Can we send them back?

You travel to a country that hates the US and has elected terrorists to govern it, and have the nerve to complain that the US Government evacuated you too slowly! I would be willing to bet a lot of these people are huge critics of the Government...but demand the most help from it. I have a great idea, don't travel to the middle east if you are looking to avoid trouble. Why should lives be risked to evacuate you if you chose to travel to a terrorist nation? It would be different if somebody was kidnapped and taken to Lebanon, but these people chose not to avoid the situation.

On a side note, Nancy Pelosi is outraged that the evacuees were going to be charged for their rides home. This policy was enacted in the 2003 Foreign Relations Authorization Act which Pelosi voted for! But hey, it's a chance for her to take a jab at the President.

On a side note, Nancy Pelosi is outraged that the evacuees were going to be charged for their rides home.  This policy was enacted in the 2003 Foreign Relations Authorization Act which Pelosi voted for!  But hey, it's a chance for her to take a jab at the President.

725228[/snapback]

People are not supposed to remember back that far or actually hold their elected officials accountable for their votes. Haven't you learned that yet?

Nothing to see here...Move along...

People are not supposed to remember back that far or actually hold their elected officials accountable for their votes. Haven't you learned that yet?

Nothing to see here...Move along...

725231[/snapback]

"I voted for it after I voted against it."

Sorry wrong Democrat. :P

You travel to a country that hates the US and has elected terrorists to govern it, and have the nerve to complain that the US Government evacuated you too slowly!  I would be willing to bet a lot of these people are huge critics of the Government...but demand the most help from it.  I have a great idea, don't travel to the middle east if you are looking to avoid trouble.  Why should lives be risked to evacuate you if you chose to travel to a terrorist nation?  It would be different if somebody was kidnapped and taken to Lebanon, but these people chose not to avoid the situation. 

On a side note, Nancy Pelosi is outraged that the evacuees were going to be charged for their rides home.  This policy was enacted in the 2003 Foreign Relations Authorization Act which Pelosi voted for!  But hey, it's a chance for her to take a jab at the President.

725228[/snapback]

are you talking about Lebanon? Palestine elected Hamas to govern it, but Lebanon's prime minister is a christian. AS for the complaining, I saw something on the news yesterday that the Americans were frustrated because they saw many other governments getting their people out quicker. Also, I'd venture to say that most of the Americans there are working for corporations, not "travellers to the Middle East".

are you talking about Lebanon?  Palestine elected Hamas to govern it, but Lebanon's prime minister is a christian.  AS for the complaining, I saw something  on the news yesterday that the Americans were frustrated because they saw many other governments getting their people out quicker.  Also, I'd venture to say that most of the Americans there are working for corporations, not "travellers to the Middle East".

725291[/snapback]

I believe lebanon voted Hezbolla into some part of the Government. I could be wrong. If you are working in Lebanon you still chose to go there. Last I knew your employer can't force you to relocate at gunpoint. I have no problem with our Government taking their time getting people out of an enemy country that supports terrorists. If you support our enemies, don't expect us to fall all over ourselves to rescue you.

Here's the link about the 25.000 americans in lebanon.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/18/...=cnn_topstories

725364[/snapback]

""These operations are taking place in a war zone," Barbero said. "They involve passage through a strict blockade and are limited by the capacity of the ports and the degraded infrastructure in Lebanon." "

And it doesn't help that Israel cratered the runways at the airport.

I also liked the Katrina reference. What Katrina SHOULD have tought is is that it's a non-trivial matter to move tens of thousands of people over a shattered infrastructure. Instead, now that we have to once again move tens of thousands of people over a shattered infrastructure, the lesson people are taking from it is: "It's a trivial matter, the government is just lazy."

""These operations are taking place in a war zone," Barbero said. "They involve passage through a strict blockade and are limited by the capacity of the ports and the degraded infrastructure in Lebanon." "

I also liked the Katrina reference.  What Katrina SHOULD have tought is is that it's a non-trivial matter to move tens of thousands of people over a shattered infrastructure.  Instead, now that we have to once again move tens of thousands of people over a shattered infrastructure, the lesson people are taking from it is: "It's a trivial matter, the government is just lazy."

725367[/snapback]

No kidding. The dorks on the cable news channels were already congratulating themselves for doing such a great job on Katrina a couple days into the disaster, right before it turned out most of what they were reporting was wrong. Why be surprised that they still aren't getting the story correct?

That's awesome that Barbaro is helping out with the evacuation. You'd think he'd have too much going on with his leg problems to contribute. That's one brave horse.

