Rivers in USA Today

Dark Fan

Jerret Bell of USA Today like much of the national media fails to even mention JP in his sidebar about the first round quarterback class of 2004 and their development ahead of Rivers.

JP is becoming the Ken O'Brien of the draft of 2004, a complete afterthought vis a vis the talent drafted with him even though he's starting. Although, I had to be reminded that O'Brien (and Eason and Blackledge) were all drafted ahead of Marino in '83. Cant help but find it irritating.

Jerret Bell of USA Today like much of the national media fails to even mention JP in his sidebar about the first round quarterback class of 2004 and their development ahead of Rivers.

JP is becoming the Ken O'Brien of the draft of 2004,  a complete afterthought vis a vis the talent drafted with him even though he's starting. Although, I had to be reminded that O'Brien (and Eason and Blackledge) were all drafted ahead of Marino in '83. Cant help but find it irritating.

755457[/snapback]

That's ok. USA Today isn't good for much. Unless you're looking for Factoids and colorful pie charts with little cartoon graphics.

JP will be making a name for himself shortly.

Here's the text of the sidebar:

RIVERS BEHIND 2004 MATES

Philip Rivers has some catching up to do.

The other quarterbacks drafted in the first round in 2004 have already scored big.

Ben Roethlisberger in February became the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl after opening with a record 13 consecutive wins as a Pittsburgh Steelers rookie.

Eli Manning helped the New York Giants win the NFC East last season. He has started 23 games, cracking the lineup for the last seven  as a rookie.

"We've started on three different paths," says Rivers, who didn't start a game during his first two years with the San Diego Chargers. "It's kind of interesting. I got to know those guys a little when we were coming out of college, getting ready for the draft. So you keep up with them. I think all of us are going to be successful for a long time."

Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt figures Rivers will have something else in common with his draft-class brethren: defenses that pressure him with heavy blitzes.

"He's got to have some success against some of those looks," Whisenhunt said. "What happened to us, especially at the end of the (rookie) year with Ben, he burned some people because he moved in the pocket and made some throws. By the end of the year, people were backing off and trying to make him beat them that way instead of coming after him with pressure. That's how you get people off of pressuring you."

Whisenhunt thinks the apprenticeship will aid Rivers' transition.

I have to admit Etsh that my initial thoughts were the same as yours. After I thought about it though I figure it's a good thing that JP isn't mentioned.

JP is becoming the Ken O'Brien of the draft of 2004,  a complete afterthought vis a vis the talent drafted with him even though he's starting.

Yeah but don't forget - JP was announced as the starter only today :doh:

What were they supposed to write?

And JP Losman was handed the starting spot last season without a start under his belt and missing most of his rookie season with an injury, only to be pulled after the first couple games of the season after not putting up impressive numbers and some veterans starting up a mutiny to get Holcomb they're starter.

If you notice, they only used examples of the 2 QB's who were drafted in 2004 and have had early success as starters.