Once and for all...

Dear Meazza,

Your comments on the World Cup have kept me as entertained as the tournament itself - but in the aftermath of Italy's celebrations, I wanted to make the following observations:

1. Congratulations to Italy on winning the World Cup Final. They played a superb semi-final game and improved throughout the tournament.

2. Rooney did NOT intentionally stamp on Carvalho. Watch the tape, he was CLEARLY steadying himself after a period of ragged challenges and fighting to get the ball. He was NOT sent off for a stamp until Ronaldo got in the refs fance and Rooney shoved him the ref was signalling a free kick. No NOT listen to the FIFA Spin.

3. Sepp Blatter is a f*cking arsewipe. His comments about specific teams and players throughout the WC have been a disgrace to football and completely unprofessional. FIFA should be diplomats above all else - calling out teams like England for 'boring' play serve only to underline the very obvious personal vendetta he has against certain national football associations/teams. Additionally - he should not praise teams such as Portugal given their actions set out in 4.

4. Soccer players are dispicable cheats. Never before have I witnessed an international sporting competition so completely undermined by thuggish behavious on the field, diving untouched, play acting, and abusing referees/officials to gain an advantage. My overriding memory of this world cup will be of cheats. Football must wipe out this behaviour immediately.

5. Zizou. Materazzi. If it comes to light that Materazzi DID say something that essentially boils down to racism, he deserves as big a sanction as Zidane. YES Zidane acted like a mindless thug and deservedly got sent off, but if the remark made was of an essentially racist nature, then there needs to be punishment for the italian.

6. Racism. The Zizou incident has only served to underline the fact that soccer in some european countries still is built on a bedrock of racism and hatred. Italy and Spain have leagues where black players are routinely abused from the terraces for the colour of their skin. When the English had a similar problem we were banned from international competition. If the racism continues in other countries, they too should be banned from international competition, or TV networks should just pull their soccer coverage. It is totally unacceptable.

7. Match fixing. Italy have won the world cup. Is it just me that thinks the Serie A debacle casts a cloud of doubt about the legality of the Italy victory - whether this is a well founded doubt or not, the country and the team are stained. The judge MUST put the harshest penalty on the teams involved. A WC win must not dilute their punishment.

8. How good is real football? The WC served to show me that while I am fiercely patriotic when England play (at any sport) I quickly got bored with the other games. I'm playing my Football season here, and it's closer than ever and I know for sure that Football is the GREATEST game in the world. Be it London Blitz, Buffalo Bills, or any other NFL team, I would take Football ANY DAY over any other sport. Roll on Training camp.

Nick

I agree with you Nick. Number 4 on your list is what i noticed most about this WC. My wife has been turned off International Soccer because of the blatant diving and abuses. She even started calling Figo from Portugal Falldown Figo.

FIFA needs to try and put a stop to the theatrics. They cheapen the sport. Frances PK in the final was a good example of a dive that could have cost a team the WC.

Dear Meazza,

Your comments on the World Cup have kept me as entertained as the tournament itself - but in the aftermath of Italy's celebrations, I wanted to make the following observations:

1. Congratulations to Italy on winning the World Cup Final.  They played a superb semi-final game and improved throughout the tournament.

2. Rooney did NOT intentionally stamp on Carvalho. Watch the tape, he was CLEARLY steadying himself after a period of ragged challenges and fighting to get the ball.  He was NOT sent off for a stamp until Ronaldo got in the refs fance and Rooney shoved him the ref was signalling a free kick.  No NOT listen to the FIFA Spin.

3. Sepp Blatter is a f*cking arsewipe. His comments about specific teams and players throughout the WC have been a disgrace to football and completely unprofessional.  FIFA should be diplomats above all else - calling out teams like England for 'boring' play serve only to underline the very obvious personal vendetta he has against certain national football associations/teams. Additionally - he should not praise teams such as Portugal given their actions set out in 4.

