Lots of good stuff here...

eball

Saturday Notes

Edit: also note this paragraph --

Catch of the day

Roscoe Parrish however, made the catch of the day when while coming across the middle at full speed he stopped on a dime and twisted his torso to reach back behind him to pull in a pass over the middle with both hands from Kelly Holcomb and then got back up to full speed in about two strides.

Way to put it on the money, Kelly.

This job is JP's. I'm betting even the "disgruntled veterans" realize that by now.

Catch of the day

Roscoe Parrish however, made the catch of the day when while coming across the middle at full speed he stopped on a dime and twisted his torso to reach back behind him to pull in a pass over the middle with both hands from Kelly Holcomb and then got back up to full speed in about two strides.

I also like how that sounds!

Perhaps reading into things too much, but another sign that Losman is the guy and has always been the guy is that Chris Brown goes way out of his way to always praise Losman, and usually is extremely reluctant to give Holcomb kudos even when Kelly deserves it. This is not to say that Brown is right, and Losman is that much better or playing that much better. It is only to point out that he is writing for bills.com, and regardless of the nonsense he may spew about being non-partisan, and not being told by management what he can and can't say, I don't believe they would allow him to go on and on and on like he does, clearly ball-washing Losman if JP wasn't the man. I'm a Losman fan and I don't think he should be doing it.

Perhaps reading into things too much, but another sign that Losman is the guy and has always been the guy is that Chris Brown goes way out of his way to always praise Losman, and usually is extremely reluctant to give Holcomb kudos even when Kelly deserves it. This is not to say that Brown is right, and Losman is that much better or playing that much better. It is only to point out that he is writing for bills.com, and regardless of the nonsense he may spew about being non-partisan, and not being told by management what he can and can't say, I don't believe they would allow him to go on and on and on like he does, clearly ball-washing Losman if JP wasn't the man. I'm a Losman fan and I don't think he should be doing it.

736425[/snapback]

Good point -- and it's more proof that this really isn't a competition in the true sense of the word.

The front office knew from day one who the starter was going to be. There was only one clear choice. That's why you keep the 10 year backup around and bring in a young guy with size to give the fans the perception he's a real threat -- but let's face it, hamstring or no, Nall has career backup written all over him.

So they stacked the deck and made it "appear" to be a fair contest when in reality, there is only one real player. Then they get Brown to do some spin, and presto!

But, like you, I'm a JP guy so it doesn't bother me all that much.

Another interesting note:

"Holcomb got the first 10 snaps ... however, (Holcomb) seemed to have more running plays called when he was under center Saturday."

That's a minor thing sure, but still a clue as to what's going on.

Are you suggesting that Losman is the guy, and has been for a while?

In my oponion, Brown just wants Losman to be the guy so badly, he writes so positively about him, and bashes Holcomb when he has the chance.

As flea posted before, I believe Holcomb is the starting quarterback of the team, as him getting more reps suggest that.

736441[/snapback]

I think the first two are true. And I don't think that whoever is responsible for bills.com would let Brown get away with what he does if Losman wasn't the guy. Or do you really believe that bills.com is not a propaganda machine like 99% of all other official sites?

It appears that Holcomb got the majority of reps yesterday, and Losman got the majority of reps today. It has widely been reported that they have been split evenly up until now. They also will likely not change the order of things until they announce the starter, because suddenly the press and fans would make a big deal out of Losman suddenly getting the first snaps. And they also genuinely want him to win it in front of his teammates, which he will. Simply by doing what he does well, while considering his faults, stacked up against what Holcomb does well, while considering his faults.

Saturday Notes

Edit:  also note this paragraph --

Catch of the day

Way to put it on the money, Kelly.

This job is JP's.  I'm betting even the "disgruntled veterans" realize that by now.

736414[/snapback]

go JP! :doh:

Good point -- and it's more proof that this really isn't a competition in the true sense of the word.

The front office knew from day one who the starter was going to be. There was only one clear choice. That's why you keep the 10 year backup around and bring in a young guy with size to give the fans the perception he's a real threat -- but let's face it, hamstring or no, Nall has career backup written all over him.

So they stacked the deck and made it "appear" to be a fair contest when in reality, there is only one real player. Then they get Brown to do some spin, and presto! 

