Jimmy Leonhard

He is either going to sneak onto the teeam, or be one of our hardest cuts. I like th eguy and would like to see him improve for another year, but the competition at safety is pretty tight.

Vincent

Whitner

Simpson

Baker

Bowen

All of these guys have played better than Leonard. With Bowen hurt, it may be Leonard who limps onto the team.

I hope they keep him. He's got a lot of potential, although he hasn't shown a lot in preseason. Think he'll get cut?

755108[/snapback]

I am confused, why do you think he has a lot of potential if he hasn't shown a lot in preseason. I would rather keep an extra lineman for depth than keep an extra safety.

I am confused, why do you think he has a lot of potential if he hasn't shown a lot in preseason.  I would rather keep an extra lineman for depth than keep an extra safety.

755294[/snapback]

The kid was a walk-on at the University of Wisconsin. By the time he graduated he was leading the Big Ten in interceptions. Now his pro career is beginning as obscure as his college career started. I know about all the differences between college and pro ball, but this kid has heart and a great work ethic. It would be a shame if we didin't give him every opportunity.

Wire has shown pretty much nada in his time here..i'm suprised he lasted this long.

Leonhard is a football player,not blessed with great physical talent but he seems to give 100% all the time...from the little ive seen of him.I hope he makes the final cut.

Leonhard is a football player,not blessed with great physical talent but he seems to give 100% all the time...from the little ive seen of him.I hope he makes the final cut.

755819[/snapback]

Leonhard looked great last year in coverage in pre-season. He seesm to make really good decisions and not get fooled.

Jim Leonhard is a player, but who else is going to be cut? Not Donte Whitner. First round draft picks don't get cut the year they were drafted. Besides he's going to be a good one. Not Ko Simpson, not with his star potential. Not Troy Vincent. I know he's a player that fans love to hate, but the coaching staff respects his experience, and he apparently plays a valuable role in the eyes of coaches and teammates alike as a player coach. Not Rashad Baker who has played well when he was pressed into a starting role and has the flexibility of playing both strong and free safety. Teams rarely keep more than four safeties. If they keep extra DBs, the extras are usually CBs because they are oftern more athletic than safeties. Covering WRs one on one is after all more athletically demanding. Coy Wire is probably on the buble this year despite being ahead of Leonhard. So is Bowen. I think the odds are growing that Bowen will bo on IR, but if not, he's not going to be cut.

Jim Leonhard is a football player, but he's also the shortest and slowest safetie in a group that got a whole lot deeper and faster over the past offseason. I just think he is a victim of numbers and is staring the "turk" right in the face. If special team ability does not save Coy Wire, it definitely won't save Jim Leonard. If special team ability does save Coy Wire, it probably still won't save Jim Leonhard.