I have a question, would love your take

nemhoff

After learning today that Lionel Gates got cut, I was a little suprised. I thought that he showed more burst and outside edge capability than the rest of our back up RB's. He was taken as a late rounder, but I saw him as a decent back-up and certainly a better long-term option than Thomas.

I would love thoughts here on why one and not the other (other than washing DJ's cars or balls or whatever) because I just don't see it, but have only seen parts of two of the preseason games. Asking for help out on the west coast.

After learning today that Lionel Gates got cut, I was a little suprised.  I thought that he showed more burst and outside edge capability than the rest of our back up RB's.  He was taken as a late rounder, but I saw him as a decent back-up and certainly a better long-term option than Thomas.

I would love thoughts here on why one and not the other (other than washing DJ's cars or balls or whatever) because I just don't see it, but have only seen parts of two of the preseason games.  Asking for help out on the west coast.

762739[/snapback]

I think what it came down to was DJ's comfort level with A-Train.

A-Train is a known quantity. He has been a starter before, he has had success for DJ. There is a comfort in knowning what you can expect from a player should you need him to step in.

And face it, this is Willis's job, A-Train is here in case disaster strikes and Willis goes down. In that case, the coach has to feel better turning to a guy he trusts rather than an UDFA who has shown "glimpses" but never done it for real.

But, I don't think the decision really was ever about A-Train OR Gates. It was really between Gates and Williams. And Williams won out because he has return and special team ability that Gates does not. Shaud was a great return man in college, April loves him AND he has game experience in the NFL.

Add that up, and Gates was climbing uphill on crutches.

Of course this is just my specualtion.

It just comes down to that it doesn't matter. You're not going to win any games with either of them if McGahee goes out for any prolonged length of time.  :wacko:

762773[/snapback]

Gates=Holcomb

Good enough to be a weak back up that can win you 3 games in a 16 game season.

It also isn't just about running, and we did not see Gates everyday in camp like the coaching staff did. Maybe he struggled with blitz pickups. Maybe he didn't have the greatest hands. Maybe it was his attitude (Not implying anything, just saying that you never know). The coaches had a lot more time to evalute him other than the 4 preseason games that he had played in.

Watching the last pre-season game, A-Train looked a lot better than Gates. I think the race was close and in the end A-Train's final performance put him over the top.

Personally, I would have preferred to keep Gates, because he is younger and because he showed a ton more last preseason (demonstrating his potential).

It seemed that for a big man, Gates didn't like contact. A-Train looks like he knows what it means to have your career almost snatched away and looks excited to finish his runs against DB's. AT is also much better at picking up the guy on the blitz and has better hands.