I must admit it, I hate Kelly Holcomb

Look at you.  You're asking someone who consciously worships Kelly Holcomb if they want to back in to the playoffs.  What happened to you, man?  You used to be smarter than this...  :)

712094[/snapback]

Actually, LA Bills made a very good point. The Bills didn't have all the pieces in place to win a divisional playoff game back in 2004; Holcomb or no Holcomb. Getting into the playoffs, and getting knocked out in the first or second round, would in itself have been a rather hollow victory. Had it prolonged TD's tenure as GM, it certainly would have delayed the rebuilding process the Bills need to go through. One could even argue that starting Holcomb on opening day of 2005 would have delayed the painful but necessary exposure of Losman.

This is a rebuilding team, and it's tough for rebuilding teams to find a place for older quarterbacks. Much as I like Holcomb, I realize the Bills would be better off having a younger player such as Nall emerge as a bona fide starter. But if you want to go on believing my conscious Holcomb worship will keep me from seeing any of this, go ahead. :P

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not hate Holcomb, but I will be deeply troubled if he emerges as the starter, which I do not think will happen.

I think Holcomb should be the back-up.

I lost all of my faith in Holcomb as a starter during the Bruschi Blowfest. 4th & 7, the Bills have a real chance of winning. Holcomb goes back to pass, looks, looks, and throughs a 1 yard pass to a completely covered Eric Moulds. GAME OVER!!! :P:):lol:

I do not hate Holcomb, but I will be deeply troubled if he emerges as the starter, which I do not think will happen.

I think Holcomb should be the back-up.

I lost all of my faith in Holcomb as a starter during the Bruschi Blowfest. 4th & 7, the Bills have a real chance of winning. Holcomb goes back to pass, looks, looks, and throughs a 1 yard pass to a completely covered Eric Moulds. GAME OVER!!!  :P  :)  :lol:

712120[/snapback]

Everyone's so harsh towards Holcomb based on that one play. But bear in mind the following:

1. The coaching staff called a poor play that time. Roscoe "this is my first game back" Parrish was the primary target on this ill-conceived play. Eric Moulds was to be a decoy, and wasn't asked to run anywhere near the line of scrimmage. The Bills got majorly outcoached on this play.

2. More importantly, 4th and 7 should have been 1st and 10--and would have been had it not been for a questionable officiating decision. Take away the offensive pass interference penalty on Eric Moulds, and you're looking at first and 10 deep in Patriots territory, with a chance to actually win a game against that crew.

3. Yes, that 4th down play mattered. But it mattered because the Bills were still in the game, late in the 4th quarter, against the Patriots, in Gillette Stadium. Don't you think that says something positive about Holcomb? The 2005 Bills--a team with no defense, no offensive line, inconsistent receivers, an inconsistent running game, and a below-average coaching staff--nearly won a game in Gillette Stadium! The Patriots were coming off a bye, and were all pumped up by the return of Tedy Bruschi.

I challenge you to name seven quarterbacks--just seven--who could have taken that pathetic 2005 Bills team into Gillette Stadium, under those circumstances, against the rested and motivated Patriots, and would have walked out with a win.

Everyone's so harsh towards Holcomb based on that one play.  But bear in mind the following:

1. The coaching staff called a poor play that time.  Roscoe "this is my first game back" Parrish was the primary target on this ill-conceived play.  Eric Moulds was to be a decoy, and wasn't asked to run anywhere near the line of scrimmage.  The Bills got majorly outcoached on this play.

2. More importantly, 4th and 7 should have been 1st and 10--and would have been had it not been for a questionable officiating decision.  Take away the offensive pass interference penalty on Eric Moulds, and you're looking at first and 10 deep in Patriots territory, with a chance to actually win a game against that crew.

3. Yes, that 4th down play mattered.  But it mattered because the Bills were still in the game, late in the 4th quarter, against the Patriots, in Gillette Stadium.  Don't you think that says something positive about Holcomb?  The 2005 Bills--a team with no defense, no offensive line, inconsistent receivers, an inconsistent running game, and a below-average coaching staff--nearly won a game in Gillette Stadium!  The Patriots were coming off a bye, and were all pumped up by the return of Tedy Bruschi. 

I challenge you to name seven quarterbacks--just seven--who could have taken that pathetic 2005 Bills team into Gillette Stadium, under those circumstances, against the rested and motivated Patriots, and would have walked out with a win.

712122[/snapback]

Your points are well noted. I will admit that there was terrible playcalling as well. I will also admit that Holcomb while not spectacular, was getting the job done in that game.

I would also like to point out that our defense was doing a good job in that game too.

The reason that I focus on this one play is because of the situation. Maybe it should have been 1st & 10, but it was'nt. The playcall on this play may not have been the best choice either. My point is that Holcomb is a veteran QB, and he's seen a lot of plays, from that perspective did Holcomb really think his pass to Moulds would work? Why not at least throw it downfield and take the chance of actually getting the 1st down?

That is why I focus on the play, and I blame Mularkey on this too. After that play the Bills looked incompetant, stupid, and like they did'nt even belong in the NFL.

How can a veteran like Kelly Holcomb make a play like that, in that situation?

That is my frustration with Holcomb.