4. Soccer players are dispicable cheats.  Never before have I witnessed an international sporting competition so completely undermined by thuggish behavious on the field, diving untouched, play acting, and abusing referees/officials to gain an advantage.  My overriding memory of this world cup will be of cheats.  Football must wipe out this behaviour immediately.

5. Zizou.  Materazzi.  If it comes to light that Materazzi DID say something that essentially boils down to racism, he deserves as big a sanction as Zidane.  YES Zidane acted like a mindless thug and deservedly got sent off, but if the remark made was of an essentially racist nature, then there needs to be punishment for the italian.

6.  Racism. The Zizou incident has only served to underline the fact that soccer in some european countries still is built on a bedrock of racism and hatred.  Italy and Spain have leagues where black players are routinely abused from the terraces for the colour of their skin.  When the English had a similar problem we were banned from international competition.  If the racism continues in other countries, they too should be banned from international competition, or TV networks should just pull their soccer coverage. It is totally unacceptable.

7. Match fixing.  Italy have won the world cup.  Is it just me that thinks the Serie A debacle casts a cloud of doubt about the legality of the Italy victory - whether this is a well founded doubt or not, the country and the team are stained.  The judge MUST put the harshest penalty on the teams involved. A WC win must not dilute their punishment.

8.  How good is real football?  The WC served to show me that while I am fiercely patriotic when England play (at any sport) I quickly got bored with the other games.  I'm playing my Football season here, and it's closer than ever and I know for sure that Football is the GREATEST game in the world. Be it London Blitz, Buffalo Bills, or any other NFL team, I would take Football ANY DAY over any other sport.    Roll on Training camp.

Nick

721165[/snapback]

What is this "World Cup" of which you speak? :w00t:

Nick

I regularily read Mr. Katcher's blog and find it interesting. He's a huge sports nut. It was interesting to see him go from complete distain from the first game (actually forcing himself to watch the first US game) to his final comments about the World Cup. It was nice to see an honest opinion and his candid comments from an "outsider" are interesting for me to hear as someone who still plays soccer and has played since I was child. The perspective is interesting.

http://www.paulkatcher.com/

The same Frenchmen who today is whining about this World Cup "incident" and is all "offended" will be on the sidelines of the Tour de France tomorrow calling Americans Leipheimer, Landis and Hincapie such vile things, it will make what Materazzi said look like something that came from the mouths of babes.

8.  How good is real football?  The WC served to show me that while I am fiercely patriotic when England play (at any sport) I quickly got bored with the other games.  I'm playing my Football season here, and it's closer than ever and I know for sure that Football is the GREATEST game in the world. Be it London Blitz, Buffalo Bills, or any other NFL team, I would take Football ANY DAY over any other sport.    Roll on Training camp.

721165[/snapback]

Right on, Nick. Thank you for having the courage to say that, as none of us Americans are allowed to opine that soccer is patently boring when compared to the plethora of TV sports we have to choose from.

I regularily read Mr. Katcher's blog and find it interesting. He's a huge sports nut. It was interesting to see him go from complete distain from the first game (actually forcing himself to watch the first US game) to his final comments about the World Cup. It was nice to see an honest opinion and his candid comments from an "outsider" are interesting for me to hear as someone who still plays soccer and has played since I was child. The perspective is interesting.

http://www.paulkatcher.com/

721490[/snapback]

That's a pretty interesting piece....and I'm sure that for every person who watched and didn't care for it, there is a guy like this who got caught up in it and found out that there's something there for him.

I miss the WC, too :w00t:

Bravo for #7. I had the same thoughts. How can anyone say the Italian victory is clean when their own leagues are rife with corruption? People complain about officials in every sport, but there has not been a similar scandal in American sport since the 1919 "Black Sox" that rigged the baseball World Series.

PTR

Bravo for #7.  I had the same thoughts.  How can anyone say the Italian victory is clean when their own leagues are rife with corruption?  People complain about officials in every sport, but there has not been a similar scandal in American sport since the 1919 "Black Sox" that rigged the baseball World Series. 

