NY Times Archive... Bills 1981 - Present

Rico

Sorry if previously posted

I was looking at the Saints board & saw this referenced, pretty cool. You have to pay for the longer aricles, but some of them are short enough that you can see them for free... like this one:

Bills' Player Charged

UPI

Published: April 20, 1981

Jim Haslett, a linebacker for the Buffalo Bills, was arrested yesterday and accused of shoving a police officer who stopped the car that Haslett was a passenger in.

The car allegedly passed through a stop light. Haslett, who is 25 years old, was charged by the police with simple assault in connection with the incident, which occurred early in the morning. He was later released on nominal bond. Haslett denies he provoked the incident, claiming Officer Alonzo Mitchell hit him with a flashlight along the hairline for no reason. :lol:  A hearing has been scheduled for Thursday in traffic court.

Another good one:

SPORTS PEOPLE; Bills High on Flutie

Published: December 12, 1984

Some scouts have suggested that, at 5 feet 9 3/4 inches, Doug Flutie is too short to make a top professional quarterback. But Ralph Wilson , the owner of the Buffalo Bills, apparently hasn't been listening.

''We're very, very interested in Doug Flutie,'' Wilson told The Buffalo News. ''I'd like you to print that in large type.'' 0:) This suggests that Flutie, the Boston College star who won the Heisman Trophy this season, could become the National Football League's top draft pick despite concerns about his height. The Bills, whose 2-13 record is now the worst in the league, will clinch the first pick if they lose to the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday. The Atlanta Falcons, one of three teams at 3-12, have already indicated that they are interested. Although there has been some speculation that he might prefer to be with the Generals, who hold the rights to him in the United States Football League, Flutie has said that he wants to play in the N.F.L.

I was looking at the Saints board & saw this referenced, pretty cool. You have to pay for the longer aricles, but some of them are short enough that you can see them for free... like this one:

Another good one:

704459[/snapback]

That is kinda cool, like having "Relentless" on your desktop...

Just reading the first couple of pages from the 1981 season, brought back alot of memories...the game against Denver, the Bills 9-7 winners, I was at, but I don't remember anything like this:

4 Hurt, 7 Seized in Fight After Bills' Triumph

UPI

Published: October 27, 1981

Authorities said today that a ''near riot'' occurred at Rich Stadium in a brawl yesterday following the Buffalo Bills' 9-7 victory over the Denver Broncos.

Four stadium security officers were injured. The fight broke out in a concourse when officers tried to eject some men who they said were smoking marijuana. Seven persons were arrested.

''Injurywise, it was the worst incident we've had at the stadium in six years,'' said a security spokesman.

Another good one:

704459[/snapback]

Bills' Player Charged

UPI

Published: April 20, 1981

Jim Haslett, a linebacker for the Buffalo Bills, was arrested yesterday and accused of shoving a police officer who stopped the car that Haslett was a passenger in.

The car allegedly passed through a stop light. Haslett, who is 25 years old, was charged by the police with simple assault in connection with the incident, which occurred early in the morning. He was later released on nominal bond. Haslett denies he provoked the incident, claiming Officer Alonzo Mitchell hit him with a flashlight along the hairline for no reason.  A hearing has been scheduled for Thursday in traffic court.

Intermittent explosive roid rage. 0:)

This one is kinda funny:

Times Select Content N.F.L.; Hogeboom Shreds Bills, 47-6

AP

LEAD: Gary Hogeboom, one of the first veterans to defy the National Football League Players Association strike, threw five touchdown passes today as an experienced Indianapolis Colts team routed the strike-depleted Buffalo Bills, 47-6, before 9,860 fans at 80,000-seat Rich Stadium.

Only 9,860 fans showed up for that game!

This is really one of my first Bills memories:

SPORTS DESK | November 21, 1988

Times Select Content Bills Clinch A.F.C. East Crown

By GERALD ESKENAZI, SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK TIMES

LEAD: The Bills turned a gloomy, rainy Sunday into a celebration. They clinched first place in the American Conference Eastern Division today in a 9-6 overtime victory over the Jets, launching an uninhibited outburst, with fans tearing down the goalposts and prancing.

Is this the game that they have the picture on the wall in that bar in the Buffalo airport right next to the security check?

By GERALD ESKENAZI, SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK TIMES

LEAD: The Bills turned a gloomy, rainy Sunday into a celebration. They clinched first place in the American Conference Eastern Division today in a 9-6 overtime victory over the Jets, launching an uninhibited outburst, with fans tearing down the goalposts and prancing.

Is this the game that they have the picture on the wall in that bar in the Buffalo airport right next to the security check?

704529[/snapback]

There's no prancing in football!

Here's one.

SPORTS DESK | December 11, 1983

SPORTS PEOPLE; Bledsoe Goes to Bills

Terry Bledsoe , assistant general manager for the Giants, was named general manager of the Buffalo Bills yesterday. The move had been expected, partly because the Bills seem to have a need for Bledsoe's special talents.

Those who do not know their history... 0:)

704529[/snapback]

I lived a mile from the stadium growing up in Buff. I remember that game very clearly, there were people walking down the street with big chunks of goal-post. It was funny.

I used to also get dead-heads sleeping in my front year after the yearly Greatful Dead show, too.

-Jeff