"Holcomb got the first 10 snaps ... however, (Holcomb) seemed to have more running plays called when he was under center Saturday."

736433[/snapback]

Seriously, I still don't understand why people on this board doesn't think JP should start. What good is having a 1st rounder on the sidelines and never find out if he can perform. It's a waste of time and money. We'd have to find out and move on with somebody else if he can't cut it. Everybody knows Kelly can play in this league because he's been here so long.

In my oponion, Brown just wants Losman to be the guy so badly, he writes so positively about him, and bashes Holcomb when he has the chance.

As flea posted before, I believe Holcomb is the starting quarterback of the team, as him getting more reps suggest that.

In the past Brown was much more biased towards Holcomb. He slowly started to change because he's more or less paid to tow the company line.

And yesteday was the first day I heard that Holcomb got more reps and I didn't hear that was the case today. One day does not a trend make.

736441[/snapback]

Yes. Any impartial observer can see the clues that lead to this conclusion. (IMHO)

The biggest reason: The organization (read: not just Donahoe) has too much invested in JP for him NOT to get the chance to fail or succeed. Levy, Ralph and Juron all know that 8 games does not give a QB enough time to learn. They also know that being "handed" the job last year left a sour taste in some fans' mouths.

So what do they do?

They make it clear in the press that it's a competition. They bring in another young QB (mind you, one who was thought so little of in GB that the draft gurus there used a first rounder 2 years ago on Rogers rather than continue to groom Nall to be Favre's replacement) to give the impression of competition. But in reality, they know that Nall has no real shot. Sure, he could be a diamond in the rough, and if so, all the better for the Bills. But the realistic possibilities of that were slim to none when they signed him. Levy knew it. Ralph knew it.

Now you have a three way contest between a 10 year vet with diminishing skills (a perfect backup) who no one really expects to win, a third string QB with good size and youth (but ZERO experience in this sort of offense -- that is a huge flag) and a first round pick with 8 games starting experience who they desperately need to succeed.

Now, do you really think this competition is 100 percent on the level?

I haven't heard anybody here talk about the pre-season games yet. (Just tons of definitve statements about who will start based on conjecture, or third or forth hand info). I will freely admit I am a JP fan, not just because of his stunning genius when talking to the press :doh: (that was for BlueFire - s/he? told me I have to use emoticons every post until s/he says stop). I understand the peripheral reasons JP should start: money, draft pick, future, not getting a chance because of coaches' CYA moves, etc., and I generally agree.

However, since it seems that coaches in general, and DJ in particular, always talk about these games as real determining factors. My guess is that nothing that has been said so far in favor or against these three guys is going to matter much when the game starts next Saturday.

For my part, I will wait until I see the entire game on NFL Network(ha! wanted to get that in there :( ) and see what happens. I hope JP is the guy that starts.

However, my guess is that we will see Holcomb though - not because he is better, but, like practice today, they will want to run the ball and test WM and the starting O line first. Either way it's good to see that the O is able to bounce back from a bad day.

736433[/snapback]

I am a Losman guy too...in that I want him to start the first 8-10 games this year and if he is still horrible than what the heck ;et Nall finish it off. I want JP to have his shot this year. Unforunatley with the lack of very good OL and WR talent it may be that even a good QB will look bad on this team

I hope I am wrong. Go Bills!

This job is JP's.  I'm betting even the "disgruntled veterans" realize that by now.

736414[/snapback]

Yeah, because the guys who actually do this for a living know far less than you or I...

736433[/snapback]

Kelly Holcomb may go down as one of the greatest hand-off quarterbacks in the history of the game.

This is almost a complete flip plop of the practice on Friday where Losman had a lot of running plays and few pass attempts.

Seriously, I still don't understand why people on this board doesn't think JP should start.  What good is having a 1st rounder on the sidelines and never find out if he can perform.  It's a waste of time and money.  We'd have to find out and move on with somebody else if he can't cut it.  Everybody knows Kelly can play in this league because he's been here so long.

736459[/snapback]

I'd say 80% or more here think JP should start, including those who aren't "JP guys" such as myself.

I mean come on - there is like 1 thread in the last 2 weeks saying KH should start. This thread is 1 of many and it exists because he threw 1 inaccurate pass :D