Gotta a strange car repair question for y'all

The Poojer

ok, so i have a 92 Plymouth Voyager, approaching 195000 miles so needless to say i do not want to sink a penny into it. I am having problems with my windsheild wipers. when I turn them on, it turns off the clock on the factory installed radio, and the wipers will not wipe. eventually they will all come back on and work fine. So I figure it is a fuse problem or maybe a short. But the wierd part of it is this. This happens when the engine is turned on. If I turn the key the other way, you know to turn the batter on(or whatever you want to call it when you turn the key the opposite way)., everything works just fine. Anyone have any thoughts? I have discovered that Rain-ex is a brilliant product so to date it has not been too bad a problem, but I want to make it another 5000 miles or so before getting another car. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

ok, so i have a 92 Plymouth Voyager, approaching 195000 miles so needless to say i do not want to sink a penny into it.  I am having problems with my windsheild wipers.  when I turn them on, it turns off the clock on the factory installed radio, and the wipers will not wipe.  eventually they will all come back on and work fine.  So I figure it is a fuse problem or maybe a short.  But the wierd part of it is this.  This happens when the engine is turned on.  If I turn the key the other way, you know to turn the batter on(or whatever you want to call it when you turn the key the opposite way)., everything works just fine.  Anyone have any thoughts?  I have discovered that Rain-ex is a brilliant product so to date it has not been too bad a problem, but I want to make it another 5000 miles or so before getting another car.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

762093[/snapback]

definately sounds like a short or a loose connection that the engine vibrations arent helping....not much you can do unless you know the wiring of the vehicle or know someone who does and will look at it for free.

On the otherhand...there is a $2 fix. you need a long piece of thick string, tie one end around the very end of the passenger side wiper, then tie the middle around the driver side wiper then lead the string into the cabin of the van and use it to pull the wipers. :(

ok, so i have a 92 Plymouth Voyager, approaching 195000 miles so needless to say i do not want to sink a penny into it.  I am having problems with my windsheild wipers.  when I turn them on, it turns off the clock on the factory installed radio, and the wipers will not wipe.  eventually they will all come back on and work fine.  So I figure it is a fuse problem or maybe a short.  But the wierd part of it is this.  This happens when the engine is turned on.  If I turn the key the other way, you know to turn the batter on(or whatever you want to call it when you turn the key the opposite way)., everything works just fine.  Anyone have any thoughts?  I have discovered that Rain-ex is a brilliant product so to date it has not been too bad a problem, but I want to make it another 5000 miles or so before getting another car.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

762093[/snapback]

The problem is connected to that oxygen sensor change-out you did last year. A voltage surge occured, which can wreak havoc with any vehicle with 195,000 miles on the wiring. :(

Tell the wife that the mechanic said the only fix is more road head for the driver. I've found that being on the receiving end of a road hoagie really seems to keep my mind off of the daily trials and tribulations. You'll forget all about those broken wipers!

:(

Are they (the wipers & radio) on the same circuit? (You can check the owners manual for which fuse feeds what). Also, does the clock maintain the time (i.e. just the display kicks out) or does it require resetting each time?

Just a guess but if they are indeed on the same circuit, I'm guessing the wiper motor is mometarily drawing too much current which causes a short instant when your radio is getting too low or no voltage consequently causing your clock to go off.

On the otherhand...there is a $2 fix.  you need a long piece of thick string, tie one end around the very end of the passenger side wiper, then tie the middle around the driver side wiper then lead the string into the cabin of the van and use it to pull the wipers.  :(

762105[/snapback]

That's effective.

A worker of mine, a long number of years ago did just that with his ratbag '64 Chevelle. He stripped the potmetal from the wiper arms where they were affixed at the base so they would freely move, used stiff wire with affixed loops to gang them together, and had several wraps of stout string on the left arm crossing over and threading through the right wire loop, and the globally-looped master pull string entered the cabin via open window wings.

Needs must... :doh:

yes i just lose the display, the clock maintains the correct time

Are they (the wipers & radio) on the same circuit?  (You can check the owners manual for which fuse feeds what).  Also, does the clock maintain the time (i.e. just the display kicks out) or does it require resetting each time?

Just a guess but if they are indeed on the same circuit, I'm guessing the wiper motor is mometarily drawing too much current which causes a short instant when your radio is getting too low or no voltage consequently causing your clock to go off.

762115[/snapback]

yes i just lose the display, the clock maintains the correct time

That makes it more perplexing. Sorry, about the only thing I can suggest is some 30 weight ball bearings & about 10 qts of Prestone anti-freeze. No wait, better make that Quaker State.

762093[/snapback]

Buy some Rain-X.

Buy some Rain-X.

762172[/snapback]

I love the part where you quoted his post, which said "I have discovered that Rain-ex is a brilliant product so to date it has not been too bad a problem," and then you told him to go buy some Rain X. Poojer thanks you.

ok, so i have a 92 Plymouth Voyager, approaching 195000 miles

762093[/snapback]

Scrap it, Pooj.

If that's legit mileage on a unibody construction, be it Plymouth or Mercedes, the weldments holding the upper suspension mounts and the shock tower themselves, front and rear, have been flexed and fatigued beyond service life. It's likely not a fit chassis for daily over-the-road usage. Even worse if corrosion has occured - and surely it has. Not to mention wheel bearings.

You can be driving down the road and suffer a catastrophic chassis failure or wheel seperation with no warning beforehand.

You can be driving down the road and suffer a catastrophic chassis failure or wheel seperation with no warning beforehand.

762212[/snapback]

It's a little known fact that driving fast and taking chances are the #1 deterrents of chassis failure and wheel separation. Hammer down Pooj! That thing's got another 100k in her!

Scrap it, Pooj.

If that's legit mileage on a unibody construction, be it Plymouth or Mercedes, the weldments holding the upper suspension mounts and the shock tower themselves, front and rear, have been flexed and fatigued beyond service life. It's likely not a fit chassis for daily over-the-road usage. Even worse if corrosion has occured - and surely it has. Not to mention wheel bearings.

762212[/snapback]

Don't listen to him, hit the 200,000 mark. (just go real slow doing it :angry:)