Doesn't anybody remember...

Drewgetz

Why is everyone so concerned about preseason records. People keep forgetting that preseason doesn't mean a thing even thought it's always being said. Here on the board and announcers as well. I've heard how many times and this goes for any team..."oh, they are 0-2 in preseason, boy are they in trouble." I think during the 4 superbowl years (seems like a lifetime ago) we might have won 1 or 2 preseason games total, most years we went 0-4 (or was it only 3 games back then?) Anyway just wanted to throw that out there for anybody out there to chew up and spit out.

Why is everyone so concerned about preseason records.  People keep forgetting that preseason doesn't mean a thing even thought it's always being said.  Here on the board and announcers as well.  I've heard how many times and this goes for any team..."oh, they are 0-2 in preseason, boy are they in trouble."  I think during the 4 superbowl years (seems like a lifetime ago) we might have won 1 or 2 preseason games total, most years we went 0-4 (or was it only 3 games back then?)  Anyway just wanted to throw that out there for anybody out there to chew up and spit out.

749405[/snapback]

oh, i tried reminding them myself in another post. But they sure did find something to chew onalright. They will argue that those SB Bills teams, while losing a lot in preseason (or I should say not finishing with a higher score), they sure did whoop up on the competition for that one quarter. My a$$. I remember watching preseason back then and watching the most vanilla sh*t being run out there and very little highlight reel material.

Why is everyone so concerned about preseason records.  People keep forgetting that preseason doesn't mean a thing even thought it's always being said.  Here on the board and announcers as well.  I've heard how many times and this goes for any team..."oh, they are 0-2 in preseason, boy are they in trouble."  I think during the 4 superbowl years (seems like a lifetime ago) we might have won 1 or 2 preseason games total, most years we went 0-4 (or was it only 3 games back then?)  Anyway just wanted to throw that out there for anybody out there to chew up and spit out.

749405[/snapback]

I think it had to do with the fact we had:

Kelly: Proven QB

Thomas: Pro Bowl RB

Reed: Pro Bowl WR

Bruce: All Time Sack King

Sick LB's

Great O-Line

Solid DB's

The Bills had a proven core of veterans that very rarely saw the field in preseason, so no one got worried when the backups backups lost to the Cleveland Browns

That is true. Nevertheless, we all knew that we had a great team then regardless of the preseason record.

Back then, we were trying not to get hurt and get some reps.

Now, we are trying to fill so many more pieces of the puzzle.

Just a quick FYI - we are 0-4 in preseason twice - 1990 and 2002. In 1990, we went 13-3, then lost to the Giants in Superbowl XXV. (Thanks again, Scottie!) In 2002, we were 8-8 and missed the playoffs.

But Marv was notorius for 'blowing off' the preseason because his roster was roughly 75% (or more) final before training camp even began. In fact - if memory serves - I seem to recall Jim, Bruce, and others being practically AWOL at the beginning of camp.

No one on TSW - OK...almost no one - cares about the preseason win-loss record. I think we all know that - while not totally meaningless - it's not at all significant. We're more concerned with the offensive and defensive quality of play, hustle, QB accuracy and poise, coaching decisions, etc., etc.

The problem is when you have a good team lose pre-season games (like the Marv Bills teams of the 90's), you say they are working out the bugs and giving younger/newer players a chance to make the team. :lol:

When you have been terrible for the past few season, and you lose preseason games you give a harbinger of things to come. :devil:

"Your shower shoes have fungus on them. If you win 20 in The Show, you can have fungus on your shower shoes and the press will think you're colorful. Until then, though, it means you're a slob." - Crash Davis in Bull Durham

The problem is when you have a good team lose pre-season games (like the Marv Bills teams of the 90's), you say they are working out the bugs and giving younger/newer players a chance to make the team.    :lol:

When you have been terrible for the past few season, and you lose preseason games you give a harbinger of things to come.  :devil:

"Your shower shoes have fungus on them. If you win 20 in The Show, you can have fungus on your shower shoes and the press will think you're colorful. Until then, though, it means you're a slob." - Crash Davis in Bull Durham

749586[/snapback]

That's basically my theory. Good teams lose in preseason because they're solid on both sides of the ball before camp even starts, so their starters rest and their roster depth and camp fodder get that much more playing time. Bad teams have so many holes to fill that their starters play that much more, and against good teams' second-, third- and later stringers, so they win more preseason games.

I should actually go back and correllate pre-season with regular season records to see how true that is...

...nah. It'll cut into my drinking.

749405[/snapback]

Oh I remember. But even then we didn't play as poorly as we have the last 3 years in the preseason where the mistakes carried over and then people started to moan and cry about our ineptitude and find just one guy on the roster to blame.

Sorry, but I'm getting tired of all the scapegoating. Problems need to be addressed now so that we don't lose games like we have been during the start of the regular season.