Thank You, Isiah Thomas

***-Mike Mularkey- a guy who made Harvey Johnson, Hank Bullough, Gregg Williams and others look adequate compared with his bufoonery both on the field and in the locker room (alienating vets like telling Sam adams guys who couldn't hold his jock were better off in the starting lineup than him).

716515[/snapback]

rofl, these comments are sooo retarded. Did you watch any games in 2001/2003?

rofl, these comments are sooo retarded.  Did you watch any games in 2001/2003?

717319[/snapback]

Please explain why you feel this way, just throwing an insult out does not show me any knowledge on your part. On the other hand, I've stated why, using Sam Adams for the locker room example-Gregg never had problems with players like MM had. In addition, Gregg did not try to pull as many tricks as Mularkey. Gregg Williams was a bad coach, and we've had some bad coaches in the past. However, none of them ever put himself above the team like Mularkey did. The lame attempt to save his job late in the season, retarding the teams growth by not finding out if JP could play or not is one thing among many that are unforgiveable as a head coach. I stand by my statement-worst coach in team history.

Now, would you like to respond with an intelligent answer, or is that out of your range of ability? For the record I saw every game of both Gregg's & Mike's eras, and attended every home game.

Albany,

I have argued this ad nauseam in the past, so I hesitate to write too much w/ so many posters on board, i'll just have to repeat it a month from now.

I also didn't agree w/ the way the Sam Adams situation went down last year. I have no idea what happened in the locker room though. I also don't understand why Holcomb played towards the end. I think it's somewhat of a stretch to say it was purely for selfish reasons, as he did have a 5yr contract and ultimately chose to quit, leaving $ on the table.

I guess my evaluation of coaches is more preparation/performance related. People have short memories and had unwarranted high expectations last year, so the most recent disastrous season is fresh in everyone's mind.

To me the most shocking part of the Miami debacle wasn't that we blew a lead, but that we had a 21-3 lead in the first place. In 2001 we blew a 21-10 lead vs. Miami at home with about 5 minutes left which i thought was just as embarassing.

The offense sucked and yet they scored on just about every opening posession...MM gets no credit for this? We couldn't score a single f*&%ing offensive TD in 7 games in 2003...SEVEN OUT OF SIXTEEN! How was that not the worst coaching performance ever? Granted, MM was an offensive coach and GW wasn't, but that doesn't explain how the team went from 32nd to 1st in takeaways from 2003-2004.

Granted, MM was an offensive coach and GW wasn't, but that doesn't explain how the team went from 32nd to 1st in takeaways from 2003-2004.

717458[/snapback]

Didn't we have an assistant head coach in 2004?

Didn't we have an assistant head coach in 2004?

717461[/snapback]

Was LeBeau there in 2003? I don't remember. FWIW I do think there's a good deal of luck involved with regard to turnovers. The point is the defense wasn't any better under a defensive HC with primarily the same players.

Was LeBeau there in 2003?  I don't remember.  FWIW I do think there's a good deal of luck involved with regard to turnovers.  The point is the defense wasn't any better under a defensive HC with primarily the same players.

717464[/snapback]

Lebeau was only around for a year. And I believe that turnover ratio was a direct result of his knowledge and football adjustments. You want to talk about the difference in a team from year to year? Look at the D with him and without. The defense carried the team in 2003, and when Lebeau left, that defense went to hell. Far more than can be explained by the loss of a DT.

Gregg Williams was not a good HC coach, though I believe he could have gotten better with time. MM was the biggest waste of two years I have can ever remember. Every thing he touched turn to crap.

Oh, and how did Lebeau's next defense do? We'll see if MM can even come close as a OC in Miami.

Lebeau was only around for a year.  And I believe that turnover ratio was a direct result of his knowledge and football adjustments.  You want to talk about the difference in a team from year to year?  Look at the D with him and without.  The defense carried the team in 2003, and when Lebeau left, that defense went to hell.  Far more than can be explained by the loss of a DT.

Gregg Williams was not a good HC coach, though I believe he could have gotten better with time.  MM was the biggest waste of two years I have can ever remember.  Every thing he touched turn to crap.

Oh, and how did Lebeau's next defense do?  We'll see if MM can even come close as a OC in Miami.

