During big Ted's tenure he was averaging 2 tackles a game but everyone knew his value to the team. Triplett played a very good game yesterday and was credited with what, a tackle or two? Don't confuse stats of tackles/sacks for a DT with playing well. Look at the defense as a whole and run defense.

In comparison to Haloti Ngata (0 tackles in 2 games), who many (including myself) wanted at the #8 spot, McCargo is holding his own (1 A in 2 games).

The point: it's silly to speculate that either one is a dud at this point.

Boondock's 10 Most Wanted (Probationary List)

1. Chris Villarrial

2. Ryan Nuefield

3. Coy Wire

4. Shaud Williams

5. Josh Reed

6. Damion Shelton

7. Kelly Holcomb

8. Tim Anderson

9. Rian Lindell

10. John McCargo

(Close call: Steve Fairchild)

Just removed: Steve Fairchild

778455[/snapback]

Hey Boony....re: your probationary list.....

What's Lindell doing on there???

I'd think Reed & Wire should have moved a little after their performances this week.

IMO Wire=5....Reed=8

Hey Boony....re: your probationary list.....

What's Lindell doing on there???

I'd think Reed & Wire should have moved a little after their performances this week. 

IMO Wire=5....Reed=8

778793[/snapback]

First off, I have let Lindell off the list before, and he blows a field goal every time i do. So i'll keep him on because of the luck he has had with him being on the list. Josh Reed, the same thing goes for him. As for Coy Wire, if you average in the horrible plays with the good plays, this is right about where he falls.

First off, I have let Lindell off the list before, and he blows a field goal every time i do. So i'll keep him on because of the luck he has had with him being on the list.

778829[/snapback]

Not that I'm superstitious but......hell, keep him on the list. I don't want to be the cause of a Bills loss(through complaining to you, you taking him off the list, Lindell subsequently missing a game winning FG).

I don't think I could take the pressure if you took him off now. :blush:

778404[/snapback]

Don't they both play DT? Whats the huge difference between Left and Right DT?

Ty Warren, Dewayne Robertson and a few other highly drafted, highly touted DT's took a couple of years to mature into the pros people thought they would become.  No rookie at any position should be written off until given a couple of years to prove their worth.

778265[/snapback]

Dewayne Robertson was picked very high for a DT a couple years ago (Kentucky?). He was supposed to be the next Warren Sapp. Been waiting for him to emerge as this dominating player, but he's yet to do that. Lets hope it stays that way. Nice pick Jets. Ty Warren on the other hand looks like he's starting to fit in nicely.

Don't they both play DT? Whats the huge difference between Left and Right DT?

778954[/snapback]

There's a couple of differences. One thing is that one of them stunts more than the other on defensive plays thus allowing for different blitz packages to be applied on passing plays. One of them takes on the responsibility of more gaps than the other does, but like the last one, i can't remember. I am almost sure that IF they were lined up, Williams would be stunting and McCargo would take on blockers and watch more gaps, while opening up holes for linebackers to fill so that they can make a tackle.

There's a couple of differences. One thing is that one of them stunts more than the other on defensive plays thus allowing for different blitz packages to be applied on passing plays. One of them takes on the responsibility of more gaps than the other does, but like the last one, i can't remember. I am almost sure that IF they were lined up, Williams would be stunting and McCargo would take on blockers and watch more gaps, while opening up holes for linebackers to fill so that they can make a tackle.

778972[/snapback]

While there are significant differences in how the LDT and RDT play for the Bills, its basically an illusory distinction at the level fans (like me) tend to operate on. This is because that in order for an NFL team to be successful, they simply cannot invest in patterms of play and use which we fans can see accurately or they will simply be used and abused by opposing OCs and opposing blockers.

The D has a particular base scheme which seems to generally call for our RDT (Triplett backed up by McCargo on the depth chart) to be used more as a penetrator and the LDT (Williams backed up by Anderson) to be more of a stay at home run stopper. While this is actually the opposite of what the poster above seems to be saying. Both views are actually fairly inconsequential to how Ferrell actually uses them so there is a big caution to take either of our views for what they are worth (which is not a whole bunch on any particular play).

Ferrell actually runs our D in the base scheme alot but must vary it because if the other team or opposing blocker can predict exactly what you are going to do on a particular play you will get killed. Thus, there is some degree to which your RDT and LDT must be able to switch roles on particular plays so as to not become easy to predict.

This variation is not onlt true between the DTs, but as there is a lot of variation and stunting which occurs with the ends. sometimes on a particular down and distance where you are not concerned if they run up the middle, you might have a DE (usually Denny who actually lined up at DT often last year) manning the middle while one of the DTs shifts to the outside. Many teams will not play this game much as a huge DT like Big Ted simply does not have the athleticism to stunt and go outside a lot. However, the Bills have specifically chosen lighter weight than average DTs in the Cover 2 with the idea that there is gonna be a whole bunch of stunting going on.

In addition to the variations of roles between the DTs, AND the stunting and shifting which essentially calls for the DEs to go inside, there is also a lot of variation caused by the finally true commitment of the Bills to a rotation of DL players. Thus, simply because Triplett and Williams starts does not mean that McCargo and Anderson are relegated to garbage time. In fact, if things work like we want these back-ups will be in for a number of critical plays as our priority is to have fresh people rather than specific people in.

In addition to these three variations in play that makes looking at any of these players as having a specific role all the time, also the opposing players make a difference. If a particular player proves to be susceptible to the rush moves of a particular player then forget about what the depth chart says as to who plays where and who is the starter, An example of this was Denney on Sunday, Was he a back-up? Yes. However, his success at getting sacks and having the athleticism to run down a Culpepper meant that he played a lot more than the #1 Kelsay. He also ended up all over the field he sacked Culpepper on the left side of the line once teaming with Triplett, yet his next sack was a nice trip up of a scrambling Culpepper on the right side of the OL.

There simply is to much variation in the approach players take if they are going to be successful in this league.

In the big picture also, the one commitment that the DL Coach, DC and HC are likely to have is to get the 4 best DL players on the field as much as possible. Particularly with youngsters who are getting trained, a player proves to be good but not necessarily the best player in a particular scheme, look for the scheme to be altered because in this cap constrained world you may not be able to switch players as eaily as you can alter the scheme to put the players in the best position for them to make plays.

In other words, reality is a much better descriptor of the roles than some theory about what folks are supposed to do. The other corollary is that 2 games is way to early to even try to nail down what reality is in terms of DT use.