ESPN MNF

Rico

I don't know, I guess I am always in the minority when it comes to broadcast crews...through three quarters, I think they are doing a pretty damn good job...Kornheiser is really nothing like Dennis Miller...he is actually humourous, without being a smug arrogant prick, and at least knows something about football, maybe not X's & O's, but the NFL...is there anybody that anybody does like? 

I know it always tempting to turn the game down and put music on, or the radio coverage, but honestly, I don't enjoy the games as much...I know a lot of the lower profile guys who do the Bills games are awful (Randy Cross is the one guy I think is just horrendous), but I think all of the nationally televised game guys are decent...Theisman gets a bad rap sometimes, but he has improved a lot...the only big guy a truly can't stand is Joe Buck...

743463[/snapback]

Tex,

You've mentioned this before and I've generally agreed that most people irrationally hate most announcers. But Mike Patrick was horrific - perhaps my hatred from him stems from the fact that I want to grab his throat for sucking Coach K's wang during college hoops season. So glad he's out of the NFL.

Kornheiser - no problem with him in general but he got off to a shakey start tonight. "How can you fumble on national TV?" Like guys try harder not to fumble on Monday night? Whatever, he's still green so I'll give him time.

Theismann - sometimes I love him for having the balls to rip referees and question why teams don't throw deep more given how many bad interference flags are thrown. But other times he's really annoying with his "I had a chance to talk to offensive coordinator Jack Mehoff last night and we talked much about nothing" comments which he throws out there a dozen times per game.

Madden is good - people hate him because it's the cool thing to do IMO. He has some valid points and many of his comments people criticize are meant to be toungue&cheek and people just take him and probably life way too seriously.

Dan Dierforf - I used to hate when he was on MNF because he always seemed to be pulling for the Dolphins vs. the Bills in the Marino/Kelly days. Since he's been teamed w/ Endberg on CBS I've grown to like him quite a bit. Has some solid constructive criticism and seems like a down to earth guy that would talk to you for hours if you ran into him at a bar.

Phil Simms - can't stand him. Has he ever criticized anybody ever? Coach? Player? Ref? Fan? Anyone? Ever?

Randy Cross - is God awful no question.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hulk Hogan sure looks old...

he's the Troy Vincent of the WWE. :blink:

743477[/snapback]

:ph34r: thats really not that far off. Hulk Hogan plays politics backstage. Troy Vincent plays politics in the locker room and for the nflpa :(

but to be fair to Hogan Troy Vincent wouldn't compete with injuries. He'd miss a month or two

Tex,

You've mentioned this before and I've generally agreed that most people irrationally hate most announcers.  But Mike Patrick was horrific - perhaps my hatred from him stems from the fact that I want to grab his throat for sucking Coach K's wang during college hoops season.  So glad he's out of the NFL.   

Most announcers just come across as stupid. I wish they'd be more like Jaws, and actually give comments on Xs and Os rather then just obvious comments that I could tell you. Its the Madden disease.

Kornheiser - no problem with him in general but he got off to a shakey start tonight.  "How can you fumble on national TV?"  Like guys try harder not to fumble on Monday night?  Whatever, he's still green so I'll give him time. 

Agreed. Tony's a smart guy, and I think he'll get much better. He also didn't remind me of Miller.

Theismann - sometimes I love him for having the balls to rip referees and question why teams don't throw deep more given how many bad interference flags are thrown.  But other times he's really annoying with his "I had a chance to talk to offensive coordinator Jack Mehoff last night and we talked much about nothing" comments which he throws out there a dozen times per game.

Theisman's a jackass who thinks he's much smarter then he actually is. At least, thats the way it comes across.

The worst was when last season it was a game in late november or december. They were talking about who coach of the year should be, and he cuts off Mike Patrick who is saying Lovie Smith should be, a decent choice, to say "Mike Tice is coach of the year. He's done a heck of a job in Minnesota." MIKE FRIGGIN TICE? What the hell's wrong with you.

Madden is good - people hate him because it's the cool thing to do IMO.  He has some valid points and many of his comments people criticize are meant to be toungue&cheek and people just take him and probably life way too seriously.

My Favorite Take On Madden

Dan Dierforf - I used to hate when he was on MNF because he always seemed to be pulling for the Dolphins vs. the Bills in the Marino/Kelly days.  Since he's been teamed w/ Endberg on CBS I've grown to like him quite a bit.  Has some solid constructive criticism and seems like a down to earth guy that would talk to you for hours if you ran into him at a bar.

Phil Simms - can't stand him.  Has he ever criticized anybody ever?  Coach?  Player?  Ref?  Fan?  Anyone?  Ever?

Randy Cross - is God awful no question.

743481[/snapback]

Agree with your takes on the rest.

What made Miller so good (bad) was the fact that Fouts so obviously couldn't stand him. My favorite moment was an int in a Pats-Jets game (Otis Smith maybe?) and Miller says: "every time you think this guy's washed up he comes up with a big pick". Fouts immediately jumps in with: "Actually Dennis that's only his 2nd pick in the last 4 years" followed by a solid 5 seconds of dead air before Al Michaels changed the subject and pretended like nothing happened. :(

What made Miller so good (bad) was the fact that Fouts so obviously couldn't stand him.  My favorite moment was an int in a Pats-Jets game (Otis Smith maybe?) and Miller says: "every time you think this guy's washed up he comes up with a big pick".  Fouts immediately jumps in with: "Actually Dennis that's only his 2nd pick in the last 4 years" followed by a solid 5 seconds of dead air before Al Michaels changed the subject and pretended like nothing happened.  :(

743500[/snapback]

Hahaha, thats awesome

Tex,

You've mentioned this before and I've generally agreed that most people irrationally hate most announcers.  But Mike Patrick was horrific - perhaps my hatred from him stems from the fact that I want to grab his throat for sucking Coach K's wang during college hoops season.  So glad he's out of the NFL.   

743481[/snapback]

Yeah, I guess I didn't mean to say that I think they are all good, only that I just find it hard to muster up so much disdain for any of them (except Cross and Joe Buck...he is just such an ass, and so full of himself...I apply the criticism that most seem to have of Costas, to Buck), that it makes me not enjoy a good game...what ruins the network coverage for me, more than announcers, is useless graphics (get that !@#$ing animated yard marker off the field FOX, it is embarassing) and poor camera work.

I love fantasy football, but I really hate having stats from other games all over the screen. In the fourth quarter of a game, I don't need to know that Ravens receiver Derrick Abney has 2 receptions for 7 yards....

If you've ever had to watch a game at a crowded sports bar, with no sound, the information overkill just makes it harder to follow the game....I like to watch the action...FOX (I believe it is) runs constant scores for other games, with real time clock, along the top of the screen, and fantasy sport stats across the bottom of the screen...add to this, living in Austin, so we have an overly zealous weathermen who like to stick weather warnings graphics on top of all of this pretty regularly. I am hoping there is a return to the basics in this area...what I saw of the ESPN broadcast tonight was, surprisingly, understated...kind of refreshing.

As the pretty great (again- now that he is not nodding off in the booth with Summerall) John Madden said last year, after a controversial fumble review that delayed the MNF game he was doing, "You know, I kind a miss the old days, when a fumble was just a fumble...." I think Madden is much more sublimely funny than a lot of people give him credit for...

I 100% agree with you about Dierdorf...he was great before MNF, and has returned to form, doing the Sunday afternoon games. I think sitting behind the MNF mics made him think he had to look for controversy at every corner. He is as knowledgeable as anyone.

I also think we don't get as much X's & 0's stuff anymore, because the networks think we can't handle it...

As the pretty great (again- now that he is not nodding off in the booth with Summerall) John Madden said last year, after a controversial fumble review that delayed the MNF game he was doing, "You know, I kind a miss the old days, when a fumble was just a fumble...."  I think Madden is much more sublimely funny than a lot of people give him credit for...

743544[/snapback]

From the link I posted above....

"I can't make this up, John Madden said this word for word after Troy Aikman lost a contact on the sideline.... Here's a guy who when he puts his contact in he can see better."

From the link I posted above....

"I can't make this up, John Madden said this word for word after Troy Aikman lost a contact on the sideline.... Here's a guy who when he puts his contact in he can see better."

743549[/snapback]

So, its' true! He knows his stuff!

:(

There isn't a lot any of these guys can tell me, that the camera can't...Madden is a color commentator, and he adds color as well as anyone...and amongst all of his Maddenisms, he still has some great insights...he may some stupid sh-- sometimes, but you know what he means...I like the fact that I think he really, truly loves the game, and it comes through in his broadcasts. He is who he is, and hasn't really changed much over the 20 something years he has been doing games...

I talked to Frank Caliendo a little bit, last week, after one of his shows...I asked him if Madden really hated his dead on imitation as much as Caliendo said in his routine....he said Madden told him he didn't like it, with a twinkle in his eye, as if to say he got a kick out of it, was in on the joke...

