Interesting...

Risin

A TELLING COMMENT: After seeing J.P. Losman have a tough day connecting with his receivers on deep passes, I asked Dick Jauron what is realistic to expect from the deep passing game even though they're not high-percentage plays. His response was very telling.

“You would love to get big plays out of the deep passing game,” said Jauron. “Maybe as important or almost as important is to stretch the defense and make them know that you will throw it. If they don’t think you’ll throw it then all of a sudden everything starts getting tighter and they clamp down on every throw underneath. Just putting it up over the top and taking that shot makes a defense play honest most of the game. You’ve got to have it.”

Those last five words said a lot to me. You at least have to have the threat of throwing deep. It reminded me of what happened to the Bills passing game last year. There was no threat of the deep pass which allowed opposing defenses to crowd up near the line of scrimmage. It not only hurt the effectiveness of the passing game, but it hurt Willis' ability to run the ball because the defense could gang up against the run. Losman may not almost connect on the deep ball, but he at least is a threat to connect on a big play.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/?blogger_id=1

Pretty telling comments from DJ.

Hope Scott Law doesn't slit his wrists, if the Bills make JP starter.

A TELLING COMMENT: After seeing J.P. Losman have a tough day connecting with his receivers on deep passes, I asked Dick Jauron what is realistic to expect from the deep passing game even though they're not high-percentage plays. His response was very telling.

“You would love to get big plays out of the deep passing game,” said Jauron. “Maybe as important or almost as important is to stretch the defense and make them know that you will throw it. If they don’t think you’ll throw it then all of a sudden everything starts getting tighter and they clamp down on every throw underneath. Just putting it up over the top and taking that shot makes a defense play honest most of the game. You’ve got to have it.”

Those last five words said a lot to me. You at least have to have the threat of throwing deep. It reminded me of what happened to the Bills passing game last year. There was no threat of the deep pass which allowed opposing defenses to crowd up near the line of scrimmage. It not only hurt the effectiveness of the passing game, but it hurt Willis' ability to run the ball because the defense could gang up against the run. Losman may not almost connect on the deep ball, but he at least is a threat to connect on a big play.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/?blogger_id=1

Pretty telling comments from DJ.

Hope Scott Law doesn't slit his wrists,  if the Bills make JP starter.

739420[/snapback]

Considering KH couldn't hit a long pass to save his life, really telling. Got to believe the long threat is why they're still holding out hope for Nall, though he looked worst of the three on long ball accuracy.

Considering KH couldn't hit a long pass to save his life, really telling.  Got to believe the long threat is why they're still holding out hope for Nall, though he looked worst of the three on long ball accuracy.

739428[/snapback]

I say no thanks to Nall.

Been to a couple of training camp practices this season, and he looked brutal.

Guy has career backup written all over him.

Think Mike McMahon, without the athletic ability.

If JP doesn't pan out (right now he plays like Mike McMahon), we need to find a suitable starter in free agency next season, or draft another QB to develop.

Yawn.

Next time add something to the conversation Ray.

At least what AJ1 said has some validity to it.

739459[/snapback]

Holcomb is a capable QB who can throw the ball deep if needed. He is a solid vertran back-up who has been thrust into a starters role because JP is worse than he is. Yet somehow the JP ball washers take offense to this and seem to want to blame Holcomb for it. It's not Holcomb's fault he has been the best QB on the roster and I find it rediculous that people blame him for it. You might want to point the finger in the other direction, namely at JP, if you have a beef.

Flame away.

Holcomb is a capable QB who can throw the ball deep if needed. He is a solid vertran back-up who has been thrust into a starters role because JP is worse than he is. Yet somehow the JP ball washers take offense to this and seem to want to blame Holcomb for it. It's not Holcomb's fault he has been the best QB on the roster and I find it rediculous that people blame him for it. You might want to point the finger in the other direction, namely at JP, if you have a beef.

Flame away.

739482[/snapback]

Not one poster is blaming Holcomb for JP sucking. Name one. Show one quote. I don't even see anyone hating Holcomb. I almost guarantee that everyone here that badmouths him as a player actually likes him as a guy. 90% of the fans here are glad he's on the team if he is a back-up. They hate his rag arm, not him. They don't like the way he plays, which means they hate the way he dumps the ball off and will not or cannot go downfield. That's a legitimate beef and a horrible limitation in your game because it affects the entire offense. It has nothing to do with JP sucking. Furthermore, no one, no one blames Holcomb for wanting to play, or for being in the game. They blame Mularkey and Satan for that last year, and to a degree Marv and Jauron now

Flame away.

739482[/snapback]

Great post, and thanks.

JP isn't worse then he is, and is proving that this training camp.

I don't hate Kelly Holcomb, I root for him whenever he is on the field. (I dislike his "ballwashers" mainly because they're annoying and redundant) ie:Scott Law and Holcombs Arm

I just hope he never starts another game for this organization.

BFD that JP couldn't complete any long passes today. He's EASILY been the better QB in that department, and as Jauron said, it's a requirement so that teams don't stack the box. This is ALSO an "uh-oh" when it comes to Holcomb's chances to win the starting job:

Kelly takes in camp

Jim Kelly was along the sidelines at Wednesday afternoon's practice and gave J.P. Losman a handshake and chest bump when Losman came over to say hello. Hear from Jim Kelly by clicking on Bills Roundup later today.

My favorite part is actually from what Chris posted earlier in the day

BRUSCHI'S WRIST: Well it looks like Bruschi is going to miss all of the Patriots preseason games and his status is uncertain for the opener against the Bills. Can't say I'd be disappointed if he couldn't play. Of course if he doesn't he'll be off brokering world peace somewhere and ESPN will have 10 minute updates on his progress.

:lol:

I say no thanks to Nall.

Been to a couple of training camp practices this season,  and he looked brutal.

Guy has career backup written all over him.

Think Mike McMahon,  without the athletic ability.

If JP doesn't pan out (right now he plays like Mike McMahon),  we need to find a suitable starter in free agency next season,  or draft another QB to develop.

739430[/snapback]

I hope JP plays well enough for us not to have to address the QB situation yet again. We have so many other holes to fill, we can't keep throwing resources into finding a QB without roster quality slipping elsewhere.