The return game last week

Disclaimer: My apologies if this was already posted. just give me the link and i will cower in the corner

I was just wondering if anyone who has a better view at reading the special teams play could give me any indication as to why it wasnt so hot. Before the nice 44 yard return, we were only averaging 21 or so yards a return.

McGee also wasn't returning too many kicks during the preseason and had some apparent rust at NE as a result of not having too many opportunities. I think this was a precaution as to not risk injuring one of the more intrical parts to our team even before the season began.

Disclaimer: My apologies if this was already posted. just give me the link and i will cower in the corner

I was just wondering if anyone who has a better view at reading the special teams play could give me any indication as to why it wasnt so hot. Before the nice 44 yard return, we were only averaging 21 or so yards a return.

773523[/snapback]

No offence but.....what are you on about???

Without the 44 yarder we average 22 yards a return...which is roughly league average for last year.

We had 1 out of 4 returns as a 40+ yarder.

We are 5th in the league after 1 week.

How many long returns do you expect out of 4 attempts?

What do you expect us to be achieving in the KR game?

:doh:

We had 4 KO returns and by my estimation, only 1 real opportunity for a punt return.

The punt return hit Parrish in the face & we had to scramble to recover. We had 1 good KO ret & on a 2nd, some guy blew up Shelton & was able to get to McGee. From the tv shot, it looks as if had Shelton been able to block that guy, McGee had open field to the right. How far he would've gotten, we'll never know.

So if not for those 2 screw ups, we may very well have had very good overall results.

No offence but.....what are you on about???

Without the 44 yarder we average 22 yards a return...which is roughly league average for last year.

We had 1 out of 4 returns as a 40+ yarder.

We are 5th in the league after 1 week.

How many long returns do you expect out of 4 attempts?

What do you expect us to be achieving in the KR game?

:doh:

773554[/snapback]

Maybe you could go back to my original post and pick out a part that I was complaining? you cant because i wasnt ... i simply asked for people who were good at analyzing to tell me if there was any reason why McGee wasnt averaging his usual 30 yards per return instead it was around 21-22. It was a question. Not a complaint. Last year he seemed to average between 27-35 YPR a game ... so 21-22 seemed a little low. that is all .

Maybe you could go back to my original post and pick out a part that I was complaining? you cant because i wasnt ... i simply asked for people who were good at analyzing to tell me if there was any reason why McGee wasnt averaging his usual 30 yards per return instead it was around 21-22. It was a question. Not a complaint. Last year he seemed to average between 27-35 YPR a game ... so 21-22 seemed a little low. that is all .

773557[/snapback]

Sorry, when you said it 'wasn't so hot' I assumed that was a complaint.

As it happens, McGee averaged 27.5 yards per kickoff return(4-110) in that game & is 5th in the league.

As you can see, he performed as well as last year. There is no reason for concern. :doh:

773557[/snapback]

McGee's career average before this season: 27.6 yds/return, including four TDs (which you can figure on being 95-100 yards each).

McGee's average Sunday, with the longest return only 44 yards: 27.5 yards/return.

Breaking it down that way, you could argue he actually had a better ratio of quality returns vs. the Pats.

McGee's career average before this season: 27.6 yds/return, including four TDs (which you can figure on being 95-100 yards each).

McGee's average Sunday, with the longest return only 44 yards: 27.5 yards/return.

Breaking it down that way, you could argue he actually had a better ratio of quality returns vs. the Pats.

773581[/snapback]

Good point. Now lets go back and look at the original post where I mentioned BEFORE the 44 yard return.

Good point. Now lets go back and look at the original post where I mentioned BEFORE the 44 yard return.

Ooh. Fun with numbers. My specialty.

Let's do just that, subtract the longest return:

4-110 (27.5 avg) - 44 = 3-66 (22.0 avg)

But when you looked at the game-by-game stats from last year...

i simply asked for people who were good at analyzing to tell me if there was any reason why McGee wasnt averaging his usual 30 yards per return instead it was around 21-22. It was a question. Not a complaint. Last year he seemed to average between 27-35 YPR a game ... so 21-22 seemed a little low. that is all.

...did you do the same for them?

HOU: 1-16, 16.0 avg, long 16

TB: 3-105, 35.0 avg, long 43

ATL: 2-55, 27.5 avg, long 28

NO: 4-159, 39.8 avg, long 82

MIA: 2-80, 40.0 avg, long 53

NYJ: 3-104, 34.7 avg, long 43

OAK: 3-98, 32.7 avg, long 57

NE: 2-22, 11.0 avg, long 22

KC: 1-14, 14.0 avg, long 14

SD: 1-42, 42.0 avg, long 42

CAR: DNP

MIA: 3-79, 26.3 avg, long 37

NE: 5-126, 25.2 avg, long 33

DEN: 5-120, 24.0 avg, long 28

CIN: 5-220, 44.0 avg, long 99t

NYJ: 6-151, 25.2 avg, long 39

Subtract the 82 yards of heartbreak in the Alamodome, and he didn't even hit his career average vs. the Saints. Raiders game is even worse: take away the 57-yarder, and the other two only average 20.5 yards.

