Charlotte Observer beat writer says...

Offense was pretty, but defense still gritty

SCOTT FOWLER

The Carolina Panthers only heightened their great expectations Saturday night against Buffalo.

When Carolina's first-teamers played in this preseason opener -- and that was just during the first quarter -- the Panthers looked scary. They looked unstoppable. They looked like they would win two Super Bowls in the same season.

Take a deep breath this morning, Panthers fans. It was just an exhibition, no matter how much they charged you for the tickets. Buffalo will be one of the worst teams in the NFL. That game didn't mean anything.

Nevertheless, if you're reading the sweet tea leaves here, that was an awfully good start. Nobody got hurt and when the Panthers played their starters, they were virtually perfect. The starters departed with a 14-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.

The reserves frittered all but one point of that lead away, which means two things: Carolina won the game, 14-13, and the Panthers better not get a lot of starters hurt this season.

For the game's first quarter, every 30 seconds some Panther was doing something great -- especially on defense. If it wasn't Julius Peppers sacking the quarterback, it was Maake Kemoeatu stuffing a play up the middle. Or safety Shaun Williams showing up nicely in run support.

Or, most notably, Ken Lucas jumping on a short route, picking off hapless Buffalo quarterback Kelly Holcomb and running the ball back 23 yards for a quick touchdown to give Carolina an early 14-0 lead.

Said Peppers: "We are right on track to where we should be headed."

While Panthers fans who were at the game will talk more this morning about Jake Delhomme leading a gorgeous opening drive for a touchdown, don't forget where this team's bread is buttered.

Defense.

The first-team defense played four series Saturday night, allowed zero first downs and scored a TD. You can't do much better than that, although the Panthers players didn't seem terribly impressed with it.

"We had a sack and a touchdown," Mike Rucker said. "The first quarter was pretty good."

Pretty good? It was fabulous. Yes, Buffalo is headed straight toward a 4-12 season and has no quarterback. But the Bills do boast a fine running back in Willis McGahee and a couple of other decent offensive threats.

Didn't matter. Carolina was the NFL's No. 3 defense last season, and it showed Saturday night it has a real chance to get to No. 1 this season.

The offense?

The Panthers' second string wasn't impressive, including rookie running back DeAngelo Williams (eight carries, 21 yards). But the first stringers rocked.

With Steve Smith sitting on the sideline with a hamstring pull, Delhomme threw his first pass of the night on a slant to Keyshawn Johnson.

Johnson gained 18 yards and spun the ball on the ground like a top after he was tackled. It was a move Smith perfected a couple of years ago, so I'm thinking Keyshawn's move was sort of a tribute.

Then Delhomme started spreading it out -- twice to Keary Colbert, again to Keyshawn and later a strike between three Buffalo defenders to Drew Carter for a 14-yard touchdown. Seven plays, six passes, five completions, one TD.

Then coach John Fox sat Delhomme down, which made perfect sense. It didn't look like Delhomme needed a bit more work.

Of course, the preseason can be deceiving. Carolina could look horrible next week. Ultimately, neither that game nor this one counts.

But the first impression of the Panthers -- at least their first-teamers -- couldn't have been much better Saturday night.

Scott Fowler: (704) 358-5140; sfowler@charlotteobserver.com.

The Panthers are my second favorite team in the NFL. Living down here they have become my adopted hometown team for the past 5 years. With that said I follow them just as closely as the Bills and if there is one thing I have learned, sports writters down here don't know SQUAT about the NFL. NASCAR and college ball coverage is outstanding but the NFL, it's a joke.

The Panthers are my second favorite team in the NFL. Living down here they have become my adopted hometown team for the past 5 years. With that said I follow them just as closely as the Bills and if there is one thing I have learned, sports writters down here don't know SQUAT about the NFL. NASCAR and college ball coverage is outstanding but the NFL, it's a joke.

742073[/snapback]

Don't forget hockey!

742073[/snapback]

Don't know what it about ex-Buffalopatriots in NC (maybe not just NC and just me)... Living outside of WNY, I could NEVER root for a team in a sport that fielded a Buffalo team other than that Buffalo team... Even if that non-Buffalo team was playing some other city/region. The only sport in Chicago I can root for is baseball (because Buffalo doesn't have a ML team)... Even though, I would still pick the Yanks or Mets in a heart felt tug over the Sox or Cubs... Basketball, forget about it, even during their run... I rooted against the Bulls! (probably because of the whole Braves thing growing up) Even the 'Hawks, I feel painful just attempting to root for them... I somehow secretly want their opponent to win.

