When Buffalo people relocate, where are the headed

Hey how are you. Where are you in Charlotte? is there a bar Buffalo people get together and watch the games? I do like that place Jocks and Jills, but i doubt we could get the Bills on a bog tv with sound.. Doug

709705[/snapback]

I live in the Sardis Road/ Monroe Road Area. Tavern on the Tracks is right near Bank of America Stadium and is a Bills Bar. You also have Township Grille which is a Bills bar and restaurant in Matthews festival off Independence and 51 which is closer to you.

Can't agree more.  Despite excellent education - both HS and college - why is it that nearly every new business people start seems to be a restuarant rather than one that sells outside the region?  Why arn't the computer science graduates living cheaply in Buffalo while starting up their internet companies?  Why is isn't there a biomed silicon valley in Rocherster and Buffalo?

709796[/snapback]

I've been thinking about that myself lately. The only thing I can think of is that the local install-base isn't there so it's harder to get started. Shops in Atlanta/RTP/San Jose have local companies to sell to in order to get going. It's possible to do dog-and-pony shows to local companies before the money is there for travel expenses and whatnot.

That doesn't address Internet startups and whatnot, though. Taxes are high, sure, but the labor force in WNY is cheap. I've been called about positions in the Amherst area lately, but the salary is less than half of what I make now (no exaggeration).

As a lot of the labor in the area is unskilled, or unfortunate tradesmen that have been lost jobs, I would think it would be a hot-bed for outsource centers and whatnot. You know, do what the Indian economy has done but keep it local. Throw in the fact that call-center capable real estate is cheap up there and it seems you'd have a win/win.

Of course, the NYS labor laws (?) and the taxes might be the deal breaker.

I also believe that everyone is very down on the area. It's economically depressed, but it also has a lot of good points. None of my family/friends up there see it that way. Taxes, taxes, taxes.

You're dead on about the local businesses. No one tries to go global, or even national. Hell, regional for that matter. It's always John's Pizza or Steve's Snow Removal. There's a shop on the corner of 20 and Abbott that's been about 65 different things - not the old Retigs, the carpet place (at one time). That place on Clark/McKinnely has been about 4 different restaurants (Europa, at least when I moved away).

What's the cost of doing business in the area? Is it prohibitive? It seems that selling to global clients but paying Buffalo-area salaries and expenses would be a good thing...

-Jeff

We just purchased a home in Indian Trail in a subdivision called Colten Ridge. Where do you and other Buffalo people watch the games? I have Directv, but wish to watch them with others. If you get a chance, could you email me at Hugebillsfan1@yahoo.com. I have a bunch of questions for you.  Doug

709700[/snapback]

Watched a few sabres games at Buffalo Wild Wings off of Harris Rd. The manager is from Buffalo, and came from the back to meet me when a me and a buddy asked a waitress for the sabres game to be put on. He put it on the big screen lcd tv for us.....yeah baby.

I live in the Sardis Road/ Monroe Road Area. Tavern on the Tracks is right near Bank of America Stadium and is a Bills Bar. You also have Township Grille which is a Bills bar and restaurant in Matthews festival off Independence and 51 which is closer to you.

709835[/snapback]

Fort Mill Tavern in Fort Mill, SC off hwy 160 is a Bills bar too. The owner, Danny was part-owner of Tavern on the Tracks. Good Beef on Wecks!

Fort Mill Tavern in Fort Mill, SC off hwy 160 is a Bills bar too. The owner, Danny was part-owner of Tavern on the Tracks. Good Beef on Wecks!

709960[/snapback]

My brother in law is moving to Fort Mill. I will have to check that place out.

Thanks

Taxes, Governments, Unions, Corruption....this gets so old.

What about Upstate NYers ourselves?  I don't see any semblance of a creative class in most upstate cities.  I don't see people in or from WNYer trying to start businesses or fill needs within the marketplace.  Government can't do that and this void surely isn't all due to aforementioned.  Afterall, downstate, California, etc. all seem to have made it into the 21st century.

