Patrick Kennedy

Or, you could take that out of quotes, b/c those are not the words he said.

The real quote is Kennedy saying he should be treated exactly like someone from that neighborhood would be were they in the same circumstance, which is a rather standard response. (I'm not arguing here whether he is.)

Tantamount to quoting the president as saying, "I sent 2,000 of our kids to be murdered in Iraq b/c of our SNAFU, but I'm not sorry!" after those speeches last year. Take liberties, break out the thesaurus for a few words, and you've got fantastic headlines to sell at the newsstand, yeah? The NYDN is a rag, pure and simple; if you want to promote better discussion, use a better source.

Or, you could take that out of quotes, b/c those are not the words he said.

The real quote is Kennedy saying he should be treated exactly like someone from that neighborhood would be were they in the same circumstance, which is a rather standard response. (I'm not arguing here whether he is.)

Tantamount to quoting the president as saying, "I sent 2,000 of our kids to be murdered in Iraq b/c of our SNAFU, but I'm not sorry!" after those speeches last year. Take liberties, break out the thesaurus for a few words, and you've got fantastic  headlines to sell at the newsstand, yeah? The NYDN is a rag, pure and simple; if you want to promote better discussion, use a better source.

704319[/snapback]

Excellent point, UConn James.

I'm not going to defend Rep. Kennedy's actions, and for the record he hasn't either. But, if you're going to attribute a quote to the guy, at least try and find the actual transcript and not rely on Drudge or the NY Daily News for a manufactured quote.

Here is the full transcript via WaPo.

I expect at the end of the day to have made sure that I will have done the same thing, in terms of the charges, in terms of bookings, in terms of mug shots, fingerprints, whatever they might have me do, it's what anyone else would have done to them if they were an African American in Anacostia and they were picked up and they were -- stay overnight in a jail, because there was no one else to pick them up.

I intend to ask the court to make sure that I spend no less time, you know, in any accountability that anyone else would have spent under similar circumstances, and I've been insistent on that from the very beginning.

A poor choice of words? Totally. But definately not as sensationalist as Drudge would have you believe. The guy is having a press conference to say that he accepts responsibility and doesn't want to be treated any differently than anyone else in that same situation, and the right wing press is taking him to task.

I'm happy to take all of that, because you know what? It was my actions, I'm held responsible for them, I'm going to take accountability for them, and then I want to just move on, because, you know, that's what it's all about to me.

(emphasis mine)

So we're ripping congressmen for actually accepting personal responsibility now?

Libs sticking up for another drunk Kennedy, what else is new?

704396[/snapback]

Is your reading comprehension that freaking impaired that you don't even bother to try anymore?

I'm not going to defend Rep. Kennedy's actions

704336[/snapback]

I was sticking up for responsible reporting. The transcript is out there on the "internets" had the NYDN or Drudge bothered to look for it.

704396[/snapback]

Coli Says:

I'm not going to defend Rep. Kennedy's actions, and for the record he hasn't either. But, if you're going to attribute a quote to the guy, at least try and find the actual transcript and not rely on Drudge or the NY Daily News for a manufactured quote.

Der, der-der der der.

You forget, Johnny, MEDIA BAD unless it's doing its job trashing and misquoting liberals. Wacka is just taking a page from the Daily Snooze's book and filling in the blanks in your quote. At least the NYDN is more respectable than the Post -- by about 25¢. 0:)

Edited by RuntheDamnBall

You forget, Johnny, MEDIA BAD unless it's doing its job trashing and misquoting liberals.  Wacka is just taking a page from the Daily Snooze's book and filling in the blanks in your quote.  At least the NYDN is more respectable than the Post -- by about 25¢.  :lol:

704402[/snapback]

They liberally quoted him, that's for sure. 0:)

At least the NYDN is more respectable than the Post -- by about 25¢.  :lol:

704402[/snapback]

I'd pay an extra $.25 for the Post just so I don't have to read Lupica's whining. 0:)

p.s. This is a really stupid story and I know it's stating the obvious, but if a Republican made the same quote, it would be a national disgrace. Of course, that's because all Republicans hate black people.

Excellent point, UConn James.

I'm not going to defend Rep. Kennedy's actions, and for the record he hasn't either.  But, if you're going to attribute a quote to the guy, at least try and find the actual transcript and not rely on Drudge or the NY Daily News for a manufactured quote.

Here is the full transcript via WaPo.

A poor choice of words?  Totally.  But definately not as sensationalist as Drudge would have you believe.  The guy is having a press conference to say that he accepts responsibility and doesn't want to be treated any differently than anyone else in that same situation, and the right wing press is taking him to task.

So we're ripping congressmen for actually accepting personal responsibility now?

704336[/snapback]

He was so messed up that he didn't know where he was when the cops got to him yet no sobriety test was given...sounds pretty standard to me, no special treatment! He doesn't remember anything about the crash or the events leading up to it...except that he was not drinking. How convenient that his memory works fine when it comes to denying getting drunk. The woman who claims to have served him drinks must be lying!