I also liked the Katrina reference.  What Katrina SHOULD have tought is is that it's a non-trivial matter to move tens of thousands of people over a shattered infrastructure.  Instead, now that we have to once again move tens of thousands of people over a shattered infrastructure, the lesson people are taking from it is: "It's a trivial matter, the government is just lazy."

725367[/snapback]

It is funny that CNN doesn't mention that Pelosi voted for the bill that required these "poor trapped victims" to pay for transportation out of Lebanon. If you ignore the Govenment's repeated warnings for the last several years about traveling to Lebanon, what makes you think you should be such a priotity in that same Government's agenda? You were told not to go, now live with the consequences.

It is funny that CNN doesn't mention that Pelosi voted for the bill that required these "poor trapped victims" to pay for transportation out of Lebanon.  If you ignore the Govenment's repeated warnings for the last several years about traveling to Lebanon, what makes you think you should be such a priotity in that same Government's agenda?  You were told not to go, now live with the consequences.

725389[/snapback]

According to the article, it was a 1956 law. You mentioned she voted for it in 2003 but don't provide a link. ???

Israel 'A Mistake'?

Liberal Washington Post columnist Richard Cohen wrote Tuesday that the "greatest mistake Israel could make at the moment is to forget that Israel itself is a mistake." Cohen blames the creation of Israel for a century of warfare in the Middle East, including the present conflict.

And while he says there's "no point in condemning Hezbollah... [or] Hamas," Cohen argues that Israel should exercise restraint — writing that retaking Lebanon and Gaza would lead to world condemnation of "the inevitable sins of an occupying power." His solution?

Cohen says Israel should pull back, withdraw from the West Bank, and accept terrorism and rocket attacks, while "waiting (and hoping) that history will get distracted and move on to something else," adding, "It is best for Israel to hunker down."

This guy needs to be re-educated.

You travel to a country that hates the US and has elected terrorists to govern it, and have the nerve to complain that the US Government evacuated you too slowly!  I would be willing to bet a lot of these people are huge critics of the Government...but demand the most help from it.  I have a great idea, don't travel to the middle east if you are looking to avoid trouble.  Why should lives be risked to evacuate you if you chose to travel to a terrorist nation?  It would be different if somebody was kidnapped and taken to Lebanon, but these people chose not to avoid the situation. 

725228[/snapback]

Because some people went and visit their family members. I have a lot of friends who are born in Lebanon who have family stuck there. There are 50 000 Canadians stuck there at the moment.

725228[/snapback]

It couldn't be that any of these people are Scientists, Researchers, Media, Family Members, and other such people, eh?

Nah, couldn't be. Anyone over in the Middle East is a bunch of America-hating bastards that need to be blown up.

Here's the address.link

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,204278,00.html

725488[/snapback]

Actually, the 2003 act states:

Section 4(b)(2)(A) of the State Department Basic Authorities Act of 1956 (22 U.S.C. 2671(b)(2)(A)) is amended to read as follows:

‘‘(A) the evacuation when their lives are endangered by war, civil unrest, or natural disaster of 
   (i) United States Government employees and their dependents, and 
   (ii) private United States citizens or third-country nationals, on a reimbursable basis to the extent feasible, with such reimbursements to be credited to the applicable Department of State appropriation and to remain available until expended.  No reimbursement shall be required which is greater than the amount the person evacuated would have been charged for a commercial air fare at the lowest rate available immediately prior to the onset of the war, civil unrest, or natural disaster giving rise to the evacuation.’’.

The amended portion of the 1956 act says:

(A) the evacuation when their lives are endangered by war, civil 
   unrest, or natural disaster of--
           (i) United States Government employees and their dependents; 
       and
           (ii) private United States citizens or third-country 
       nationals, on a reimbursable basis to the maximum extent 
       practicable, with such reimbursements to be credited to the 
       applicable Department of State appropriation and to remain 
       available until expended, except that no reimbursement under 
       this clause shall be paid that is greater than the amount the 
       person evacuated would have been charged for a reasonable 
       commercial air fare immediately prior to the events giving rise 
       to the evacuation;

Italics mine, to illustrate the fact that

1) Pelosi voted for a bill of which a minor part was changing FIVE WORDS in the State Department Basic Authorities Act of 1956 that established the requirements of reimbursement, and

2) FoxSnooze is garbage. It took me twenty minutes to figure out precisely what Pelosi did and did not vote for, 15 of which was spent trying to navigate the GPO's site to find the text of the 1956 act. Fox either accidentally skimped on their research because they're !@#$ing idiots, or purposely did because they're conservatives. Or quite possibly both.