Lionel Gates

ajzepp

"Second-year running back Lionel Gates turned several heads with his work on the ground, making himself a realistic threat to be among the regular faces in the backfield."

Yeah baby!! Go Lionel Go!

frm this article

He was in a very, very crowded backfield his senior year but was great when he entered games. Hopefully he turns out to be a steal.

Eric Shelton, one of the guys ahead of him at U of L, is apparently coming back strong from injury and turning heads in Panthers camp.

Michael Bush was also in the same backfield and has been as high as number 2 in some of the 2007 mock drafts.

He was in a very, very crowded backfield his senior year but was great when he entered games.  Hopefully he turns out to be a steal.

Eric Shelton, one of the guys ahead of him at U of L, is apparently coming back strong from injury and turning heads in Panthers camp.

Michael Bush was also in the same backfield and has been as high as number 2 in some of the 2007 mock drafts.

735680[/snapback]

I just have a good feeling about the guy....I think he's gonna be a player for us.

He was in a very, very crowded backfield his senior year but was great when he entered games.  Hopefully he turns out to be a steal.

735680[/snapback]

Thanks for the Shelton update. I hadn't realized he was injured.

It sounds like he has good speed, which is probably the one thing keeping Shaud on the team. If Gates can show enough speed in the preseason, he would probably bump Shaud off the roster since it sounds like Gates can also play a mean special teams.

I'd be a little surprised if Gates can push A-Train off the roster, but I think he could push for some of the limited back-up playing time. I think Burns is definitely on borrowed time. I hear Shuad hs looked pretty quick too.

I'd be a little surprised if Gates can push A-Train off the roster, but I think he could push for some of the limited back-up playing time.  I think Burns is definitely on borrowed time.  I hear Shuad hs looked pretty quick too.

735882[/snapback]

Here's the reason...Anthony Thomas was brought here to be the #2 back. If Lionel Gates impresses in the preseason and Shaud Williams keeps it up, I can't see them hanging onto Thomas. It just wouldn't make sense.

It sounds like he has good speed, which is probably the one thing keeping Shaud on the team. If Gates can show enough speed in the preseason, he would probably bump Shaud off the roster since it sounds like Gates can also play a mean special teams.

735855[/snapback]

I wrote e-mail after e-mail to Mularkey last year on the bb.com feature asking why Gates never was activated. He answered me (or someone else asking the same question) finally and said it was because he can't play special teams. They can't waste a gameday spot on a guy who can't play ST. That's why Burns and Williams probably have a leg up on him.

In terms of being a pure RB, I think Gates could be the second best back on the team.

Here's the reason...Anthony Thomas was brought here to be the #2 back.  If Lionel Gates impresses in the preseason and Shaud Williams keeps it up, I can't see them hanging onto Thomas.  It just wouldn't make sense.

735909[/snapback]

i agree. olandis gary type v. 2.0

Every year we hear about how good Lionel does in training camp and every year he ends up 3rd string.

He deserves a chance to at least get some real game reps, it's about time.

736031[/snapback]

I agree that he needs some more reps, but this is only his second year bro.

I agree that he needs some more reps, but this is only his second year bro.

736034[/snapback]

Oh wow dude, I totally forgot this was only his 2nd year. Sometimes and this may sound totally weird I get Madden and reality mixed up. I'm in year 2008 of franchise mode with the Bills.

I swear I'm a devoted fan but I also get "maddenized" and totally lose track of reality.

:lol:

Oh wow dude, I totally forgot this was only his 2nd year.  Sometimes and this may sound totally weird I get Madden and reality mixed up.  I'm in year 2008 of franchise mode with the Bills.

I swear I'm a devoted fan but I also get "maddenized" and totally lose track of reality.

:lol:

736035[/snapback]

LOL, that's pretty funny

Here's the reason...Anthony Thomas was brought here to be the #2 back.  If Lionel Gates impresses in the preseason and Shaud Williams keeps it up, I can't see them hanging onto Thomas.  It just wouldn't make sense.

735909[/snapback]

The mentions above of the import of ST contibutionis is a factor that could have this make sense. This thread got me looking at some of the player stats and history and I was actually surprised to find that A-Train had only payed 5 year. Thus, in my mind he is not to old of player to have changed his game a bit when he fell down from being a #1 RB and is young enough that he could learn to make an ST contribution (but yet has enough vet experience that he does things like stay in his lane on coverage)

A look at the salary picture shows that while Thomas draws more than the vet minimum $455K cap hit ), and that much more than Gates earned from his draftee contract ($308 K) or more important what Shaud Williams hit is ($425K) that salary savings make much of a difference at all (particularly given our cap level).

I think folks focus too heavily on what theoretical role they assume a player was brought in for as a field player when what really needs to be taken into account particularly with much of the 2nd stringers and all the 3rd stringers is what contribution to they make on gameday from ST.

Let's assume (a big assumption) that the way this works out in the coaches minds is that Gates is a far better runner and easily the #2 running talent on the team. Shaud Williams though is clearly the better 3rd down talent but is not the runner Gates is.

A Train on the other hand gets judged a lesser runner than Gates AND a lesser 3rd down threat than Williams. On the other hand he falls right in the middle being a better runner than Williams and a better checkdown guy on 3rd down than Gates.

Would it make since to cut an A-Train in this situation because he clearly is not the back-up runner to WM because Gates is better and clearly not the back-up checkdown guy to WM because Williams is better.

Maybe, but a calculation by the braintrust of what these players contribution on ST may be actually determines who gets cut.

Our plan and hope is that WM lucks out on injury so we never have to go to a back-up on 3rd down or to play the Marshall Faulk checkdown role in our O except to give WM the occaisional blow caused he is tired or was nicked in a game.

Where this player is actually gonna contribute to the team week in and week out is on ST rather than sitting on the bench just in case.

Who knows how hypothetical this is and even if it were real what the outcome will be (though given the problems MM said in an e-mail the rookie Gates had with ST contribution last year and given that Thomas is old enough to know what he is doing and not too old to contribute it could well be that he wins an ST battle.

It not only makes sense that one might keep a Thomas but actually he may have a leg up in this based on years in the NFL and assessment of Gates ST play last year.

We will see.