July Movies: Pirates 2, Lady in the Water, &...

But that's how I enjoy these things.  Appreciating the technical aspects of what makes a good movie a good movie is how I enjoy movies (most things, really).

721039[/snapback]

Agreed. It's story telling, plain and simple. And a good story is one that makes you want to pop the hood and see how the engine works. At least to me.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to come off sounding like I am trying to build POTC into the best film in history, clearly it is not. And a lot of the criticism is justified. However, one pet peeve of mine is this sort of comment.

It is entirely unfair to criticize the script without reading it. What actually is on the page is very often not what appears on the screen. Changes are made whether it's the producer, director, set designer etc. I've read the script, and it is longer than the typical feature yes, but it is not bloated and does not have a wasted or unused moment -- now what happened on screen is a different story.

721011[/snapback]

Look, I don't care if the bloating is in the script or in the screen presentation that results from it. I don't know where the plot lines were drawn, added, or criss-crossed -- early during screenwriting or later during production. It doesn't really matter to me as the viewer, but if it makes you feel better that I criticize the movie plotline rather than the script itself then so be it.

I'm not attempting to challenge the complexity of the characters in the movie (though, to be honest, I really wouldn't be looking to a movie like POTC2 for serious character development), just the assorted plotlines and the general chaos of their presentation. Part of the problem, I'm sure, is that I was sitting far too close to the screen at the time, but I had too much trouble following what was going on in the flick because there were just too many different plot lines all intermixed. I had the same sensation that I did when I went to see Matrix2. The first one was linear, simple, and effective. The second got so caught up in trying to create a cool, complex world and story that it became more about concentration and comprehension and less on sitting back and experiencing.

One thing I will give Lucas credit for is Empire Strikes Back; at least he kept it relatively simple with a central focus on the characters. I didn't really find myself caring for anybody in POTC2, I was too busy figuring out what it was they were supposed to be doing, and why.

I had the same sensation that I did when I went to see Matrix2. The first one was linear, simple, and effective. The second got so caught up in trying to create a cool, complex world and story that it became more about concentration and comprehension and less on sitting back and experiencing.

I totally agree....I was really disappointed with the second Matrix, but I was willing to give them the chance to finish their line of thinking in the third one. By the end of the third one I was so damn pissed that I've basically decided the second and third don't even exist. The first movie was GREAT....I loved it. I've seen it several times and I've loved it every time. They totally dropped the ball after that.

However, if you dug the first one, then you'll be happy with the sequel.

720291[/snapback]

I saw POTC:DMC last night and was sorely disappointed, since the orignal was one of my top 10 all-time favorites. They brought everyone back except the script writer, apparently. And JD's charm/humor was AWOL much of the flick, IMO.

It was cool, however, seeing Young Island (where I went on my honeymoon and where Depp and some of the other actors stay for much of the filming) in the first few minutes. Great place that I hope to go back to some day.

Went and saw Clerks II today, if you enjoyed the first one, you'll love this one. Best part is getting to watch Rosario Dawson.

727261[/snapback]

Should have found a better pic, that one is horrible.

I went to see POTC:DMC last night, and I think it was great. It was a set up for a third one, just like all trilogies. It wasn't as good as the first and the last one will probably be the best, but it isn't as bad as some are saying. It is an action movie (which the second half has a great deal of). The effects are amazing, and the scenery is just breathtaking in some parts. Its got the occasional cheesy moment in it, but I just think some people here were expecting an academy award winner of a movie, which it is not.

Also saw Nacho Libre earlier this week and I must say i was disapointed, probably because i am a huge Jack black fan (can't wait to see the Tenacious D movie) and it was written by the guy who did Napolean Dynomite which is also a good movie in my book. But I found that they were trying to make the movie too much like Napolean Dynomite, and it failed on that part. It just wasn't all that funny