Invincible

zevo

Agreed, I saw it last night with the wife and monkeys...it was a great flick. It really brought back memories of the 70's. Although it was set in Philly, it reminded me alot of Buffalo during that time.

The story was inspirational, and although my son didn't like the ending (it wasn't 'hollywood' enough for him), I thought it was terrific.

Marky Mark has turned out to be a decent actor. The soundtrack rocks also!

When you consider a football movie to get you primed for the season, forget the gang inspired one coming out soon and see this one...you won't be disappointed!

I feel like that after every Ben Afleck movie I have seen.

754357[/snapback]

:devil::unsure:

Seriously, I saw the movie with my wife, the lovely and talented Kimberly, Saturday before the game. I thought the 70s fashion and music was dead on. The movie was very good...Wahlberg's a good actor, esp. if you get him in 70's pieces, but I thought Greg Kinnear as Dick Vermeil was terrific. And to CGI the old Vet was the piece de resistance.

LAMP...3500th post!!!

I saw the movie tonight (8/30). I liked it, but I wondered how factual it was. I checked around the internet & found out some interesting facts: Papale played in the WFL with the Philadelphia Bell. In 1974 he had 9 catches for 121 yds & 1 TD. In 1975 he caught 1 pass for a 49 yard TD. I'm not sure if the Eagles actually had those tryouts or not, or if Papale got a private tryout as a result of his days in the WFL.

There was also no TD on the play that ends the movie, the NFL rules prohibited advancing the ball on a play like that in 1976.

:w00t:  :D

Seriously, I saw the movie with my wife, the lovely and talented Kimberly, Saturday before the game.  I thought the 70s fashion and music was dead on.  The movie was very good...Wahlberg's a good actor, esp. if you get him in 70's pieces, but I thought Greg Kinnear as Dick Vermeil was terrific.  And to CGI the old Vet was the piece de resistance.

LAMP...3500th post!!!

754380[/snapback]

I'm going to go see this tomorrow night but I do want to know one thing...does Greg Kinnear do any crying?

ok...no crying

movie was fantastic

probably a little too fantastic

disney embellished on the story a little too much...they tried to make him seem like the average joe that never played much ball but had incredible talent

Papale actually played ball in the WFL before his time with the Eagles, pretty much making fiction of the basic premise of the movie.

From Vince Papale's official web site (http://www.vincepapale.com/):

Papale left [the Interboro School District] in the spring of 1974 to try out for the Philadelphia Bell of the World Football League. He made the team as a Wide Receiver and played for them for 2 seasons (the league folded in 1975).

still a fantastic movie...slightly disappointing that it's not more of a true story

but I wondered how factual it was.

me too, thanks for the info - i suspected as much.

I also watched rudy again the other night and was curious how much of that was true. (ie, did they players really threaten not to play unless rudy dressed, did the qb purposely go against the coach to score a td so rudy could play? Did rudy really get a sack on the final play?)

I saw the movie tonight (8/30).  I liked it, but I wondered how factual it was.  I checked around the internet & found out some interesting facts: Papale played in the WFL with the Philadelphia Bell.  In 1974 he had 9 catches for 121 yds & 1 TD.  In 1975 he caught 1 pass for a 49 yard TD.  I'm not sure if the Eagles actually had those tryouts or not, or if Papale got a private tryout as a result of his days in the WFL. 

There was also no TD on the play that ends the movie, the NFL rules prohibited advancing the ball on a play like that in 1976.

756786[/snapback]

I actually just went back and looked at some facts. You were right about a few things. Vermeil did hold the open tryout but Papale was actually invited to a private workout. It was also months before training camp and Papale worked out like a maniac everyday for months. Vermeil allegedly called him the best conditioned athlete in the country. Also, he wasn't a runt, he was 6'2" 195, big for a WR back then. The play they showed at the end, of the real footage of Papale scoring was actually called back, because you couldnt advance the ball like you said. Plus Rocky came out that year and Papale was nicknamed "Rocky" but the filmakers didn't even bother mentioning Rocky the movie because they stole so much from it.