Why don't we just execute Saddam?

BAGHDAD, Iraq, June 21 — Saddam Hussein's trial on crimes against humanity was struck by new violence on Wednesday when a senior lawyer on his defense team was abducted, beaten and shot to death. The defense lawyer was the third to be killed since the trial began in October, and the 10th person associated with the court trying Mr. Hussein to be killed in the last 18 months.

Hussein Lawyer Seized and Slain in Baghdad

I am SO sick of the United States playing with terrorists as if they have the same rights as U.S. citizens. There is nothing politically correct about war.

:P

Strange. I thought he was being tried by an Iraqi court. My mistake  :P

712234[/snapback]

For some reason the song "I'm Your Puppet" gets stuck in my head when I think of Iraqi as a prefix to things like court, government, army....

But I get your point, chicot.

Strange. I thought he was being tried by an Iraqi court. My mistake  :P

712234[/snapback]

Nope. I actually know the guy at the Justice Department in charge of the prosecution's case. And he's said to me "Saddam's going to be executed."

The trial's a complete farce. Perhaps a necessary one...but a farce nonetheless.

Nope.  I actually know the guy at the Justice Department in charge of the prosecution's case.  And he's said to me "Saddam's going to be executed."

The trial's a complete farce.  Perhaps a necessary one...but a farce nonetheless.

712263[/snapback]

As was the Neuremburg trials.

Hussein Lawyer Seized and Slain in Baghdad

I am SO sick of the United States playing with terrorists as if they have the same rights as U.S. citizens. There is nothing politically correct about war.

:P

712218[/snapback]

Part of starting a system founded on civilized action and democracy instead of brutality is following through with it and not going with whatever's convenient. The need for better protection for the lawyers is not really related to the need for a trial. In the same way that the soldiers need to be the betters of the terrorists and criminals and not stoop to their levels (it's part of winning the PR game that is sadly as or more important as/than the war fought with bullets and bombs), the new government needs to be better than the last and establish some semblance of law and order, rather than just killing Saddam outright because everybody wants it done.

Part of starting a system founded on civilized action and democracy instead of brutality is following through with it and not going with whatever's convenient.  The need for better protection for the lawyers is not really related to the need for a trial.  In the same way that the soldiers need to be the betters of the terrorists and criminals and not stoop to their levels (it's part of winning the PR game that is sadly as or more important as/than the war fought with bullets and bombs), the new government needs to be better than the last and establish some semblance of law and order, rather than just killing Saddam outright because everybody wants it done.

712285[/snapback]

War crimes -> Firing Squad

I think that the United States had to do this a few times on its journey to establishing a new government.

Overall, I am pleased with the results. :P

The new Iraqi government also has to show it has some cojones.

Not everybody wants Saddam killed, apparently. Some would rather just keep disrupting the trial to continue the chaos and anarchy, destroying the credibility of the new government.

Also, I would not be quick to question every action of our soldiers, until I walked in their desert boots for a bit. They ARE the betters of the terrorists and criminals, ALMOST without exception. We just do not hear enough about the GOOD they do on a daily basis.

War crimes -> Firing Squad

I think that the United States had to do this a few times on its journey to establishing a new government.

Overall, I am pleased with the results.  :P

The new Iraqi government also has to show it has some cojones.

Not everybody wants Saddam killed, apparently. Some would rather just keep disrupting the trial to continue the chaos and anarchy, destroying the credibility of the new government.

Also, I would not be quick to question every action of our soldiers, until I walked in their desert boots for a bit. They ARE the betters of the terrorists and criminals, ALMOST without exception. We just do not hear enough about the GOOD they do on a daily basis.

712320[/snapback]

I don't question that. It's not that these men aren't better than their enemies. It's that that's the expectation. The fact is, one slip-up and a year's work or more is compromised. And the recent slip-ups, if that's all we want to call them, look bad. This should be drilled into every soldier's head, and even moreso into the people leading them. It's another example of how the people in charge don't understand how to best equip and direct this insurgency / war / aftermath etc.

I won't claim to know anything about war or being there. I'm sure it's ridiculous and tough to know what's going on. Sometimes defending oneself becomes a terrible mistake. Other times the killing of innocents appears more calculated and that's bad. But I know enough about PR to know the Bush administration gets a failing grade.

I like Don Imus' idea: Put Saddam back in charge of Iraq, tell him sorry about killing the boys, but if you get the economy and services back to at least the way it was before the invasion we'll let you stay in control as long as you don't mess with any of the civilians anymore. It's got a better chance of success than what Bush is doing.

I like Don Imus' idea: Put Saddam back in charge of Iraq, tell him sorry about killing the boys, but if you get the economy and services back to at least the way it was before the invasion we'll let you stay in control as long as you don't mess with any of the civilians anymore.  It's got a better chance of success than what Bush is doing.

712786[/snapback]

It's true. Most of our country's best friends have been the high bidders on eBay. :rolleyes: