I thought Losman played pretty well against the

I for one am hoping JP is the starting QB this season. I am hoping he, by the end of the year, shows that he is a legitimate NFL starting QB. I don't have my hopes so high to think he is going to the pro bowl soon, if ever. A middle of the road QB would be best case scenario for now.

There are 4 things I take away from JP's performance tonight:

1) His inaccuracy early is troubling.

2) On at least 3 plays where Holcomb would have been sacked, he created space and time with his running ability. It is uncanny how can get out of a sure sack sometimes, avoiding a negative play. On 2 of those 3, the result was a 1st down. The other an incomplete pass.

3) It was a good sign that, while he struggled early, he was able to overcome it. That's been a knock on him in the past...he looks good, and then he makes a bad throw goes into a shell. Well, this time he played his way out of it and looked good after playing poorly.

4) Even on the throws that were inaccurate, he made the right decisions and was throwing to the right receiver. That decision making is a big thing. WR's also dropped a couple of balls that they should have caught (including Josh Reed on JPs 1st play, that would have been another 1st down against the carolina 1st team).

We'll see how he does next week.

Yeah, I've read a few comments on the lack of TE usage in the game.  Does anyone know how RR looked(if he was even out there today)?

742115[/snapback]

RR was the intended received on Holcomb's interception.

Everett made a couple of catches from JP, including an important one on the TD drive, which was a good sign.

1st drive of the 1st pre-season game, yes.....but 8 punts & 2 fumbles were their next 10 drives.

You could at least wait a week or two before you right the defense off.

742101[/snapback]

bro

i am with you 100% on this.

the D without spikes and while still figuring a new system without all our starters in place got beat up on one drive and the kicked huge ass afterwards.

i think with mccargo and whitner contributing along with a healthy spikes we will be forcing a lot of turnovers and really frustrating opponents.

Just remember it's a lot easier to look comfortable in the pocket without Peppers, Rucker, Jenkins and such in the game.

Don't overhype JPs performance, this is exactly why Jauron let KH start the game. JP starting would have been disaster and he would have looked no better than Holcomb. He's setting JP Up to improve and gain confidence over the preseason.

Just remember it's a lot easier to look comfortable in the pocket without Peppers, Rucker, Jenkins and such in the game.

Don't overhype JPs performance, this is exactly why Jauron let KH start the game. JP starting would have been disaster and he would have looked no better than Holcomb. He's setting JP Up to improve and gain confidence over the preseason.

742205[/snapback]

JP didn't have to face the Panthers starters, but don't forget that he also played the 2nd half with the Bills backups and camp fodder in the game as well.

Personally, I thought the defense looked pretty good after the adjustments. Kyle Williams was in on some plays getting talked about by even the Carolina announcers. (Live in Charlotte) JP looked alright but a big door was opened for Nall. If he can come back healthy and play, the job could be his.

We'll have to wait and see what he can do against 1st stringers not backups and camp fodder.  I am hoping he is it, or it will be a very long season again.    :D

742141[/snapback]

Once again, I see the O-Line killing us game after game. This will stunt JP's progress to some degree.

I think the D will come along and do a fine job.

Wow... 5-11?

I agree of not getting ahead of ourselves with JP.  I just hope they realize he is the best thing we have and he needs to play.  Sitting Holcomb isn't going to cost us a Super Bowl, and if we didn't think JP had a decent shot in developing we were silly to pass on Leinart and Cutler.  JP needs to start 16 games this year, and I hope that leads us to 9-7 and not 5-11.  Excitement when he does well is nice, but we have to be patient and judge him on the big picture progress.  QB is different from every other position on the field, and we really have to find out what we have with him this season, because if he isn't the guy we have to know by next off season.

742103[/snapback]

Exactly; smartest words used to describe our QB situation. Maybe last year after the way we finished the season and having expectations you could say maybe bringing along a young QB and giving him the starting job could be holding us back but in 2006, 8 wins would be considered a success. Even though I was against us drafting a QB in this past draft, if they don't think JP can get it done then why not start over as we aren't going anywhere with Kelly Holcomb at QB.

Did you guys see the 3rd and 7 play in the second quarter where JP eluded linemen twice, rolled out to the right, threw on the run, and almost hit Price for the 1st down. They showed some different angles, and other than the athleticism to get away, it was a really good read, he threw a great pass to a point as far on the sideline as he could and give price a chance to catch it, had no real chance of being intercepted even though the DB closed and broke it up. Goes in the books as just an incomplete pass and time to punt, but that was a hell of a play and showed a lot of what this kid can do.

Throughout the night I was happy with his reads. He needs to improve his accuracy, which he did as the game progressed. I've always been a JP fan, but watching this game and being able to look at plays a couple times with the Tivo, I am very happy with the performance. I think that once the coaching staff looks a the tape things will be even more clear cut than they are now.

Did you guys see the 3rd and 7 play in the second quarter where JP eluded linemen twice, rolled out to the right, threw on the run, and almost hit Price for the 1st down.  They showed some different angles, and other than the athleticism to get away, it was a really good read, he threw a great pass to a point as far on the sideline as he could and give price a chance to catch it, had no real chance of being intercepted even though the DB closed and broke it up.  Goes in the books as just an incomplete pass and time to punt, but that was a hell of a play and showed a lot of what this kid can do.

Throughout the night I was happy with his reads.  He needs to improve his accuracy, which he did as the game progressed.  I've always been a JP fan, but watching this game and being able to look at plays a couple times with the Tivo, I am very happy with the performance.  I think that once the coaching staff looks a the tape things will be even more clear cut than they are now.

742258[/snapback]

Jp will just keep getting better and better as the preseason rolls along.

Could be right, 5-11 could happen, but that is pretty pessimistic, and I don't understand why someone who likes the Bills enough to write about them in the preseason wouldn't want to look at some more upside.  I guess you really are looking forward to that "I told you so" when all us optimists are proved wrong. 

742103[/snapback]

New to TSW huh? ;)

Did you guys see the 3rd and 7 play in the second quarter where JP eluded linemen twice, rolled out to the right, threw on the run, and almost hit Price for the 1st down.  They showed some different angles, and other than the athleticism to get away, it was a really good read, he threw a great pass to a point as far on the sideline as he could and give price a chance to catch it, had no real chance of being intercepted even though the DB closed and broke it up.  Goes in the books as just an incomplete pass and time to punt, but that was a hell of a play and showed a lot of what this kid can do.

742258[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing. He didn't run for the sake of running and he was looking downfield. That was a sweet paly that shows glimpses of what could be with the proper development.