So who's next on the rail outta here?

He really is an awful tackler, it's hard to watch.  I've seen him purposely slow down or shuffle laterally to allow someone else to jump in and make the tackle.  Not a good fit at all for a team that wants to gang tackle with "everyone running to the ball".  When he does get near the ball, be it tackling or in pass defense, he has no explosion left in his body.  He's sprung.  I'm not saying he's a coward, I just think he knows he can't play physical and remain healthy, which makes him a liability against the run if nothing else.

And he's a step slow in reacting at safety, something we didn't expect from a guy who was a Pro Bowl CB the season before he came here.  We thought we were getting the next Rod Woodson, instead we got a poor man's Mark Kelso(Kelso was much better at taking away the deep ball).  He has improved some in that regard.  With the exception of the Cleveland game in 2004, his first 10 or so games with the Bills he made Pierson Prioleau look like Ed Reed by comparison.  AWFUL.  But it's hard to believe any gains he makes with experience at safety won't be offset or outweighed by his declining physical skills.

To me, the third strike is his union presence.  I don't want a powerful union rep on a team that is going to have to jump thru hoops 24/7 just to be competitive.  Successful teams all have lots of players who are willing to throw their bodies around for the team and put in tons of extra work to outperform the competition.  Vincent doesn't do that on the field, and whether he is in their ears about it or not, he is not a positive influence, IMO.  Give me Rodney Harrison, you can have Troy Vincent.

706713[/snapback]

Great post. No need to add anything else!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still haven't heard or seen any credible demonstration that the team's leader in turnovers claimed last year as he tied for the lead in both INTs and fumble recovered does not have game compared to the other members of our fatally flawed 05 D.

706434[/snapback]

That's because you've been deaf to it. You're looking for stats, unfortunately there are no stats for "got there late" or "misplayed the ball" or "can't tackle worth a damn". You have to watch the games for those. Most people who watched all the Bills games last year recognized Vincent's poor play. The fact that he had 5 good plays doesn't wipe out all of his bad ones.

Im not trying to overly defend Vincent as far too often he is a liability against the run, Not a wrap up tackler, and honestly I know he's a high character "off the field" type guy but I seriousily question his willingness to give just a little bit more on the field. It seems he's the type who will sit out with the most minor of injuries, and he'll preach this kind of nonsense to his fellow teammates. Granted he's not going to become a better player, but he's not someone you can count on to give his all. He'll play to avoid injury.

However theres a lot of good Troy Vincent can do as well. Granted he's slowing down at his age, but he has keen football awareness. He's pretty much seen it all on the field, and I remember when we drafted evans he stayed after practice with him to help evans learn to break off routes to get open quicker, and was also a big help in the development of terrence mcgee as well. All in all I wouldn't cut him as I believe he can help pass down his lessons over the years to KO and Whitner, and then we can cut rope with him after this season. I also wouldnt be suprised after vincent retires if he makes a damn good defensive backs coach for some team.

All in all I wouldn't cut him as I believe he can help pass down his lessons over the years  to KO and Whitner, and then we can cut rope with him after this season. 

I agree you want him passing down his knowledge of the game to younger players. But the whole locker room lawyer side to Vincent is a negative; and the less this rubs off on the younger guys the better. Maybe there's some other aging free safety we can sign, who can be a player coach without being a locker room lawyer.

A guy that I work with here at Honeywell in VA is married to Troy's cousin. They actually go to all the holiday events and dinners with him and the rest of the family. He said that Troy has been talking about leaving Buffalo for the past 2 years. He also said that Troy acts like Kellen Winslow on his motorcycle, if you know what I mean. He said he rides wheelies up and down the road and all that. He also said that when Troy isn't talking about leaving the Bills, he's been talking about retiring. We've already talked about his tackling games, but he seems to tackle in practice pretty well. He's the one who broke Roscoe's wrist last year. I just hope that Simpson is a quick learner at the FS spot.

Don't think so. Unlike Vincent, he's still got game... but I definitely think this is his last year on the Bills since his contract's up, can't see Marv signing any older players.

706424[/snapback]

Has anyone else noticed the irony that Marv being an old dude seems to not want old players? You would think he would have more respect for the elderly. :)