I 100% agree with you about Dierdorf...he was great before MNF, and has returned to form, doing the Sunday afternoon games.  I think sitting behind the MNF mics made him think he had to look for controversy at every corner.  He is as knowledgeable as anyone. 

I also think we don't get as much X's & 0's stuff anymore, because the networks think we can't handle it...

743544[/snapback]

Problem I had with dierdorf, and theisman falls into this for me, is that every time a player makes a slightly better than routine play the "folks, let me tell you, X player is one of the best at his position in the NFL" routine. Every stinking week the LDE is one of the best in the NFL.

Thought Tony was good last night, not great, not horrible, but good. He will get better as time goes on, and I think he made Theisman almost bearble, at least 100 times better than the ESPN crew of the last few years.

Mike Tirico is very good. I'm excited to watch/listen to him this year. The other two will be gone next year. Al Micheals is a fraud and not happy he has resurfaced at NBC. He does even watch the game or have good knowledge of basic fundamentals.

Seriously, gang, what exactly does Tony "Master of the Obvious" Kornheiser add to these broadcasts other than, "Man, that was a bad play, dontcha think, Joe?" Erm...I can basically get that from the half-slumbering drunk at the barstool to my left. It all comes down to the networks believing the viewers can't handle anything other than the boorish locker room antics of things like The Man Show. Let's see, we have some wisecracking nitwit columnist who doesn't know a right tackle from a tackle box and then you've got two chicks on the sidelines giving reports - fodder for sexual debates amongst depraved bloggers. I mean, all we need are some midgets on trampelines. Hmm...maybe I oughta work for ESPN...

I don't know about you guys and gals, but I tune in for the game first and foremost. Now, as someone in the broadcasting field, I admire a tight, entertaining, lively crew - and think it essential. No one wants to listen to Ronnie Lott or Joe Montana for four quarters. But, I draw the line at guys like Dennis Miller or Kornheiser who are there purely to fulfill some network execs cross-promotional fantasy, all the while clogging up the broadcast with their non-sequitorial gibberish about how Art Shell would look in a speedo or who would win in a fight: SuperMan or Randy Moss.

It's gonna be a long year on MNF in my humble opinion.

I thought the MNF crew did a pretty good job last night. I think Kornheiser was a good addition especially since he was getting in Theisman's grill ALL NIGHT LONG!!! I thought those two were going to throw down. You could tell Theisman was getting a little frustrated.

Time to take the Buffalo by the horns JP. Looking forward to attending on Friday.

I thought Kornheiser sucked; it was painful for me to listen to, he is an idiot. I hope they can his ass and get McGuire and Patrick back in there with Theisman...yeah, I actually like those 3 together, I'll admit it. Tirico isn't bad, I like him better calling college ball though...

I thought the MNF crew did a pretty good job last night. I think Kornheiser was a good addition especially since he was getting in Theisman's grill ALL NIGHT LONG!!! I thought those two were going to throw down. You could tell Theisman was getting a little frustrated.

Time to take the Buffalo by the horns JP. Looking forward to attending on Friday.

743648[/snapback]

I watched about a quarter and a half before I had to shut it off. With the exception of Tirico I don't see how anybody can stand listening to this crew. Then again there aren't many announcing teams in which I like both (or all) of the guys in the both.

I know, but I was talking about last nights game and the one last week on NBC....I thought it was lame.

HDNet is still the best I've seen with regard to camera angles/coverage.

743363[/snapback]

Re NBC - On Sunday, their teeny text in their 1st series listing of the starters was poor - I had to strain to see the players' jersey numbers.

And that black tongue licking across the screen oblitered the end of numerous replays, too.

So, its' true!  He knows his stuff! 

:(

There isn't a lot any of these guys can tell me, that the camera can't...Madden is a color commentator, and he adds color as well as anyone...and amongst all of his Maddenisms, he still has some great insights...he may some stupid sh-- sometimes, but you know what he means...I like the fact that I think he really, truly loves the game, and it comes through in his broadcasts.  He is who he is, and hasn't really changed much over the 20 something years he has been doing games...

I talked to Frank Caliendo a little bit, last week, after one of his shows...I asked him if Madden really hated his dead on imitation as much as Caliendo said in his routine....he said Madden told him he didn't like it, with a twinkle in his eye, as if to say he got a kick out of it, was in on the joke...

743557[/snapback]

I went to the first one on Friday night. lol, I love Caliendo.