PTR

721518[/snapback]

What about steroids?

Bravo for #7.  I had the same thoughts.  How can anyone say the Italian victory is clean when their own leagues are rife with corruption?  People complain about officials in every sport, but there has not been a similar scandal in American sport since the 1919 "Black Sox" that rigged the baseball World Series. 

PTR

721518[/snapback]

If you're going to criticize the players involved in the scandal, think of it this way. A good percentage of the players that played in this world cup have played once in their lifetime for some of the teams involved in the Calciopalo scandal (Players from France, Ghana, etc). It's not only the Italians.

The management is the main reason, and that is why most of the managers and owners involved are banned from Serie A.

If you're going to criticize the players involved in the scandal, think of it this way.  A good percentage of the players that played in this world cup have played once in their lifetime for some of the teams involved in the Calciopalo scandal (Players from France, Ghana, etc).  It's not only the Italians.

The management is the main reason, and that is why  most of the managers and owners involved are banned from Serie A.

721606[/snapback]

You make my point on how soccer scandals are commonplace. At least USA sports leagues look clean.

PTR

I loved watching Rooney play. Him and Christiano Ronaldo are my favorite players to watch(that is when Ronaldo is not crying, flailing on the ground). Is Ronaldo going back to ManU? Ronaldo and Rooney together for years would be fantastic!

Ronaldo and Rooney together for years would be fantastic!

721719[/snapback]

That's for sure....they're both like what, 21??

The same Frenchmen who today is whining about this World Cup "incident" and is all "offended" will be on the sidelines of the Tour de France tomorrow calling Americans Leipheimer, Landis and Hincapie such vile things, it will make what Materazzi said look like something that came from the mouths of babes.

721499[/snapback]

you're perfectly right! that's why i do not follow international soccer (clubs play better soccer anyway) or international events like the Tour, the Olympic Games or tennis, the nationalism involved, the media chest thumping, at least here in france makes me sick.

I loved watching Rooney play.  Him and Christiano Ronaldo are my favorite players to watch(that is when Ronaldo is not crying, flailing on the ground).  Is Ronaldo going back to ManU?  Ronaldo and Rooney together for years would be fantastic!

721719[/snapback]

No - Ronaldos actions in thw WC have effectively burned his bridges at Man U. He is headed to play at Real Madrid...

Ruud Van Nistelrooy - who has clashed with Ronaldo on the Man U training pitch - is also due to leave Man U, he too is rumoured to land at Real... Could be interesting.

And speaking of Real - Beckham. How much do you want to bet that Ronaldo takes Becks place at Real??

No - Ronaldos actions in thw WC have effectively burned his bridges at Man U.  He is headed to play at Real Madrid...

721892[/snapback]

No WAY, lol.....I can't believe they actually got rid of him for that. How does that work? Did they trade him, or just sell his rights?

No - Ronaldos actions in thw WC have effectively burned his bridges at Man U.  He is headed to play at Real Madrid...

Ruud Van Nistelrooy - who has clashed with Ronaldo on the Man U training pitch - is also due to leave Man U, he too is rumoured to land at Real... Could be interesting.

And speaking of Real - Beckham. How much do you want to bet that Ronaldo takes Becks place at Real??

721892[/snapback]

Capello has publically stated that he doesn't want Ronaldo. That team is going for a massive cleanup. He's trying to get Cannavaro, Zambrotta and Emerson to move to Real Madrid as well.

Screw Capello. If there was one person i hate the most in soccer, it's that traitor.

Here's a quote from Zidane today.

"I do apologise but I don't regret my behaviour because regretting it would mean he was right to say what he said."

That is some back assward thinking.

Here's a quote from Zidane today.

"I do apologise but I don't regret my behaviour because regretting it would mean he was right to say what he said."

That is some back assward thinking.

722024[/snapback]

Zidane came out today and said that Matrix made fun of his mother and sister. If there was a smilie for this, it would be me playing the worlds smallest violin.