One game, on a chewed-up grass field, against a team that gave up an average of 21.9/return and didn't allow a runback longer than 46 yards in all of 2005, doesn't give me enough data to conclude... well, much of ANYTHING, really. Fishies' kickoff D isn't as good as the Pats'. Let's see what happens this week.

i simply asked for people who were good at analyzing to tell me if there was any reason why McGee wasnt averaging his usual 30 yards per return instead it was around 21-22. It was a question. Not a complaint. Last year he seemed to average between 27-35 YPR a game ... so 21-22 seemed a little low. that is all.

Subtract the 82 yards of heartbreak in the Alamodome, and he didn't even hit his career average vs. the Saints. Raiders game is even worse: take away the 57-yarder, and the other two only average 20.5 yards.

One game, on a chewed-up grass field, against a team that gave up an average of 21.9/return and didn't allow a runback longer than 46 yards in all of 2005, doesn't give me enough data to conclude... well, much of ANYTHING, really. Fishies' kickoff D isn't as good as the Pats'. Let's see what happens this week.

773636[/snapback]

You are totally missing my point. My question was for anyone who is gooding at reading game tape to tell me if we were doing anything different or wrong the first 3 returns , before the long return ... :pirate:

You are totally missing my point. My question was for anyone who is gooding at reading game tape to tell me if we were doing anything different or wrong the first 3 returns ,  before the long return  ...  :pirate:

774601[/snapback]

But, but, but....*sign*......you are mistaken in your thoughts that we had a sub-standard KR outing against NE last week(even when taking out the 44 yard return).

The point Lori & myself have been trying to get across is that ones average(in this case no lower than his career average & 5th in the league), is made up by all of the returns....the longest, & the shortest.

Sometimes I believe there is a decent argument when 1 stat skews the results but (as I said earlier) his average over the first 3 runs was not 'bad'.

Also, even if he averaged 12 yards per return over the first three....it was only 3 returns & no need for concern at this point.

Simply put...

You are asking people to analyse why he had a 'BAD' performance when in fact he had a 'GOOD' performance.

....the 3 lower returns were league average(22 yards per attempt).....the whole game he ended up as #5 in the league(27.5 yards per attempt).

773636[/snapback]

Thanks for doing our homework for us again Lori, but I'm afraid it's even worse than what you say.

Subtract his longest returns against Houston (16), KC (14), and SD (42) and he got ZERO yards for those three games. Add in the Carolina fiasco in which he did not have any returns and there's 1/4 of the season when he did nadda, zilch, flappo! :pirate:

Is it any wonder the Special Teams are such a wreck this year?

April should get canned. Why can't McGee just run for 30 yds every time?

I can't take this inconsistency. It's too nerve wracking! :devil:

I'll try once more:

Last year he seemed to average between 27-35 YPR a game ... so 21-22 seemed a little low. that is all .

773557[/snapback]

And he averaged 27.5 YPR on Sunday, against a team that gave up an average of 21.9 YPR last season. Don't see a problem worthy of breaking down tape. Sorry.

You are totally missing my point. My question was for anyone who is gooding at reading game tape to tell me if we were doing anything different or wrong the first 3 returns ,  before the long return  ...  :o

774601[/snapback]

Okay, I'll "pile on" for my next sentence, then play nice....

I'm sure McGee's average is much worse last year if you remove the top 25% of his longest returns.

I thought it was great when we had Fletcher in the wedge on returns. That stopped the beginning of last year, when he and Spikes got hurt, if I remember right. Jason Peters replaced him in this role, I think. Now that they gave Peters his big contract, I'm not so sure they want him out there any more, at very least not until we add some depth.

I am curious is we've found another wide-body to anchor the wedge. As others pointed out today, our new LBs (Ellison, Digiorno) are not as big.

Once again. You all are missing my point. I never said we had a BAD outing before the KR ... i must not be explaining it right, so Ill just stop here.

775396[/snapback]

Even if nobody has addressed your specific point (which seemed to be that you felt the return game was "not so hot" and you were seeking insight as to why), I think that Lori and others have provided more than enough insight and stats to figure out the answer to your question, no? :o

Even if nobody has addressed your specific point (which seemed to be that you felt the return game was "not so hot" and you were seeking insight as to why), I think that Lori and others have provided more than enough insight and stats to figure out the answer to your question, no?  :o

775397[/snapback]

Not really but ill answer "sure" just to put it to rest.