Is it just me... Because I am "exiled?" Or is it because Chicago is such a great sports town with a core of sport's fans that probably rivals none?... There just is no room to "adopt" here... I could NEVER adopt honestly a team outside of Buffalo/NY if that sport also existed professionally (major) in WNY... Even if I lived in Carolina, where tickets to sports games could be had regularly...

Go figure... :D;)<_<

I must be a diehard WNY'er/NY'er???...

Don't know what it about ex-Buffalopatriots in NC (maybe not just NC and just me)... Living outside of WNY, I could NEVER root for a team in a sport that fielded a Buffalo team other than that Buffalo team... Even if that non-Buffalo team was playing some other city/region.  The only sport in Chicago I can root for is baseball (because Buffalo doesn't have a ML team)... Even though, I would still pick the Yanks or Mets in a heart felt tug over the Sox or Cubs... Basketball, forget about it, even during their run... I rooted against the Bulls! (probably because of the whole Braves thing growing up)  Even the 'Hawks, I feel painful just attempting to root for them... I somehow secretly want their opponent to win.

Is it just me... Because I am "exiled?"  Or is it because Chicago is such a great sports town with a core of sport's fans that probably rivals none?... There just is no room to "adopt" here...  I could NEVER adopt honestly a team outside of Buffalo/NY if that sport also existed professionally (major) in WNY... Even if I lived in Carolina, where tickets to sports games could be had regularly...

Go figure... :D  ;)  <_<

742112[/snapback]

I'm with you 100% on this. I can't stomach the NBA and, like you, a lot of that has to do with the Braves. I'm a diehard Mets fan and have been my whole life but would have been a Buffalo fan had they had a MLB team.

WRT the article above, I can't believe that any self-respecting sports writer (is there such a thing?) would spooge in his pants over the first preseason game. Wow! What a dork. :ph34r:

Don't know what it about ex-Buffalopatriots in NC (maybe not just NC and just me)... Living outside of WNY, I could NEVER root for a team in a sport that fielded a Buffalo team other than that Buffalo team... Even if that non-Buffalo team was playing some other city/region.  The only sport in Chicago I can root for is baseball (because Buffalo doesn't have a ML team)... Even though, I would still pick the Yanks or Mets in a heart felt tug over the Sox or Cubs... Basketball, forget about it, even during their run... I rooted against the Bulls! (probably because of the whole Braves thing growing up)  Even the 'Hawks, I feel painful just attempting to root for them... I somehow secretly want their opponent to win.

Is it just me... Because I am "exiled?"  Or is it because Chicago is such a great sports town with a core of sport's fans that probably rivals none?... There just is no room to "adopt" here...  I could NEVER adopt honestly a team outside of Buffalo/NY if that sport also existed professionally (major) in WNY... Even if I lived in Carolina, where tickets to sports games could be had regularly...

Go figure... :D  ;)  <_<

742112[/snapback]

I agree with you. I could care less about the Braves, Falcons, Thrashers, Hawks... and so on. I think it's because sports (Sabres and Bills, really) are so big back home that they're actually a part of daily life for a lot of people. Walk into a Tops and count the Bills jackets in November and you'll understand what I'm saying.

That said, any time I even think about getting behind another team, it almost feels as though I'm trying to change part of that "WNY Heritage", if that makes sense??

The fan bases are so different around here, too. Lots more corporate sleeze-boxes and complimentary "thanks for your purchase of our software" seats. You see no where near the level of intensity that you'd get at RWS.

It's a "Go team!!! Honey, do you want another diet coke and some cotton candy?" crowd verses a "J-E-T-S SUCK SUCK SUCK" crowd.

And, lastly, living down here for 10 years now, about the only WNY thing I've got left (besides the old snow shovel in the basement and the food every now and then) is the sports. Brings back that feeling of watching Kelly et al. outside on a 50 degree October day when I lived in Orchard Park. Anything else just feels wrong.

-Jeff

Don't know what it about ex-Buffalopatriots in NC (maybe not just NC and just me)... Living outside of WNY, I could NEVER root for a team in a sport that fielded a Buffalo team other than that Buffalo team... Even if that non-Buffalo team was playing some other city/region.

I agree. Carolina is a unique animal because the team started while I was living here. I love NFL football. It's like your cousin. They are still family but not like your brother or sister. Most Sundays I stay home, give the tickets to my brother and watch the Bills.

I sat in front of a douche bag who grew up in Corning as a Bills fan. He announced to all his buddies that I lived in Charlotte 15 years and hasn't switched over yet. Blah blah blah. I calmly told him if the Bills were good this year he better not try jumping back on the bandwagon. One reason I don't care much for Panthers fans, a majority are very fickle.

