Bills to Go Winless This Year?

I was listening to a so-called football "expert" on a local radio station here in the Denver area this week. First he talked about the Broncos, and the true contenders for this year's Superbowl.

Then, the topic turned to the worst teams in the NFL. . .

He mentioned San Francisco as 31st worst and Buffalo as the dead last team, ranked 32nd in the league. He went on that this year's Bills team has a real chance to go winless.

He mentioned the following:

1) A likely disasterous 3-way QB rotation that will be unsettled all year.

2) A miserable O-line that wasn't really addressed this offseason.

3) An unmotivated and likely disenchanted Willis McGahee

3) The loss of Eric Moulds leaving the team with no proven #1 WR and a true lack of size at the position

4) A retread, losing head coach that features offenses that make Mike Ditka's offenses of yesteryear look innovative.

5) A draft that consisted of very little immediate help, with two huge blunders in the first round.

6) A schedule that looks tough on paper and could lead to a history making 0-16 season. He said the Bills likely will NOT be favored in any game this year!

This clown would, on the surface, have no reason to bash the Bills. He objectively thought they'd have a real shot at "making history".

698983[/snapback]

While I don't think the Bills will go win less, I agree with all of his points. Everything which he has adressed has merit and for the first time ever, the Bills don't do anything for me anymore. They seem like a team in total chaos from an owner who has no real clue (or maybe he does) about how to build up a team to a GM decision fraught with cronyism (was Marv Levy really even close to the best GM candidate out there (no experience/knows Ralph)? to a coaching decision on someone with a bad track record (1 good seaon that was built on luck at Chicage). Again, was Dick Jaroun really the best Head Coaching candidate out there (I say No Way). To the team as a whole with major question marks on both Offense and Defence and a draft that showed a team with no sense of trying to make major gains, just improving positions which could pan out, but missing out on the key questions (QB, OL, DL).

I have never been so down on this team and fear they will be a laughingstock this year and in the immediate future. I also have a hard time rooting for a guy like Willis MaGahee when I'm not sure he still wants to be here and seems to becoming more and more of a punk.

We'll see. Good Luck! and the Bills sorely need it!!!!!!!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping there would be stronger arguments (and more of them) to refute this guys prediction. But, it appears that many on this board agree with him, deep down, and are just hoping for the best. Nobody can accuse this board of being too homered in nature!

But, I guess anyway you slice it, this is a bad football team right now. That doesn't seem to be questioned.

4) A retread, losing head coach that features offenses that make Mike Ditka's offenses of yesteryear look innovative.

This is clearly his weakest point. Jauron comes from the defensive side of the ball; so Steve Fairchild will be able to coach the offense without undue interference. I watched a Rams game or two when Fairchild was calling the plays. They did a nice job of having Jackson pound the ball, while using the deep ball as a frequent weapon. It was a nice combination; one which I look forward to seeing more of as Fairchild calls plays for the Bills. I don't exactly view the Bills with rose colored glasses, but Fairchild's playcalling is a significant bright spot for this team. Mark it down.

No way. I would predict that we have a starting QB by the first game of the season and that DJ and ML will stick with him. Both of these guys have been around long enough to know that a quarterback rotation (or a quarterback squabble) is something to be avoided. I suspect Nalls has the lead right now followed by Kelly and then Holcomb. That being said I see Holcomb as the number two and us cutting either Losman or Nalls.

I wouldn't use the term miserable. It is a very weak offensive line. DJ and ML will have to react to that in the season, and I'm hoping their offensive scheme takes that into account. Lots of two tight end situations.

Its all about the Benjamins here. McGahee is going to renegotiate and/or play somewhere else. His value is not very high right now and he has something to prove.

3) The loss of Eric Moulds leaving the team with no proven #1 WR and a true lack of size at the position

Given. Thats another reason the two tight end set might be a major part of our game.

