Rank Speculation

Mickey

I have a hard time with PLANNING on switching QB's during the season.  If it happens it happens but to have it built in as part of a master scheme is kinda foolish.

JP needs to start, if we get beat we get beat, he needs to take his lumps and grow with the rest of the offense, whether we as fans like it or not.  I hope that DJ won't be so easily swayed by public (OUR) opinion that he changes QB's because we're grumbling...because frankly we ALWAYS grumble.

We need to find out if our QB of the future is on the roster or not, starting Holcomb for any reason but injury damages that process.  In your scenario I'd rather them start NALL sight unseen for weeks 1 and 2, he's an unknown quantity as is JP, Holcomb is what he is and that's it.

And I'm quite sure that I'll piss off half the board when I say this (because for some reason we always have to have 2 QB camps) but if we start Holcomb we MIGHT win more games this season, but we'll delay our emergence as a quality contender by 1 season because if we somehow go 9-7 or something and make the playoffs what do we do In February?  If there's any result but a Super Bowl victory does Holcomb stay?  We're right back into the Bledsoe/Losman thing again.

Losman and/or Nall have to play this year.  have to.  If we stink we stink and we go get someone else whether it's Brady Quinn or a vet from another team.

740673[/snapback]

I understand the "if we stink, we stink" notion, that it is more important to resolve our QB situation than it is to win. Not sure I agree but I certainly understand the logic behind it. I have to ask though, how is it that different from what I brought up in this thread that was referred to as "a loser's mentality..."?

The simplified question has been, should we start the QB that gives us the best chance to win, even if that is KH or should we start JP regardless because we need to find out what he can do and give him game experience? Most on the board, and I say this after debating this over the last week or so in a number of threads, favor the latter. Start JP, regardless of whether he gives us the best chance to win. You see that position expressed in many ways such as "KH gives us the best chance of going 7-9 this year while JP gives us the best chance at the playoffs next year..." or "if we stink, we stink" etc.

Good arguments have been made on this issue, including yours, that winning a few games now is not as important as building a winner long term by giving JP the training he needs. If that is the overriding concern, then if the coaches think we are going to get our hats handed to us in weeks one and two, why not start KH then and let JP come off the bench to thunderous applause in week 3? The critique that this is a loser's mentality is correct, but no more of a loser mentality than the "if we stink, we stink" approach.

I just hate the idea of JP coming home in week 3 an 0-2 starter with the media raising the idea of starting KH at every turn. I don't want the coaches tempted to give KH a shot or JP looking over his shoulder wondering when the hook will come.

So many seem to think one reason we should play JP for 16 games regardless is because we are going to have a losing season anyway. Why not let KH be the doomed man looking over his shoulder?

Fact is, I'm pretty sure that even I don't agree with this but there is a logic to it that could put JP in the best position to succeed, long term.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JP needs to start and if the Bills are 0-2, we need to see his resolve. Does he bounce back and have a good game against the Jets, even though the fans will calling for his head. Let's see if he is our guy and the only way to do that is to play him throughout the season. If anything we bring Nall in, not KH. KH is a nice safe short throw, don't make the big mistake, 8-8, quarterback. We are not winning the SB this year, so lets evaluate our QB talent and see if we need to make moves this offseason. We are not too far away from being contenders, but the QB questions need to be answered. Changing QB's early in the season is not answer.

Everyone should enjoy watching KH start on Saturday.  It'll be his last start this year unless someone gets hurt.

740727[/snapback]

You are probably right on that, at least that we won't see JH start for awhile. I wonder though what would happen if JP arrived at week 3 for the jet game with a record of 0-2. I'd bet anything that the media would start questioning the coaches as to whether or not KH should get a shot.

You guys are spending a lot of time worrying about something that a) you can do nothing about and b) hasn't even happened yet. In short, you sound like women.

740812[/snapback]

No, we are football fans. People talk about the weather even though they can't do anything about it. They talk about the past, even though they can't do anything about it. They talk about current events from wars to leaking pipelines whether or not they can do anything about it. If we all only cared about what we can control, we wouldn't care about very much.

I wonder though what would happen if JP arrived at week 3 for the jet game with a record of 0-2.  I'd bet anything that the media would start questioning the coaches as to whether or not KH should get a shot.

740817[/snapback]

You wonder?? Of course the media would be all over it! They love controversy, makes for good headlines. Most fans would be screaming for his head as well. The question is, can JP overcome the criticism and be the QB we need him to be?