Longtime Bills fan here....that guy gave the Bills too much credit. I don't think they win 3 games, let alone 4. Face it people- Bills are in a MAJOR REBUILDING mode. I don't like them any less, I will watch and listen to every game and the pre & post game and talk shows as well. I just do not have any delusions that they will be a playoff team or even have a winning record. They have a ton of good, young players that need to develop while many more other changes need to be made. I don't mind getting in on the ground floor again. They will be fantastic in 2-3 years. At least there is a clear direction now and no more TD/MM garbage.

Offense was pretty, but defense still gritty

SCOTT FOWLER

The Carolina Panthers only heightened their great expectations Saturday night against Buffalo.

When Carolina's first-teamers played in this preseason opener -- and that was just during the first quarter -- the Panthers looked scary. They looked unstoppable. They looked like they would win two Super Bowls in the same season.

Take a deep breath this morning, Panthers fans. It was just an exhibition, no matter how much they charged you for the tickets. Buffalo will be one of the worst teams in the NFL. That game didn't mean anything.

Nevertheless, if you're reading the sweet tea leaves here, that was an awfully good start. Nobody got hurt and when the Panthers played their starters, they were virtually perfect. The starters departed with a 14-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.

The reserves frittered all but one point of that lead away, which means two things: Carolina won the game, 14-13, and the Panthers better not get a lot of starters hurt this season.

For the game's first quarter, every 30 seconds some Panther was doing something great -- especially on defense. If it wasn't Julius Peppers sacking the quarterback, it was Maake Kemoeatu stuffing a play up the middle. Or safety Shaun Williams showing up nicely in run support.

Or, most notably, Ken Lucas jumping on a short route, picking off hapless Buffalo quarterback Kelly Holcomb and running the ball back 23 yards for a quick touchdown to give Carolina an early 14-0 lead.

Said Peppers: "We are right on track to where we should be headed."

While Panthers fans who were at the game will talk more this morning about Jake Delhomme leading a gorgeous opening drive for a touchdown, don't forget where this team's bread is buttered.

Defense.

The first-team defense played four series Saturday night, allowed zero first downs and scored a TD. You can't do much better than that, although the Panthers players didn't seem terribly impressed with it.

"We had a sack and a touchdown," Mike Rucker said. "The first quarter was pretty good."

Pretty good? It was fabulous. Yes, Buffalo is headed straight toward a 4-12 season and has no quarterback. But the Bills do boast a fine running back in Willis McGahee and a couple of other decent offensive threats.

Didn't matter. Carolina was the NFL's No. 3 defense last season, and it showed Saturday night it has a real chance to get to No. 1 this season.

The offense?

The Panthers' second string wasn't impressive, including rookie running back DeAngelo Williams (eight carries, 21 yards). But the first stringers rocked.

With Steve Smith sitting on the sideline with a hamstring pull, Delhomme threw his first pass of the night on a slant to Keyshawn Johnson.

Johnson gained 18 yards and spun the ball on the ground like a top after he was tackled. It was a move Smith perfected a couple of years ago, so I'm thinking Keyshawn's move was sort of a tribute.

Then Delhomme started spreading it out -- twice to Keary Colbert, again to Keyshawn and later a strike between three Buffalo defenders to Drew Carter for a 14-yard touchdown. Seven plays, six passes, five completions, one TD.

Then coach John Fox sat Delhomme down, which made perfect sense. It didn't look like Delhomme needed a bit more work.

Of course, the preseason can be deceiving. Carolina could look horrible next week. Ultimately, neither that game nor this one counts.

But the first impression of the Panthers -- at least their first-teamers -- couldn't have been much better Saturday night.

Scott Fowler: (704) 358-5140; sfowler@charlotteobserver.com.

742068[/snapback]

I think he`s right, Did you see how well our offensive line performed?.Its still THEE worst in the league by far for the 7th year in a row. Those big dumb goofballs couldn`t block a fat lady from going into pizza hut! The sky will fall again this year "real" early. Word to the wise "don`t get your hopes up to far this year............With absolutly no proven talent on offense, and our best players are the FG kicker and the punter "We`ll be lucky to duplicate last years record.........Sorry folks

I agree. Carolina is a unique animal because the team started while I was living here.

Slightly offtopic, but I'm a big Minnesota Wild fan, since they were formed while I was living here. I still love the Sabres, and root for them when the two play, but the Wild are my 1b team - I'd equate them to brother/sister rather than cousin, for me.