OK. I said pretty much the same thing when we hired him. I think working with ML they will be ready to work with what they have. This is where we could go wrong more than any other reason, but I'm betting on them to step up. I don't see DJ getting into any power play drama with players.

5) A draft that consisted of very little immediate help, with two huge blunders in the first round.

I predict that both the first AND second round picks will provide immediate help. How he figured we were going to man the safety position without a free agent or top defensive back is beyond me. The guy MIGHT have been a stretch, but he certainly is going to help us in the coming season. Defensive line is a very weak area and Defensive Tackle the weakest of the weak areas. I predicted that the defensive line will be as good as or better than last year's defensive line.

6) A schedule that looks tough on paper and could lead to a history making 0-16 season. He said the Bills likely will NOT be favored in any game this year!

All of Salisbury's points are legit, and I would probably come up with an assessment a little better than he makes out. I think we will win between 6 and 0 games this year.

I was listening to a so-called football "expert" on a local radio station here in the Denver area this week. First he talked about the Broncos, and the true contenders for this year's Superbowl.

Then, the topic turned to the worst teams in the NFL. . .

He mentioned San Francisco as 31st worst and Buffalo as the dead last team, ranked 32nd in the league. He went on that this year's Bills team has a real chance to go winless.

He mentioned the following:

This clown would, on the surface, have no reason to bash the Bills. He objectively thought they'd have a real shot at "making history".

698983[/snapback]

Every year in Denver they think that they will win the Super Bowl, and before Elway they were always the bridesmaid - after Elway they will always be the bridesmaid. The Snake is a suped-up version of RJ.

1. DJ and his brass will commit to one guy by the 2nd preseason game.

2. Nothing will succeed like success, and Willis McGahee will be riding that wave.

3. Evans, Price, Parrish, Davis, Aiken or Nance, and Wilson.

4. A Rams Offense and a Bears-TBay Defense. I'm happy.

5. No. Custom picks for a specialized purpose on D.

6. We won't be favored early; who knows by midseason.

Look, the Bills weren't very good last year, and the limited success of the year before was something of a mirage. The real question is how bad were they last year, and whether they are turning it around. What I mean is, are they a team that, with some upgrades (especially on the lines), can compete, or do they need a complete overhaul? No one knows the answer to that yet. We also don't know yet if the Bills are moving in the right direction. We've heard a lot from the experts that the Bills didn't get good value from the draft - that may be true, but that doesn't necessarily mean we didn't get good players. What Bills fans may need to recognize is that a bad year this year doesn't mean we aren't heading in the right direction - that all depends on how badly we've fallen. The talent level of this team seems to have dropped off quite a bit over the last few years, and now Moulds, Milloy, etc. are gone, so it could be that a 4-12 or 5-11 season is actually a pretty good one, especially if we are grooming difference-makers. I'd rather go through another season or two of building than go 7-9 to 9-7 for 5 years, but that is all predicated on the new regime doing a better job of building a team than the old one. Remember Dallas in J. Johnson's first year - they went 1-15 (almost a winless season), but were clearly building something. Then there's the Bengals of the 1990s - which one is it gonna be, Marv? :D

BTW, who was the Denver expert? I used to live there, and I'm betting it was either Sandy Kleogh (spelling?) or Joe Williams...

I disagree.

You may have noticed that on most of my rebuttal points I added the word "maybe".

I did this because most of the points are just opinion.  To end up with a negative view on each & every possibility is unrealistic.  Just as unrealistic as looking through homer glasses. 

Remember...his point was that we would be so bad that we would lose every game.

The only way that could realistically happen is if everything goes wrong which is...surprise surprise...exactly what he predicts.

Side point...I think your assessment of our O-line is wrong. 

Hopefully as the season starts & progresses you will be surprised rather than me. :D

699202[/snapback]

You can disagree all you want to. As I see it you are also ignoring facts in favor of opinions based on very little other than simply being a fan and wanting it to happen. You can run out and buy a lottery ticket and the chances of winning are what they are, not what you hope.