You guys are spending a lot of time worrying about something that a) you can do nothing about and b) hasn't even happened yet. In short, you sound like women.

740812[/snapback]

So apparently, your 484 posts here are also completely worthless. It's a message board. B-) Why even be a fan and talk sports if you cannot do anything about it? Why even talk about anything except last week's or last season's games (although, of course, you can't do anything about those either). It's self-evident we can do nothing about it and hasn't happened yet. It's also clearly one of the best things about sports, that it's the only true drama where no one knows the outcome, so it's fun to predict and bet and postulate. Every other form of entertainment everywhere is choreographed to some extent.

You wonder??  Of course the media would be all over it!  They love controversy, makes for good headlines.  Most fans would be screaming for his head as well.  The question is, can JP overcome the criticism and be the QB we need him to be?

740824[/snapback]

I don't want to see a repeat of last year, where JP is pulled after a 1-3 start with vets in the locker room pushing for a change. There are two ways to avoid that, JP starts and wins at least one of the first two or start KH and wait for him to prove he is not a starter which won't take long. Once you take the leap that winning now isn't as important as developing JP then it just becomes a question of what course offers the best chance to develop JP. I think an argument, given the opening schedule, can be made that the best way is to let Holcomb get run over in New England and Miami and then put in JP.

I'm not saying that it is what should be done. For me, I would start whoever I think gives us the best chance of winning and at this point, I think it is JP given the latest camp reports. At worst, it is a dead heat and JP wins ties.

At times like this I think back & wonder what Jim Kelly as a rookie would say if Bullough told him he was going to be benched for the first 2 games because they were hard games.  He would of told the coaching staff to F off. 

Losman, is the guy this year, time to find out what you have in the kid.  I say throw him against the wolves opening week in foxboro.  He has had 3 years to get it figured out.

740669[/snapback]

What do you do if he arrives home to play the Jets with an 0-2 record as a starter? Don't you think he will be looking over his shoulder no matter how many times the coaches say they are sticking with him? Losing can make people change their minds in a hurry.

What do you do if he arrives home to play the Jets with an 0-2 record as a starter?  Don't you think he will be looking over his shoulder no matter how many times the coaches say they are sticking with him?  Losing can make people change their minds in a hurry.

740843[/snapback]

No. I do not think JP is a child cowering in a closet.

I don't want to see a repeat of last year, where JP is pulled after a 1-3 start with vets in the locker room pushing for a change.  There are two ways to avoid that, JP starts and wins at least one of the first two or start KH and wait for him to prove he is not a starter which won't take long. 

740839[/snapback]

Or start KH & wait for him to get banged up. I think JP will end up playing no matter what. But if he wants to start Week 1, he'll have to seperate himself from KH. If he doesn't, DJ will be saying "It's seniority" again. Time for JP to start lighting it up.

Listen, buddy, as a female poster, I take exception to being called a whiner. Of course, I can't do anything about it...

740812[/snapback]

So apparently, your 484 posts here are also completely worthless. It's a message board.  :devil: Why even be a fan and talk sports if you cannot do anything about it? Why even talk about anything except last week's or last season's games (although, of course, you can't do anything about those either). It's self-evident we can do nothing about it and hasn't happened yet. It's also clearly one of the best things about sports, that it's the only true drama where no one knows the outcome, so it's fun to predict and bet and postulate. Every other form of entertainment everywhere is choreographed to some extent.

No, but you're spending an awful lot of time playing Chicken Little. Hell, we haven't even had the first preseason game yet. It's fine to postulate, it's another thing entirely to asume we're going to be 0-2. Why don't you at least wait until the preseason games before expounding on how horrible we are or will be.

No, but you're spending an awful lot of time playing Chicken Little. Hell, we haven't even had the first preseason game yet. It's fine to postulate, it's another thing entirely to asume we're going to be 0-2. Why don't you at least wait until the preseason games before expounding on how horrible we are or will be.

741097[/snapback]

I don't think we're going to be completely horrible or doomed.

Have you (Mickey) ever even considered what would happen if JP actually wins Week 1 @ New England of all places???

I'm sure it would do wonders for his (JP's) confidence and team moral. It can be the start of a story book season for the Bills.

If JP loses Week 1, it wouldn't really matter anyways because nobody expects the Bills to win. JP can still salvage his rep and the team's chances at a post-season birth with a win over Miami. Either way, we shouldn't think we will be 0 & 2 automatically.

If Buffalo starts off the season 1 & 1, who will be mad? I know I wouldn't be. Especially with our home opener on the horizan with a beatable NY Jet team.