Warren Buffet donates $37B...

Founding Berkshire Hathaway will be his legacy, but don't overlook his contributions to American, and especially Chinese, cuisine.  Where would we be without the buffet-style eating that has become so prevalent today?  Where would the stoner community go in the middle of the night without $6.95 all-you-can-eat Chinese buffets?  Where would homosexuals eat when they wanted a mix of breakfast and lunch at 11am? 

Many thanks to you, Warren Buffet, you are a true pioneer.  Also, it's a little-known fact that he amassed the majority of his fortune investing in Sterno, which invented the heating solutions to keep his food warm while on the buffet table.  Smart man.

714105[/snapback]

I think you are confusing Warren with Jimmy. :blush:

Founding Berkshire Hathaway will be his legacy, but don't overlook his contributions to American, and especially Chinese, cuisine.  Where would we be without the buffet-style eating that has become so prevalent today?  Where would the stoner community go in the middle of the night without $6.95 all-you-can-eat Chinese buffets?  Where would homosexuals eat when they wanted a mix of breakfast and lunch at 11am? 

Many thanks to you, Warren Buffet, you are a true pioneer.  Also, it's a little-known fact that he amassed the majority of his fortune investing in Sterno, which invented the heating solutions to keep his food warm while on the buffet table.  Smart man.

714105[/snapback]

I thought he made his money of his songs like "Margaritaville"...? :blush:

I don't understand why there is so much animosity toward super rich dudes like this. If you read his bio, he earned all that money with a series of extremely smart/lucky investments. Why should he have to fork it all over to the government? I am a poor man, but if I ever become rich through hard work and/or luck I'm definitely not going to happily surrender my money to the government just because the working class envies me.

I don't understand why there is so much animosity toward super rich dudes like this.  If you read his bio, he earned all that money with a series of extremely smart/lucky investments.  Why should he have to fork it all over to the government?  I am a poor man, but if I ever become rich through hard work and/or luck I'm definitely not going to happenly surrender my money to the government just because the working class envies me.

714134[/snapback]

amen. I cannot beleive people are criticizing Buffet here. $37 billion to charity and people are bitching :blush:

If a portion of that money were to be donated to the complainers on here, they would be praising him. But since most of them won't even see a fraction of the money he is investing during their entire lifetime, they will complain cause he is in a position to just hand it out. This guy earned his money, along with guys like Bill Gates, and Tom Golisano from hard work and an idea. They aren't the new breed of "Rich Royalty" who have done nothing to deserve their fame and fortune that has been handed to them when their parents die (like the Hilton Sisters, and these Greek oil Heirs they date). Those are the rich that atleast deserve the criticizing and comments cause they did nothing (and won't do anything) to get that money except being born into the family.

I think its nice to see someone realise that there is such a thing as too much money and that it is wiser to donate it then let the government screw your family over when they get their grubby hands on it in estate tax.

amen.  I cannot beleive people are criticizing Buffet here.  $37 billion to charity and people are bitching :blush:

714142[/snapback]

For the record: my original post wasn't meant to criticize, it was just commenting on the irony of the second-richest guy in the world giving the lion's share of his fortune to the richest guy in the world.

And among American "robber-barons"...that sort of philanthropy is par for the course, anyway. And the American middle class complained about it when the Rockefellers, Fords, and Carnegies did it a hundred years ago, too...

For the record: my original post wasn't meant to criticize, it was just commenting on the irony of the second-richest guy in the world giving the lion's share of his fortune to the richest guy in the world. 

And among American "robber-barons"...that sort of philanthropy is par for the course, anyway.  And the American middle class complained about it when the Rockefellers, Fords, and Carnegies did it a hundred years ago, too...

714184[/snapback]

I don't know too much about the Rockefellers, Fords, etc., but it seems to me that the original earners of those fortunes still left the majority of it to their heirs, whereas Bill Gates and Buffet have both stated that they don't want to leave it all to their kids. By leaving their fortunes to charities, Gates and Buffet are at least maintaining some level of control of what ultimately happens to their money. It's certainly better than giving it to the government who will just squander it away anyway. It's also better than leaving it in the hands of their heirs, who had no part in earning the money so they certainly wouldn't know what to do with it.

Yeah, how much did you pay for the one you bought your wife?  Four or five billion?

And don't ask me what I think of his "art"

714225[/snapback]

Couple of grand. May as well have been four billion.

I'm not a big fan of his stuff either, which is why it's in the living room. You know...the big room with all the good furniture where no one ever goes. :blush:

Couple of grand. May as well have been four billion.

I'm not a big fan of his stuff either, which is why it's in the living room. You know...the big room with all the good furniture where no one ever goes. :lol:

714229[/snapback]

And of course you have to include the cost for the track lighting. Those paintings don't look like the surface of the sun until you add the track lighting. :blush: