What was the most heart breaking non-playoff game?

duey

2 -- Back in about 1978 or 79.  Tom Dempsey missed a chip shot with seconds left in the 4th quarter.  I was standing in the driving rain, watching, thinking that the "0 for the 1970's" losing streak was over.  I expected the fans would take the field and tear down the goal posts.  When he missed it hurt like hell.

720788[/snapback]

If you're thinking about 1978, then equally as painful was the home opener in '79, and the weather was beautiful. It wasn't Dempsey but Nick Mike-Mayer who shanked the attempt that would have won the game and ended the streak, 10-9.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're thinking about 1978, then equally as painful was the home opener in '79, and the weather was beautiful.  It wasn't Dempsey but Nick Mike-Mayer who shanked the attempt that would have won the game and ended the streak, 10-9.

720838[/snapback]

Your correct but I recall that Mike-Mayer kick was not at the end of the game for the win.

The drama of the Dempsey miss added to my pain.

It was Tom Dempsey...

September 2, 1979 -- BILLS LOSE 19th STRAIGHT TO DOLPHINS

Tom Dempsey missed a 34-yard field goal on the final play, preventing the Bills from beating Miami. The Dolphins escaped with their 19th straight victory over the Bills, 9-7, in front of 69,441 at rain-soaked Rich Stadium, which was deluged by a storm in the fourth quarter.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=720069

Terrible way to start the season.

It was Tom Dempsey...

September 2, 1979 -- BILLS LOSE 19th STRAIGHT TO DOLPHINS

Tom Dempsey missed a 34-yard field goal on the final play, preventing the Bills from beating Miami. The Dolphins escaped with their 19th straight victory over the Bills, 9-7, in front of 69,441 at rain-soaked Rich Stadium, which was deluged by a storm in the fourth quarter.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=720069

Terrible way to start the season.

721158[/snapback]

Ahh, you're right. I think they got Mike-Mayer after that. What the hell, I was only 10 years old; I'm surprised I remembered it at all.

How about Bledsoe Bowl I? We were riding high and could have hit the halfway mark 5-3 and in first place in the division. Bledsoe was looking like the greatest QB ever in his 1st year in Buffalo. Then the evil genius comes into Buffalo and shows the league how to destroy Bledsoe and the Bills dominant O. Genius Killdrive never adjusts. Goodbye playoff dreams, hello mediocrity.