A better Consitutional Amendment

My parents were divorced and I connected with both of them.  The problem isn't forcing parents to stay together, it's forcing parents to stay involved.

Also, I can't believe there were no less than three calls for sterilization within the first six posts in this thread.  How is mandatory sterilization going to solve the problem of parents getting divorced, or single parent issues?  It would stop unwed pregnancies, I suppose, but how will it keep people together after they're  married?  Sometimes this place astounds me.

704746[/snapback]

Never said it would solve the problem. Sometimes in life it's not completely solving the problem but making things better. And seeing forced sterilization will never happen it was kind of tongue in cheek. But anything that keeps dumb!@#$s from procreating has got to be a good thing. Hell, it can't hurt. :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No--marriage is for procreation.

704614[/snapback]

Not in my world it ain't.

Unless you're saying my wife and I shouldn't have been married if we didn't plan on having kids?

Wouldn't this just ensure that no one would even consider marriage?

Maybe it's a diabolical plot by the gays to make sure everyone is on even footing.

You're the exception, and you would also fall under the amendment. No worries, but marriage is still for procreation.

704840[/snapback]

Sorry, I just don't believe that. I know plenty of couples that have no interest in procreation.

Marriage can be religious or not religious, and for procreation or not for procreation. There is no overarching definition of marriage that should include either.

You're the exception, and you would also fall under the amendment. No worries, but marriage is still for procreation.

704840[/snapback]

Wife and I have been working on that procreation stuff for 25 years and still no children. Oh well, back to the drawing board I say.

Sorry, I just don't believe that. I know plenty of couples that have no interest in procreation.

Marriage can be religious or not religious, and for procreation or not for procreation. There is no overarching definition of marriage that should include either.

704894[/snapback]

Religion :) Procreation B-) What the hell ever happened to just doing it for love.

Question for the science neeeeerds around here:

Could eugenics ever succeed in eradicating low IQ, criminality and other unwanted aspects of the current situation?

Not sayign I advocate it, but rather asking if it COULD work.

705017[/snapback]

Without delving into what is considered a disease versus a trait/allele, and which non-deleterious traits would be desirable versus undesirable, from a genetics and evolution standpoint a clonal population is not very ideal as it becomes very susceptible to disease. Basically, it is genetic diversity that helps insulate a population from extinction events (from a disease or niche standpoint...not much you can do about an asteroid for example), and it is genetic diversity that helps a population adapt to change. You never know when an unwanted trait might become very desirable.

Don't know many post-menapausal women do you?

705901[/snapback]

What's so hard to understand: it would be law for everyone to abide by, but the primary beneficiaries would be kids.

People who are sterile, infertile, or don't want to have children would just have to follow the law. No one forces anyone to get married, and when you do, you commit to do it for life. If you don't want to make that commitment, don't get married. It's pretty simple.