Unless someone has a time machine, Kennedy cannot take responsibility for his actions because he already received special treatment when he avoided the sobriety test. But hey, if he wants to play the role of martyr...

The press should also be going after the police officers who failed to administer the appropriate tests to Kennedy.

I'd pay an extra $.25 for the Post just so I don't have to read Lupica's whining.  0:)

p.s.  This is a really stupid story and I know it's stating the obvious, but if a Republican made the same quote, it would be a national disgrace.  Of course, that's because all Republicans hate black people.

704412[/snapback]

It's not quite at the Ray Nagin level with his "God wants a chocolate city" remark, but still pretty bad.

The Kennedy's are sort of like the Diplomats in Lethal Weapon, they break the law and just need to flash their Kenomatic Immunity cards.

I'd pay an extra $.25 for the Post just so I don't have to read Lupica's whining.   0:)

p.s.  This is a really stupid story and I know it's stating the obvious, but if a Republican made the same quote, it would be a national disgrace.  Of course, that's because all Republicans hate black people.

704412[/snapback]

Between the Post's 3rd-grade Photoshop work and Lupica, it's a tossup. :lol:

To me, it's just a dumb thing all-around and there's no reason for him to bring race into his stupidity. Probably would have made as much if not more sense to bring into it the fact that he's stinking rich.

What the hell, if he's going to get loaded, why not have a driver? He can obviously afford it. ;)

Edit: Please note I am inserting the class argument as another stupid one that could be made, not a viable substitute.

Edited by RuntheDamnBall

I'd pay an extra $.25 for the Post just so I don't have to read Lupica's whining.  0:)

704412[/snapback]

No it wouldn't be a national disgrase, the Republicans would just start going "Bush Bad" and blaming the media for everything.

704396[/snapback]

Wacka spouting off that I'm "a liberal" just like CTM is a Nazi, and KRC is a Communist. What else is new? 0:)

PS -- the guy is a dope and it's amazing that the media can't just let him be a dope on his own but actually feels it needs to provide assistance in the matter.

704403[/snapback]

The Providence media (especially Alison Bologna on Ch. 10! ;) ) has done a good job covering the story.

... if a Republican made the same quote, it would be a national disgrace.

704412[/snapback]

I dunno. But I do think it would be appropriate for every pol to just stop using the phrase "African-American" in an off-the-cuff manner b/c past performance shows it's like asking for trouble. Yes, he was arrested in a neighborhood whose population is close to 100% black, but why did he go out of the way to add race into the mix? The context here is that he doesn't want special treatment.

In the Trent Lott case, he made similar usage, yet the (inadvertant, in the middle of chatting up an outgoing Senator at a party; I gave him a pass) context made it out to some people like he supported continuation of segregation back in the day. He paid a political price. Kennedy might too; the most recent polls have that 46% support his return to Congress, 47% say he should step down, 7% undecided, in a state he's won convincingly a few times.

The press should also be going after the police officers who failed to administer the appropriate tests to Kennedy.

704414[/snapback]

He claims that 10 out of the 12 police said they couldn't smell alcohol on him. Is that similar to how 4 out of 5 dentists recommend Trident®? :lol:

Wacka spouting off that I'm "a liberal" just like CTM is a Nazi, and KRC is a Communist. What else is new? 0:)

The Providence media (especially Alison Bologna on Ch. 10! ;) ) has done a good job covering the story.

I dunno. But I do think it would be appropriate for every pol to just stop using the phrase "African-American" in an off-the-cuff manner b/c past performance shows it's like asking for trouble. Yes, he was arrested in a neighborhood whose population is close to 100% black, but why did he go out of the way to add race into the mix? The context here is that he doesn't want special treatment.

In the Trent Lott case, he made similar usage, yet the (inadvertant, in the middle of chatting up an outgoing Senator at a party; I gave him a pass) context made it out to some people like he supported continuation of segregation back in the day. He paid a political price. Kennedy might too; the most recent polls have that 46% support his return to Congress, 47% say he should step down, 7% undecided, in a state he's won convincingly a few times.

He claims that 10 out of the 12 police said they couldn't smell alcohol on him. Is that similar to how 4 out of 5 dentists recommend Trident®? :lol:

704528[/snapback]

I guess I didn't realize that it took a majority vote to get a breathalyzer test. If two officers smelled alchohol on his breath how do they explain the fact that the didn't even feel it was necessary to make him blow in a straw! The two who smelled the alchohol were probably Republicans just like the girl who claims to have served him drinks. She was out to get him too. Oh well, nobody likes a "victim" like the libs.

I guess I didn't realize that it took a majority vote to get a breathalyzer test.  If two officers smelled alchohol on his breath how do they explain the fact that the didn't even feel it was necessary to make him blow in a straw!  The two who smelled the alchohol were probably Republicans just like the girl who claims to have served him drinks.  She was out to get him too.  Oh well, nobody likes a "victim" like the libs.

704580[/snapback]

You don't get it, do you? The only thing we're casting Mr. Kennedy as a victim of here is poor reporting. Everything else is fair game.

Of course, I'm forgetting that the Republicans are the only 'victims' of the media here.