I get the feeling that Steve Foley....

Bill from NYC

Sounds pretty darn suspicious to me.  Off-Duty cop (was he actually in Coronado when this happened or outside of his jurisdiction) sees a car weaving.

763752[/snapback]

Police Officers almost always have statewide jurisdiction. For example, a Buffalo Police Officer vacationing in NYC enjoys the exact same legal authority as a NYC Police Officer, but wait.....you already knew that. :P

Were you trying to say geographical area of employment?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Police Officers almost always have statewide jurisdiction. For example, a Buffalo Police Officer vacationing in NYC enjoys the exact same legal authority as a NYC Police Officer, but wait.....you already knew that.  :P

763772[/snapback]

Police officers don't always have state wide jurisdiction, unless they are state troopers or with some other state agency.

For example, a police officer cannot follow you out of county lines and still pull you over. The only way that something like what you are speaking of may occur is if there is some kind of chase, and the surrounding counties are given some kind of permission to enter the county, or if a cop in the one district asks for support from surrounding districts.

I know about the car pull over thing because one of my tickets was thrown out of court when the judge found out that the officer pulled me over out of his jurisdiction.

Police officers don't always have state wide jurisdiction, unless they are state troopers or with some other state agency.

763784[/snapback]

LOL!!! :P:):P

Never mind. I take what I said back, and do bow to both you, and your wealth of knowledge on the subject which far outweighs mine, under any and all circumstances.

Consider me one of those rank amateurs about which I was speaking.

LOL!!!  :P  :)  :P

Never mind. I take what I said back, and do bow to both you, and your wealth of knowledge on the subject which far outweighs mine, under any and all circumstances.

763792[/snapback]

Do i sense a little sarcasm Bill?

763792[/snapback]

Well, really William, what the heck would you know about police officers?

763792[/snapback]

Wait, let me guess. Cop?

Police Officers almost always have statewide jurisdiction. For example, a Buffalo Police Officer vacationing in NYC enjoys the exact same legal authority as a NYC Police Officer, but wait.....you already knew that.  :P

763772[/snapback]

Exactly. Sounds a little cowboyish to me.

Having been a police officer and having had to deal with all sorts of jurisdictional disputes involving car chases and where jurisdiction ends, I can assure you whether the guy has state jurisdiction (I don't know about California law, so I can't say.) can be a major issue. HOWEVER the issue of him being off duty and getting so involved in a "swerving car" issue is going to be a great bone of contention.

The best, and most realistic cop show ever, bar none.

I met "Harris," and he is a great friggin guy, but the best character in Lt. Scanlon from IAD. Scumbags like him actually exist, or at least used to.  :P

763839[/snapback]

Great show. You were great in it.

I still prefer Hill Street Blues though. Phenomenal writing; it changed the way dramas were done.

Having been a police officer and having had to deal with all sorts of jurisdictional disputes involving car chases and where jurisdiction ends, I can assure you whether the guy has state jurisdiction (I don't know about California law, so I can't say.) can be a major issue.  HOWEVER the issue of him being off duty and getting so involved in a "swerving car" issue is going to be a great bone of contention.

763844[/snapback]

I do concede that it raises an eyebrow, and dictates the need for investigation. That said, given Foley's history, I wouldn't be so quick to throw the cop under the bus, would you?

I do concede that it raises an eyebrow, and dictates the need for investigation. That said, given Foley's history, I wouldn't be so quick to throw the cop under the bus, would you?

763857[/snapback]

Under the circumstances I wouldn't be all that quick to throw Foley under the bus either.

For example, a police officer cannot follow you out of county lines and still pull you over. The only way that something like what you are speaking of may occur is if there is some kind of chase, and the surrounding counties are given some kind of permission to enter the county, or if a cop in the one district asks for support from surrounding districts.

I know about the car pull over thing because one of my tickets was thrown out of court when the judge found out that the officer pulled me over out of his jurisdiction.

763784[/snapback]

Your info is generally correct, but I think that it has probably been clouded by years of watching cheesy police shows on TV.

There is a legal phrase called "fresh pursuit", which doesn't necessarily mean exactly as it sounds. A "pursuit" as many people think of one does not have to occur. Instead, the violation has to occur within the officer's jurisdiction and the stop can occur outside of the jurisdiction. Its not like you can drive through Podunk, USA at 100mph and try to beat the cop to the city limits. You would be amazed when he doesn't turn around at the city limits, issues you a fat ticket (or worse) and then you lose in court.

State Troopers, however, generally don't have to worry 'bout this.

As far as mutual aid agreements go, the vast majority of law enforcement agencies have entered into these with surrounding jurisdictions, allowing them to send assistance and perform law enforcement duties within another jurisdiction.

In Foley's particular case, we don't really know what happened. What we do know, is that Foley put himself in the position that he is in and he is paying for it.

So true.  Regardless of personal opinions, it's better to keep them silent sometimes. 

Cleveland lost a police officer last week after a guy shot through his front door at 12 cops who were trying to serve this scumbag a warrant on rape charges.  The funeral is today and much of the city is in mourning, but I've heard some idiots call radio talk shows this week and scream about how evil Cleveland cops are. 

Folks, these people put their lives on the line for us.  But we've heard it all before.

If you don't want to have a conflict with a police officer, do the following:

1) Don't drive drunk.

2) Don't speed.

3) Don't use drugs.

4) Don't be out at 3:30 in the morning weaving at 90 mph through traffic.  As SD Jarhead quoted here earlier, nothing good happens after 1:00 AM.

5) If the above four fail, follow all directions of the police officer.  That way, chances are you don't get shot.  They do warn you.

If you obey the law, you have nothing to worry about.  If not, well then, nothing I say will change your mind.

Mike

762774[/snapback]

Let me guess... Are you a white male? I am not trying to be combative, it just needs to be said.

There are many times when your 4 points just doesn't hold water... So I noted point 5 or the "catch all rule." I understand that some police officers will act unjustly and disrespectful at times. Myself personally, I will be able to handle that disrespect and power through it. What happens if a person in such a situation does not possess that trust and confidence in the law enforcement agent? Things go down the shitter mighty quickly.

Are people supposes "to handle" handle the disrespect? I know, I know... It might even be perceived disrespect. You still get problems.

One case inpoint that I have is the time I was profiled while riding in my car at 0100 in the morning... I just got back home from working afternoons (0000) and my wife was pregnant with our first child... She was hungry, so I made a run out to the store. I saw a car rush by me in another direction... I drove up the rode and turned north, I drove another 2 miles (I went into a different village) before being pulled over and questioned... At the time, I was unshaven (I have dark hair) and driving a beater. The look on the officer's face was telling when he saw me... He asked a few simple questions and sent me on my way. I can't imagine if things were different... Like a one of my co-worker getting hassled just for sitting in his new Chevy Suburban with his family, yes with his family... Parked in a gas station lot, in an affluent suburb.

Myself, it happened ONCE in my life... I can't imagine what others go through, after many encounters... I bet people start getting tired of it... Trust starts to leave and the encounters/stops get ugly. I am NOT justifying having a short fuse with a cop, but then again I haven't been "disrespected" repeatly.

This guy in SD was doing wrong... Many are minding their own business, these stories don't make the news.

Probably.

Until all of the facts come out, it's tough to speculate on what happened.  I just know that it's tough either way nowadays.  When a person is stopped, they are @ risk.  Even if you comply, something can happen (example:  my uncle is a quadraplegic w/ a van equipped for him to drive; what if he had a spasm during a stop by a cop and the cop gets an itchy trigger during it?).  Now, that said, you also have to feel for the cop who goes into the situation not knowing what will happen and, I'm sure, fearing for the worst.

763762[/snapback]

Exactly!!!!