Men get six months is jail...

IBTG81

Heaven forbid the child rapists actually have to stay in jail. We have to clear them out to make room for Dumpster divers.

761314[/snapback]

Exactly. Someone grabs fruit out of the garbage and gets the same sentence as some sick bastard who molests kids.

Wow is this the new way to arrest homeless people? What right minded cop wouldn't have let them go in the first place? What level headed DA would have let this go court? Just think of it this way, it punishes homeless and equates them to the perverts that have sex with 10 year olds since they get sentence not much longer than that in some cases.

The men admitted that they jumped a fence and took fruits and vegetables from the garbage area at Sweet Pea.

That's what the problem is. They jumped the fence and went on to private property.

It's not about busting the poor down on his luck homeless man, just trying to find an honest bite to eat. They were screwing around outside the store long enough for a neighbor to notice them and call police. They were originally charged with 2nd degree burglary, a felony.

I can see getting busted for the trespassing but the 6-month sentence is overkill. It's not like they were looting and stealing televisions.

I can't put the blame on the cop. If the police were called and the cop shows up to find two guys screwing around outside of the store, what's he going to think? Yeah, right, you're just looking for a bit to eat... and whatever else of value you can find around here. I think the cop did the right thing.

DA probably should have dropped the charges, or reduced it to $25 and time-served. Not going to have any real felons claiming they were just looking for food in that town anytime soon, though.

-Jeff

Apparently, this St James guy is known for locking people up for minor infractions such as this according to the article.

I think it is an example of criminalization of the homeless...

761538[/snapback]

I don't think they were homeless.

The article said the one of the men was a Social Worker.

My guess is they were taking the food to give to a shelter or something.

I don't think they were homeless.

The article said the one of the men was a Social Worker.

My guess is they were taking the food to give to a shelter or something.

761578[/snapback]

You don't have to trespass and steal (even from a dumpster) to get food for shelters. There are plenty of progams where they go to restaurants and and are given the leftover before they go in the trash.

You don't have to trespass and steal (even from a dumpster) to get food for shelters.  There are plenty of progams where they go to restaurants and and are given the leftover before they go in the trash.

761579[/snapback]

Yeah, reading the article more carefully...

Charlé most recently worked as a social worker. Siller is an Americorps volunteer and a yoga instructor. Both men had plans to go to graduate school, family and friends said.

The word homeless doesn't even appear in the article.

If you google the event they were headed to, "Rainbow Family of Living Light", you'll find a Wikipedia article that describes it here.

The description fits the "Americorps Volunteer and Yoga Instructor" persona I think.

So, upon further review, while I still think it's a harsh sentence, I highly *highly* doubt it was a pair of homeless guys. I also doubt they were headed to a shelter or anything of the sort. Sounds to me like they were on their way to a hippie-fest and decided they could use some fruit.

-Jeff

You don't have to trespass and steal (even from a dumpster) to get food for shelters.  There are plenty of progams where they go to restaurants and and are given the leftover before they go in the trash.

761579[/snapback]

Which I'm well aware of. What did that have to do with my post? :w00t:

Yeah, reading the article more carefully...

The word homeless doesn't even appear in the article.

If you google the event they were headed to, "Rainbow Family of Living Light", you'll find a Wikipedia article that describes it here.

The description fits the "Americorps Volunteer and Yoga Instructor" persona I think.

So, upon further review, while I still think it's a harsh sentence, I highly *highly* doubt it was a pair of homeless guys. I also doubt they were headed to a shelter or anything of the sort.  Sounds to me like they were on their way to a hippie-fest and decided they could use some fruit.

-Jeff

761613[/snapback]

http://www2.steamboatpilot.com/news/2006/j...er_the_rainbow/