what to get canada

bob marley

We always carry our passports. No problems ever.

770633[/snapback]

That does make it easy. Same goes for me. I tend to leave my passport in the car. But it was in the house last trip and I didn't have the birth cert. and got a little hassle from the Canadian.

My family and I went a couple of years ago.  The customs agent was a real * and sent us to immigration.  They said to my children: "Are these your parents?" Now mind you the two kids look exactley alike (Blonde, blue eyed) My wife has blonde hair and blue eyes, I have light brown (oK with grey) hair and blue eyes.  After the kids agreed that yes we were their parents the immigration agent gave us a form admitting us to Canada.  I was told to give the form to an officer.  Tried to find one, couldnt and when I finally did he took the form without looking at it, crumpled it up and threw it away.

Bienvenue a Canada.

770534[/snapback]

People are people everywhere, but I can assure you entering the US can be a much bigger pain in the azz than Canada when being a foreigner as a general rule. Although I have hit a few azzholes entering Canada when flying into the Toronto Airport.

Maybe they had a kidnapping alert for kids matching your kids description. You never know !

But usually it is pretty lax crossing the Peace Bridge. My nephew works at the Peace Bridge on the Canadian side, post your picture I'll make sure he flags your picture as to always hassle and deny entry ! :D Just kidding !

My daughter and friends have gone to Canada and returned with nothing but driver's licenses recently. They DO understand that is a gamble though. :D

Driver's license + birth certificate

or

passport

That is the only sure way to get through.

Also, last time I went through from US to Canada at night, with a teenage daughter in the back seat asleep, they woke her up and asked her who WE were.

I was not offended.

My daughter and friends have gone to Canada and returned with nothing but driver's licenses recently. They DO understand that is a gamble though.  :D

Driver's license + birth certificate

or

passport

That is the only sure way to get through.

Also, last time I went through from US to Canada at night, with a teenage daughter in the back seat asleep, they woke her up and asked her who WE were.

I was not offended.

770679[/snapback]

I dont have a birth certificate. And you cannot get a passport without a birth certificate. hence, I am screwed. I already reserved a room in canada. the hotel states to have a licence when entering canada.

for what its worth. It shouldnt be to hard to get my birth certificate. I live in Elmira NY, but was born in Dearborn Mich.

I dont have a birth certificate.  And you cannot get a passport without a birth certificate.  hence, I am screwed.  I already reserved a room in canada.  the hotel states to have a licence when entering canada.

for what its worth.  It shouldnt be to hard to get my birth certificate.  I live in Elmira NY, but was born in Dearborn Mich.

770695[/snapback]

some one must know. can you enter canada with a licence.

some one must know.  can you enter canada with a licence.

770772[/snapback]

yes you can, but they may ask for another form of ID where they will want a Birth certificate or Passport.

Most of the time you are good with just a valid drivers liscenses (because it is a photo ID.

If you act like a dick or are cocky with them they may start acting that way to you and they will start putting you through the ringers just because.

License is fine for now. They may ask for more, such as a Passport, because starting soon (either 2007 or 2008) you will be required to have a Passport. Therefore, they are trying to get people conditioned to do it now so that when the new law goes into effect, people don't say "Well I never heard about this."

You will NOT be declined crossing the border if you only have a photo license. There's a very good chance they will tell you that your Passport is required next time, even if the law doesn't go into effect for a while. They're putting the word out.

License is fine for now.  They may ask for more, such as a Passport, because starting soon (either 2007 or 2008) you will be required to have a Passport.  Therefore, they are trying to get people conditioned to do it now so that when the new law goes into effect, people don't say "Well I never heard about this."

You will NOT be declined crossing the border if you only have a photo license.  There's a very good chance they will tell you that your Passport is required next time, even if the law doesn't go into effect for a while.  They're putting the word out.

770789[/snapback]

thanks. I am working on getting my BS and passport. wont be here by the 24th but at least I can go to the canadian ballet.

What's the "state issued police licence"?  If you are a police officer I'm sure it will reduce any troubles you might have with ID.

770839[/snapback]

It is a NYS police officer licence. Its funny that I didn't need a birth certificate to get the licence. they did run a backgroung and federal and state finger prints. The main issue I have is my brother is coming and he only has a drivers licence and SS card.