At least Flutie won games, helped the team get into the playoffs and was exciting to watch.  In the end it turned out he was right all along-he should have started ever game that both he and Rob Johnson were healthy for (and that didn't leave many games for Rob anyway). 

Meanwhile, Holcomb does absolutely nothing for the good of the team by starting.  He might have a good game once in a while like the Cincy game, which was taken over by Terrance McGee, not Holcomb, but most of the time he'll just disappoint.  All Holcomb does is take time away from the team finding out if one of the younger QBs has what's needed to be a solid NFL starting QB. 

While I doubt Holcomb will be the starting QB in the Fairchild offense, I can't wait for the day he is out of Buffalo.

711954[/snapback]

I've got nothing against the man and he will back up Losman this year. Think about it: should JP falter and Nall never understands the system, who are we left with? Kelly is better than nothing, I say.

I've got nothing against the man and he will back up Losman this year.  Think about it:  should JP falter and Nall never understands the system, who are we left with?  Kelly is better than nothing, I say.

712163[/snapback]

Trust me Nall is better the Holcomb. Nall does really good interviews.

At least Flutie won games, helped the team get into the playoffs and was exciting to watch.  In the end it turned out he was right all along-he should have started ever game that both he and Rob Johnson were healthy for (and that didn't leave many games for Rob anyway). 

Meanwhile, Holcomb does absolutely nothing for the good of the team by starting.  He might have a good game once in a while like the Cincy game, which was taken over by Terrance McGee, not Holcomb, but most of the time he'll just disappoint.  All Holcomb does is take time away from the team finding out if one of the younger QBs has what's needed to be a solid NFL starting QB. 

While I doubt Holcomb will be the starting QB in the Fairchild offense, I can't wait for the day he is out of Buffalo.

711954[/snapback]

Hear, hear!

KH is a waste of space. All he does is take the coaches eyes away from the brighter QB prospects on this team.

KH=RJ

I'll make this a short post, because my tears are causing problems with my keyboard.  This is the very first time I've heard Holcomb is too old to have much of an upside.  You'd think the point would have been made somewhere in the tens of thousands of posts I've read on these boards, but no.  The newness of the idea is what makes it so emotionally disturbing.  :P

712044[/snapback]

Ahhh, irony.

Everyone's so harsh towards Holcomb based on that one play.  But bear in mind the following:

1. The coaching staff called a poor play that time.

712122[/snapback]

A defense that doesn't seem to matter to you wrt Losman, but is convenient to use for Holcomb. Got it. :P

Trust me Nall is better the Holcomb.  Nall does really good interviews.

712165[/snapback]

:lol::D:lol::lol:

Alex Van Pelt must be the best interview QB of all time. I remember all those playoff wins he led us to, and those nine straight Super Bowls. Good times. :)

How can anyone hate Holcomb?  Seriously?  First, a look at KH's stats:

Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate

2005 Buffalo Bills 10 8 230 155 67.4 1509 6.56 65 10 8 17/140 14 3 85.6

Now JP's:

2005 Buffalo Bills 9 8 228 113 49.6 1340 5.88 58 8 8 26/197 15 6 64.9

So in the same exact amount of starts, KH had a 20+ edge in QB rating and 17+ edge in completion percentage.  Additionally, KH was sacked 9 less times.  My point isn't to rip JP.  Obviously, the long term success of this franchise will be much better if JP becomes the guy.  But while KH is not an all pro, he is still a pretty decent QB in his own right.  He makes the safe plays and as a result, the Bills were in every game he started.  In fact, there's no question in my mind if KH was the starter in 2004 instead of Bledsoe, the Bills would have been comfortably in the playoffs.  We had the 30th or so ranked defense last year.  So give the man some credit.

712035[/snapback]

Statistics can be misleading.....I on the JP bandwagon (if you call that)...and I concede he needs still to polish his skills and play the game naturally rather than

second guessing his WRs...However, what KH did was to increase his completion % by going for the 2 and 3 yard gains and hoped his WRs will take it an extra 5 yards...WHile there is nothing wrong with that, teams figure out that easily and the chains stop moving.....

If going by stats if KHs QB rating was 20 more than JP, he should be having at least 25% more wins than JP....The point is, this is a team game and you give the QB that gives you the best chance to win the shot. KH is not that.

711954[/snapback]

You say that you hate him 'worse'. If you are a worse hater than someone else it means that you don't hate as good as the other hater, in other words your hate has less quality. I think what you mean to say is that you hate Holcomb more than Flutie. :) Unless of course you hate him less. :P

Meanwhile, Holcomb does absolutely nothing for the good of the team by starting.  He might have a good game once in a while like the Cincy game,

to add fuel to the fire.....the win against Cincy pretty much cost the Bills the ability to draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

711954[/snapback]

So does this mean that you will be going to the Flutie Family Band concert tonight? :P

to add fuel to the fire.....the win against Cincy pretty much cost the Bills the ability to draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

712238[/snapback]

Losing that game would not have put the Bills in position to draft Ferguson.

711954[/snapback]

If Losman or Nall can't beat out Holcomb, doesn't that tell you that they don't have what it takes to ba a solid NFL starting QB?