Spikes injury / Ellison

RuntheDamnBall

It's worth noting that both of Brady's TD passes on Sunday came with LBs defending -- and in both situations it was TKO's replacement that got beat. Also, remember that Crowell hs spent all spring and preseason playing WLB. With TKO out, they move him to TKO's SLB spot and put Ellison at the WLB position. In essence, we downgrade two spots.

There isn't anyone who can fill TKO's shoes.  Lets hope he can play.

774301[/snapback]

Agreed....Ellison, Haggan and Stamer are backups and they have proved that they are backups...We need TKO to play at that position.....TKO is a game-changer as he showed with his 1st play from LoS....Look at the # of INTs, Sacks and Tackles that TKO has got since he came to the Bills...I don't think any Outside LB comes close to that production since Bryce Paup...and last I checked the bills depth chart, Paup played as a OLB on a front seven that included Bruce Smith.

Agreed....Ellison, Haggan and Stamer are backups and they have proved that they are backups...We need TKO to play at that position.....TKO is a game-changer as he showed with his 1st play from LoS....Look at the # of INTs, Sacks and Tackles that TKO has got since he came to the Bills...I don't think any Outside LB comes close to that production since Bryce Paup...and last I checked the bills depth chart, Paup played as a OLB on a front seven that included Bruce Smith.

774388[/snapback]

Ellison is too green to have proven anything yet, much less that he is a backup. There have been low-round success stories, remember.

Haggan was not "yanked"  He moved over from the outside to fill Spikes' spot and Ellison went in on the outside LB spot.

Haggan was most certainly yanked. Ellison was inserted at WLB, where he's the backsup, and Crowell was moved to SLB to takeover for Spikes after Haggan looked like crap (might be time to re-sign Wendell Hunter). If Spikes can't go this weekend, look for the same lineup.

looked like crap (might be time to re-sign Wendell Hunter). .

774411[/snapback]

Linebackers that can't stop the pass on a team that can't stop the run. And it's too late to fix the problem if Spikes isn't the old Spikes.

Jeff Posey, all is forgiven.

Haggan did not look great out there in Takeo's stead and was quickly yanked in favor of Ellison.  Keith looked OK, about as OK as Crowell did last year filling in.  He's not a game-changer like TKO and that shows when our defense is on the field.  Ellison looks to get time in this week if TKO is out.  It's probably something to think about in the future in terms of our depth -- whether that means Ellison proves to be a 7th round gem or Haggan is another ST hero who is a liability in the rest of the game, meaning we need to draft a higher-round replacement.

773302[/snapback]

I think that help at LB is a given need in 07, even if TKO can return to his pre-injury form, which I consider that of a Hall of Fame linebacker.

London Fletcher (imo) is a literal star who flies under the media radar. He combines very good skills with great effort. I like everything about him as a football player, except his age. :pirate:

Marv traded away a first day pick for McCargo, and devoted a sick amount of resources to the secondary in the 06 draft. While he was at it, he even signed a free agent safety. Kyle Williams (imo) could possibly make this draft a decent one. I think (unlike many) that the Bills are very strong at DE. Given the addition of Triplett, McCargo, and KW, it is not unrealistic to think that we will be very good at DT AND DE next year.

A perfect off season to me would be to fortify the OL and LBs.

Hopefully, we will re-sign Nate, because perhaps this would serve to curb any inclination Marv might have to continue to chase DBs.

If he doesn't stop doing so, it will certainly result in losing yet more football games.

The NC question is interesting as I figured they would just get 'er done by now. One wonders if the braintrust has made a judgement that either:

1. They want to see Youbouty's potential before they make the deal. or

2. They already are figuring they will get a near career year out of an unsigned Nate and are willing to pay an extra premium he earns with good play this year as any new contract would be significant but managed for allocation of cap hit, or

3. They figure that there is still enough play to happen where if NC feels the slightest twinge he will make a deal at a lower rate than he wants but the tipping point has not been reached where NC would simply not sign in hopes of getting bigger bucks, or

4. something else.

We'll see.

I agree that with the assessment of the McCargo pick. What would you rather have -- a high 3rd and a high 2nd or McCargo? The question is a fairly easy one to answer to me, especially considering how unusually deep this draft was.

Where I disagree with you is the strength at defensive end. While the starters are good, there is no depth and in order to be a playoff caliber team, you need to have MANY players who can rush the passer. Pass rushers are to football as pitching are to baseball -- they are rare commodities and you can never have enough of them. If Schobel went down to injury, God help us.

Marv traded away a first day pick for McCargo, and devoted a sick amount of resources to the secondary in the 06 draft. While he was at it, he even signed a free agent safety. Kyle Williams (imo) could possibly make this draft a decent one. I think (unlike many) that the Bills are very strong at DE. Given the addition of Triplett, McCargo, and KW, it is not unrealistic to think that we will be very good at DT AND DE next year.

A perfect off season to me would be to fortify the OL and LBs.

Hopefully, we will re-sign Nate, because perhaps this would serve to curb any inclination Marv might have to continue to chase DBs.

If he doesn't stop doing so, it will certainly result in losing yet more football games.

774634[/snapback]

I hear the Bills are thinking of starting Harlan Ellison at LB on Sunday.

Now wouldn't that be something? :pirate:

Bet he's got a lousy 40 time, though.

There isn't anyone who can fill TKO's shoes.  Lets hope he can play.

Amen, Tenny. We saw what the Bills looked like without TKO last season; I have no desire to repeat that experience.

I know we are getting ahead of ourselves but I can see next years draft going

1) CB or LB depending on who's available

2) CB or LB depending on who got taken in 1st round

3) LB

4) RG

These picks reflect the perceived need to fuill positions being weakened this year ! Nate could be gone next year hence the need for CB pick.

I agree that with the assessment of the McCargo pick.  What would you rather have -- a high 3rd and a high 2nd or McCargo?  The question is a fairly easy one to answer to me, especially considering how unusually deep this draft was.

Where I disagree with you is the strength at defensive end.  While the starters are good, there is no depth and in order to be a playoff caliber team, you need to have MANY  players who can rush the passer.  Pass rushers are to football as pitching are to baseball -- they are rare commodities and you can never have enough of them.  If Schobel went down to injury, God help us.

774722[/snapback]

I do see depth, in that Kelsay and Denney are both probably as good as they will ever be. Schobel imo will make a strong run for the probowl this season if healthy.

I am fully aware that consistent pressure matters more than sack totals, but (again, if they are healthy) I would not be surprised at all if the Bills are able to total as many as 20-25 sacks from the DE position alone. Remember, we seem to have DTs who are more agile and have to be accounted for in terms of pass rush, and this could create opportunities for the DEs.

That said, I would be happy if the Bills continue to address the DE position via the draft. Schobel and Denney are ours long term, but I am unsure about the contract status of Kelsay.

Also, it is very hard to obtain a pass rushing DE, much like the LT position. Imo, teams that win make consistent efforts to fortify both lines.

Questionable.

I have an inkling he'll be out there unless they really think it'll be to his detriment.  We need him to be a winner, and he wants to be a winner.

773864[/snapback]

If he's not winning, he's whining.