Foreign Language Programs

ajzepp

I took a few semesters of Spanish in the late 90's, but I've really become rusty. I'm considering taking classes at a local college since I heard good things about the instructor, but I'm even more interested to know if anyone can recommend a good independent study program.

Can anyone recommend a REALLY good program that I can purchase and use on my own? I know that immersion is the best way to become fluent, but I'm hoping there is a program (or programs) out there that can take me a long way toward that goal.

Sadly enough, I think this would be somethign that Ghost of BiB could have helped me with :D But if anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears.

I took a few semesters of Spanish in the late 90's, but I've really become rusty. I'm considering taking classes at a local college since I heard good things about the instructor, but I'm even more interested to know if anyone can recommend a good independent study program.

Can anyone recommend a REALLY good program that I can purchase and use on my own? I know that immersion is the best way to become fluent, but I'm hoping there is a program (or programs) out there that can take me a long way toward that goal.

Sadly enough, I think this would be somethign that Ghost of BiB could have helped me with :D  But if anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears.

705526[/snapback]

Pimsleur is probably the best in the business, but very expensive. I have used their German series, and it is very good. A friend of mine has used their Chinese program, and he was very impressed.

Pimsleur is probably the best in the business, but very expensive.  I have used their German series, and it is very good.  A friend of mine has used their Chinese program, and he was very impressed.

705533[/snapback]

It would be a very practical investment for me, so money isn't a huge factor. I just want to spend my time in the most effective way possible. I'm not in a rush, but I live among many spanish-speaking people, many of whom do not speak much English, so I'd like to start getting serious about it.

I'll definitely research your suggestion....thanks!

I would recommend the Defense Language Institute, but you're probably not interested in joining the military.

However, they do host on-line training materials through Lingnet or the Global Language Online Support System/GLOSS. You can search for Spanish lessons there.

DLIFLC Homepage

Lingnet

GLOSS

705541[/snapback]

Very cool, thanks!

Have to hire some illegals? :lol:

705599[/snapback]

:D

Dude, if you are ever in Gainesville, Georgia, I could show you an area that would make you think you were transported to Mexico. Where I live it's basically chickens, Mexicans, and a big lake :P

Amazon has a few.  Not sure if that's what you are looking for.  :D  Link

705590[/snapback]

Yeah, I was looking there, too.....that rosetta-stone program looks interesting.

:D

Dude, if you are ever in Gainesville, Georgia, I could show you an area that would make you think you were transported to Mexico. Where I live it's basically chickens, Mexicans, and a big lake :P

705614[/snapback]

I live in California. A local Chinese fast food chain has a store with all Mexicans working in it.

http://www.unforgettablelanguages.com/ 

This sight looks interesting too.  How do you spell socks- S-O-C-K-S....es oh si que es- "thats what it is" in Spanish. I have been looking into language aids too.  Rosetta Stone looks great but its very expensive

705859[/snapback]

Yeah, but when you're off in Europe drinking beer and chasing women, I'm sitting on my ass talking on TBD, lol. I'm more than happy to spend a few bucks on a program IF it's really good. I don't have the misconception that achieve fluency until I take part in some sort of immersion....but I do expect that if I drop several hundred bucks on something that it will help me communicate somewhat respectably.

http://www.unforgettablelanguages.com/ 

This sight looks interesting too.  How do you spell socks- S-O-C-K-S....es oh si que es- "thats what it is" in Spanish. I have been looking into language aids too.  Rosetta Stone looks great but its very expensive

705859[/snapback]

Juist skimming this post quick, I thought I saw "Retatta Stone" there.

Biggest double-take of my life. :lol:

Juist skimming this post quick, I thought I saw "Retatta Stone" there.

Biggest double-take of my life.  :lol:

705907[/snapback]

LOL!