709668[/snapback]

Comparative advantage is the term you're looking for. Compare the total package per location, Buffalo vs. California, then you have your answer. For Buffalo to compete, it has to offer more to businesses than other areas, not less, or even an equivalent advantage. You can whine about hearing the same old song all you want, and watch the area die. Until the public sector unions give at least a little, taxes come down, and government provides at least a semblance of transparency, wny will not grow, will not attract or create these kinds of businesses. No one investing their own money would put it in wny the way things are now, it has nothing to do with a lack of creative capital....unless they are a martyr or an incredible visionary.....with tons of money to buy off the right people. But again, the bottom line as far as your question is the lifestyle of california vs. the lifestyle of buffalo. as much as many of us love it.....i think that's because we're odd. most people from across the country would say cali in a minute. so buffalo has to offer more, thus the plm with the unions, taxes, govt, etc.

While reading one of the latest posts about young people leaving the city, I wondered where they are going???? My wife, son and I are leaving Florida this month and are heading to Charlotte, NC. With the housing market in the dumper and the risk of hurricanes, I get the feeling people are not flocking to the sunshine state as much as in the past.

It is so funny that so many of us relocated to get far away from Buffalo, but in the back of our minds, we plot and plan and try to find a  place just close enough so we can still be part of it. Go Buffalo!

709466[/snapback]

My parents left in '68 and moved to Rochester. I left there in '76 to join the Air Force and retired here in Minnesota. Getting real tired of pitiful Vikings football and piss poor fans. We got back a few times over the past five years to see the Bills. We are now looking to move down to the Virginia, NC area due to weather and history.

You can't find the food anywhere else, I'll tell you that.

709607[/snapback]

Does any body really think the food is better is WNY. Maybe its just me, but i think for the most part food is better almost everywhere else. Now, don't get me wrong, we all love some of the "hometown" specilaties.But outside pizza, wings, and sausage and DiCamillos bread, what else is better in Buffalo.

True story, wife goes to Buffalo a few weeks ago for business and wants a good restuarant recommendation. Folks shes having meetings with suggest Daffodils. I mean criminy, i think i went there for my prom dinner.

Are there any decent restaurants in Buffalo outside of sub shops, pizzerias, or Italian smothered in tomato sause. And I am not sying that sarcastically, but she will be going back there prolly 5 times in next two months

Does any body really think the food is better is WNY. Maybe its just me, but i think for the most part food is better almost everywhere else. Now, don't get me wrong, we all love some of the "hometown" specilaties.But outside pizza, wings, and sausage and DiCamillos bread, what else is better in Buffalo.

True story, wife goes to Buffalo a few weeks ago for business and wants a good restuarant recommendation. Folks shes having meetings with suggest Daffodils. I mean criminy, i think i went there for my prom dinner.

Are there any decent restaurants in Buffalo outside of sub shops, pizzerias, or Italian smothered in tomato sause. And I am not sying that sarcastically, but she will be going back there prolly 5 times in next two months

710613[/snapback]

Nice post. My wife said the same thing after her second and last visit there.

710613[/snapback]

there are several...only problem is..most people are tards...and think Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesdays etc are nice Rest....

I moved to South FL in 1999. There were already 9 guys here from my hometown. Since then, 5 have moved away. 3 have moved to raise kids someplace other than Florida (NJ, AZ, & NC). That seems to be the trend.

One left for Cleveland. Read that last sentence again. The other guy is now in St. Louis. Another guy is getting engaged and he'll probably move to Denver.

If I stay, I'll probably have to learn Spanish. :P

Are there any decent restaurants in Buffalo outside of sub shops, pizzerias, or Italian smothered in tomato sause.

710613[/snapback]

Not since I left. :P

But you're absolutely correct. Fine dining is very limited in WNY. Go to SF, NY, LA, Las Vegas or Chicago and you have the best of the best.