717481[/snapback]

So basically GW > MM because he didn't have the benefit of Lebeau? I'm sorry I just don't follow that logic at all.

If QB X has better WR's to work with than QB Y that is one factor to be taken into consdieration when comparing the two but it doesn't automatically mean QB Y is better.

Whatever, I hope MM flames out in Miami as much as the next guy. I just don't think there's any empirical evidence to indicate GW did a better or even an equal job as a HC in his 3 years.

Albany,

I have argued this ad nauseam in the past, so I hesitate to write too much w/ so many posters on board, i'll just have to repeat it a month from now.

I also didn't agree w/ the way the Sam Adams situation went down last year.  I have no idea what happened in the locker room though.  I also don't understand why Holcomb played towards the end.  I think it's somewhat of a stretch to say it was purely for selfish reasons, as he did have a 5yr contract and ultimately chose to quit, leaving $ on the table. 

I guess my evaluation of coaches is more preparation/performance related.  People have short memories and had unwarranted high expectations last year, so the most recent disastrous season is fresh in everyone's mind. 

To me the most shocking part of the Miami debacle wasn't that we blew a lead, but that we had a 21-3 lead in the first place.  In 2001 we blew a 21-10 lead vs. Miami at home with about 5 minutes left which i thought was just as embarassing. 

The offense sucked and yet they scored on just about every opening posession...MM gets no credit for this?  We couldn't score a single f*&%ing offensive TD in 7 games in 2003...SEVEN OUT OF SIXTEEN!  How was that not the worst coaching performance ever?  Granted, MM was an offensive coach and GW wasn't, but that doesn't explain how the team went from 32nd to 1st in takeaways from 2003-2004.

717458[/snapback]

Good reply.

I'm very bitter towards Mularkey and while he may have showed a little more on field ability than some of our other bust head coaches, the fact that he was trying to win meaningless games late in the season, rather than finding out if his younger players actually can play in the NFL or not is unforegivable. Sure, Hank Bullough was a bad coach and hated by his players (except Joe DeLamielleure who loves Hank so much that he included him in his HOF speech), but even Hank never put himself over the team. Years from now, when my bitterness subsides, I'll probably rate MM higher than Hank, Harvey Johnson and Jim Ringo, but I still think because he never lost the team like Mularkey did, Gregg Williams was the better coach. Also, Gregg will get another shot as a head coach, I doubt Mularkey will. But, if they both do, Gregg will have greater success than Mularkey, even though I still think he'll be a dud, just not a bomb like Mularkey.

Good reply. 

I'm very bitter towards Mularkey and while he may have showed a little more on field ability than some of our other bust head coaches, the fact that he was trying to win meaningless games late in the season, rather than finding out if his younger players actually can play in the NFL or not is unforegivable. 

717489[/snapback]

Yeah, again I wish JP had played more but I guess I don't hold the same bitterness towards MM. I don't know how much of a difference it's going to make in the long run.

I guess if JP stinks it up early in the year, starts to play well late and we miss the playoffs by a game, then I'll throw stones at Mularkey for 'stunting his progress'. The reality is though we're not a playoff team even with a good QB. I expect us to get destroyed in these first couple road games and I'm not going to call for JP's head if he doesn't play well early. The bottom line is the kid has to show progress and prove he can play towards the latter half of the season. If he doesn't, you can't point the figure elsewhere (well, except maybe for Donahoe :rolleyes: ).

The escapades of Thomas and the Knicks takes the Bills out of the national news as a laughing stock organization.  Draft a 2nd round prospect with the 20th pick??

Make a big deal about getting Larry Brown then dump him after one season??

THis makes Ralph and Marv look quite a bit better.

716503[/snapback]

Who copied who?

This writer even mentions the Bills, and his article was dated 1 day after your post. :lol::lol:

The escapades of Thomas and the Knicks takes the Bills out of the national news as a laughing stock organization.  Draft a 2nd round prospect with the 20th pick??

Make a big deal about getting Larry Brown then dump him after one season??

THis makes Ralph and Marv look quite a bit better.

716503[/snapback]

Sure, but when the !@#$ did the Bills become national news?