Aren't you glad we kept Wire?

I remember last week people were absolutely ripping Coy Wire and saying Wire was a bad player to keep on this team.  Yeah sure he might not be a great safety but he's a pro when it comes to special teams.

777691[/snapback]

My wife was bewildered when I had a look of pain on my face when I should have been celebrating the blocked punt. She's like..."What are you upset about? They just blocked the punt!" My response ..."Yeah, but it was Coy Wire."

I was just mad that I actually had to give him credit for doing something good. 0:)

Yes - one big ST play in 4 years - get his bust ready for Canton.

Even a crappy player makes a play once every four years. Before all the hysterical Wire ST-ace stuff starts again - please note that on the NFL.com play-by-play for the first two games this season Wire is not listed as making a single ST tackle.

One play does not suddenly make him a great player.

One play doesn't make a great player, no.  But considering he's somewhere between the 45th and 53rd man on the roster, I don't really think he needs to do more than that.  What would Rashard Baker have done?

777768[/snapback]

Not completely whiff on Mahroney in week 1? I'm just saying.

My wife was bewildered when I had a look of pain on my face when I should have been celebrating the blocked punt. She's like..."What are you upset about? They just blocked the punt!" My response ..."Yeah, but it was Coy Wire."

I was just mad that I actually had to give him credit for doing something good.  0:)

777746[/snapback]

That's the way I felt, too!

It's still painful to watch him try to play safety.

Has anyone keyed on Coy in their film study to see if he is actually an "ace" on ST?

Or is it just the one thing he does OK at? It must have been Bobby April's influence in keeping on the roster IMO.

Stevewin, any thoughts on Coy's ST abilities. I know you're a big Coy fan ;-)

Wire was definitely kept because he is one of the ST leaders. I don't think he is necessarily a great safety but he's an adequate back up who plays solid special teams. Smart guy too I believe. Stanford guy. He may not have the speed of Whitner but he can be a physical presence in certain run situations. He's adequate for what we need him to do and I can't think of another safety in training camp that I would have kept over him.

On another note, anyone slightly amused when Welker laid out little Leonhard on that one punt? Welcome back buddy.

Even a crappy player makes a play once every four years.  Before all the hysterical Wire ST-ace stuff starts again - please note that on the NFL.com play-by-play for the first two games this season Wire is not listed as making a single ST tackle.

777752[/snapback]

Stick to your guns. I'm right there with you! :doh:

Even a crappy player makes a play once every four years.  Before all the hysterical Wire ST-ace stuff starts again - please note that on the NFL.com play-by-play for the first two games this season Wire is not listed as making a single ST tackle.

777752[/snapback]

Wire's not Canton-bound. He's no Tasker. And he's not a special teams "ace." But he's good enough at it to still be hanging around the best ST unit in the NFL.

Bobby April has a wealth of special teams knowledge, game film, and familiarity in practice to justify Wire's roster spot. You, stevewin, use the nfl.com play-by-play tracker to rehash your dead-horse-esque hatred for a backup SS :blush: . So don't get annoyed when a few of us around here aren't buying into the incessant Wire ST bashing.

My advice? Let the Wire topic go. Or put the fact that you think he sucks at everything in your sig line, and move on from there. Otherwise, you're a good poster with lots of interesting stuff to say.