Kids in the front seat

plenzmd1

My wife just quit her job for the National Association for Childrens Hospitals and Related Institutions and has covered a lot of these issues for her work....

I think it depends how tall the kid is, as well as the weight. Age is only a concern if a law applies, and I doubt it does at this age.

Here's a web page that gives you a place to enter age, height and weight. When I guessed 5 ft tall (11 yrs, 105 lbs), this message came up:

Safety belts are designed for adults. Until a child is 4-feet 9-inches tall, he or she will be better positioned in the back seat using a booster seat. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommends children use booster seats until they are at least eight years old or more than 4-feet 9-inches tall.

http://www.boosterseat.gov/

your car doesn't come with a trunk?

allright, heres my situation. My neighbor and i have 2 kids each that will be going to the same school this year, and we want to carpool. Problem is neither one of us has a car that fits 4 kids in the back.

Now, her oldest boy is 11, but hes a real sturdy kid, weighs 105, and plays lacrosse and football, very strong for his age,so hes a solid 105, no fat on the kid that i can tell.

I have been researching this for bout an hr on the web, but all i can can come up with is it is highly recommended that children under 12 sit in the back. I could find nothing about suggested heights and weights when it becomes safe to ride in the front seat.

Any body have experience or suggestions where to look?

BTW, scho0l is only bout a mile away, and all surface roads are used.

THX

718690[/snapback]