Looking for Mr. Bills Bar

I am researching an article for The Buffalo News on Bills bars around the country and around the world (excluding Western New York, Southern Ontario and points nearby).

I would love to hear recommendations from anyone. I'm looking for stories about places where Buffalo expatriates and other Bills fans gather to watch the games on Sunday, eat some wings and drink a little beer, reminisce, sing some old songs, and did I mention drinking beer?

Feel free to post replies here on the board, or if you'd be willing to send me a phone number for a follow-up call, please drop me an e-mail to: gconnors@buffnews.com.

Thanks for your guidance.

Greg Connors

Buffalo News

I am researching an article for The Buffalo News on Bills bars around the country and around the world (excluding Western New York, Southern Ontario and points nearby).

I would love to hear recommendations from anyone. I'm looking for stories about places where Buffalo expatriates and other Bills fans gather to watch the games on Sunday, eat some wings and drink a little beer, reminisce, sing some old songs, and did I mention drinking beer?

Feel free to post replies here on the board, or if you'd be willing to send me a phone number for a follow-up call, please drop me an e-mail to: gconnors@buffnews.com.

Greg Connors

Buffalo News

721124[/snapback]

The Boston Bills Backers inhabit a place called The Harp. It's on Causeway St., directly across from what used to be the Fleet Center. (now TD BankNorth Garden) Several hundred fans per game. JCBoston is one of the managers of the Boston Bills Backers. http://www.bostonbillsbackers.com/ or send a PM to "JCBoston"

PTR

P.S....tell Jerry Sullivan he's a douchebag.

Ah the Harp. Good beer, good food, good people on fall Sundays and one funny memory.

Several years back, the Fleet Center was in its first year of hosting the Bruins, approx 1996. The FleetCenter is across the street from the Harp.

I can’t remember who we were playing but it was a one o’clock start and the Bruins had a early evening game home at the FleetCenter.

The Bill’s game was into the second half. A group of 4 Bruins fans, I could tell by the oversized shirts with a large B, walked into the bar. I was sitting on the other side of the room with my family but I could see the front door. The four Bruins fans took a couple of steps into the bar and stop. There heads all turning side to side and looking at each other. I could see them exchange a few comments but I couldn’t expect to hear them. I didn’t need to be in hearing distance I could guess what they said. “I know they tore down the Boston Garden, but when the he!! are we? Aren’t the Pats on? These people are wearing red, white and blue jerseys but they look different.” They regrouped and went up to the bartender. “Are we still in Boston and are the Patriots on?” The bartender points to the small TV in the corner. They get four beers, shuffle off to the corner and continually look around the room when the ball wasn’t in play.

I now live in Hawaii and there are no Bills specific bars. The bar with the highest number of Bills fans I have found is Board Rides in Kailua. It is defiantly different to get up at 6 AM to be in your seat with a beer for a 7 AM kick off.

Just speaking for some of the Cal locations, in SFO you can't beat the North Star: Moose McGillicuddys in Old Town Pasadena is home of the Los Angeles Bill's Backers; and this season in Santa Monica you can join Kelly the Dog and myself with "guest appearances" each Sunday from other TBD alumni plus a wide array of Bill's fans at Busby's located at Berkely and Santa Monica Blvd. in Santa Monica.

Jimmy's Old Town Tavern in Herndon, VA. Simply the best atmosphere to watch a Bills or Sabres Game outside of Buffalo. Jimmy Cerreto (sp?) high fives all patrons after each score and plays great Bills music during commercial breaks. Even when the Bills lose, you go home feeling you had a good time which happens more and more each year @$^&*(%#!!!!!. :w00t:.

Greg Connors

Buffalo News

721124[/snapback]

Greg

Cool idea for those of us who travel. I sent you an email regarding the Philadelphia club.

best Bills bar is in New York City

MacFaddens 2nd Ave and 42nd St

Massive crowds for every game, I travel to NYC every year just see watch a game there with these great fans.

More details on the NYC Bills backers site..

McFaddens in NYC. Its our little Buffalo. Check it out www.nycbbb.com.

So far we have gotten them to get Labatt's on tap and have Sahlen's hot dogs with Weber's Mustard.

The place is packed with Buffalo ex-pats. Its the only game they show on Sundays, with sound. We also did the Marv Levy book signing at McFaddens, they put the Comeback on all the TVs.

Finally, in true little Buffalo style the owner said last year that we drank more beer and booze for the Sunday opener than he sold Fri and Sat nite combined (and the place is usually very busy!!).

Some 15 years ago I and 2 other WNYers were in need of a decent Bills Bar in San Francisco after the old Kezar Club closed. We convinced the owners of what was then a small 'dive bar' in North Beach that people could go to any bar in EssEff to watch the 49ers, but we'd guarantee that displaced Bills fans would come from near and far to fill the establishment if he'd agree to show the Bills games.

The only 'catch' was that one of us had to open the place at 9:30 AM every Sunday morning and tend the bar - the Bills games start at 10 AM out there, and none of the regular bartenders would come in 'til noon.

The rest is history.

"The North Star - in the Italian section of Chinatown!"

It's where Russert (and everyone else) goes to watch the Bills when in San Francisco.

North Star Cafe/San Francisco Bay Area Bills Backers

It's where Russert (and everyone else) goes to watch the Bills when in San Francisco.

722468[/snapback]

He also stopped by McFaddens.

Maybe Russert can be used as the mapping guide. Whatever places he visits while out of town, is the place to be for ex-pat Bills fans.

I have never been to any other Bills bar to watch a game, but I still cant see how any of them can surpass the level of production that takes place at McFadden's. The only way I can describe it is that it is like a swarm of Bills fans (true believers, women, neophytes, and people you wouldn't think of being Bills fans) and McFadden's the hive.

Sunday's at McFadden's is just one of the reasons I am looking forward to the start of the football season.

He also stopped by McFaddens.

Maybe Russert can be used as the mapping guide.  Whatever places he visits while out of town, is the place to be for ex-pat Bills fans.

722470[/snapback]

I'm sure Tim would love that. Maybe we can create an icon in his likeness to rate the various out-of-town Bills Bars - much like The Beast does with Tom Sartori (but in a non-pejorative way)...

The Beast

Some 15 years ago I and 2 other WNYers were in need of a decent Bills Bar in San Francisco after the old Kezar Club closed. We convinced the owners of what was then a small 'dive bar' in North Beach that people could go to any bar in EssEff to watch the 49ers, but we'd guarantee that displaced Bills fans would come from near and far to fill the establishment if he'd agree to show the Bills games.

The only 'catch' was that one of us had to open the place at 9:30 AM every Sunday morning and tend the bar - the Bills games start at 10 AM out there, and none of the regular bartenders would come in 'til noon.

The rest is history.

"The North Star - in the Italian section of Chinatown!"

North Star Cafe/San Francisco Bay Area Bills Backers

Cool logo Senator. Have you done T-Shirts with it? I need a few new Bills T-Shirts and would be willing to buy one.

Cool logo Senator.  Have you done T-Shirts with it?  I need a few new Bills T-Shirts and would be willing to buy one.

722523[/snapback]

I'll check if they're planning on another order any time soon - I have only two left myself, and they're old.