I would argue that my points weren't negative as you suggest, but simple indicators of reality.

As to losing every game only if "everything goes wrong," not really. We suck. We're not good. Contrary to anyone's opinion, a handful of juniors out of the draft isn't going to help much this year, especially since most are in the secondary. If we can't stop the run, we can have a pro bowl secondary and it's not gonna matter. Why would anyone throw on us when they can average 5.0 rushing? When the DBs are forced to cheat up, you then throw the ball. Besides, a bunch of junior rookies aren't going to be at pro bowl level anytime soon.

We aren't good meaning that just about every team on our schedule is better than we are with the possible exception of the Jets. Even Tennessee and Green Bay have improved. We sucked on the road last season and don't have an easier schedule on the road this year. So 0-8 on the road is a distinct possibility.

I agree that it's nearly as impossible to go 0-16 as it is 16-0, but he didn't guarantee 0-16 and insist that we would be, he simply said that we have a legitimate shot at it. I think many of you are going to be surprised at how few games we win this season. It won't be more than last year. If we can win two at home we may be fortunate.

As to our O-line being good, what is your basis for that statement? Because we flat out sucked on our OL last year, or weren't you aware of that. Our best lineman is a year older now and in his mid thirties. All that we did was sign a bunch of guys the likes of what we've been signing now for many seasons, other teams backups.

I hope too that I'll be surprised, but I'm thinking here that the surprise will be to you and anyone else thinking that we're going to be better this year than last. There are far too many issues on this team the least of which is that we just don't have the talent to be anything other than bad. Few of our best players are in their prime anymore. Only Schobel, Spikes, and Clements are in it on D and we just don't have any on O. Evans is our only promising up and coming young player offensively.

That's not a recipe for me to be surprised that we'll win games. It's a recipe that we won't match last season's 5-11 mark. I'd put up a friendly wager that says we don't win a single road game this season other than maybe against the Jets. I also can't see us beating the Pats, Fins, Jags or Chargers at home. I'm also not foolish enough to think that we win the other four home games.

That's not a recipe for a good season.

No way.  I would predict that we have a starting QB by the first game of the season and that DJ and ML will stick with him.  Both of these guys have been around long enough to know that a quarterback rotation (or a quarterback squabble) is something to be avoided.  I suspect Nalls has the lead right now followed by Kelly and then Holcomb.  That being said I see Holcomb as the number two and us cutting either Losman or Nalls.

I wouldn't use the term miserable.  It is a very weak offensive line.  DJ and ML will have to react to that in the season, and I'm hoping their offensive scheme takes that into account.  Lots of two tight end situations.

Its all about the Benjamins here.  McGahee is going to renegotiate and/or play somewhere else.  His value is not very high right now and he has something to prove.

Given.  Thats another reason the two tight end set might be a major part of our game.

OK.  I said pretty much the same thing when we hired him.  I think working with ML  they will be ready to work with what they have.  This is where we could go wrong more than any other reason, but I'm betting on them to step up.  I don't see DJ getting into any power play drama with players.

I predict that both the first AND second round picks will provide immediate help. How he figured we were going to man the safety position without a free agent or top defensive back is beyond me.  The guy MIGHT have been a stretch, but he certainly is going to help us in the coming season.  Defensive line is a very weak area and Defensive Tackle the weakest of the weak areas.  I predicted that the defensive line will be as good as or better than last year's defensive line. 

All of Salisbury's points are legit, and I would probably come up with an assessment a little better than he makes out.  I think we will win between 6 and 0 games this year.

699908[/snapback]

Hey tennesseeboy, yours is a great post to pick on, so I will. :D No disrespect intended, really.

1. Your opinion offers no real basis for it. So it's just that, an opinion without any validation.

2. Many would use the term miserable. But the point is that it won't be nearly as strong as opposing defensive lines, which will make it miserable. Also, you suggest the use of lots of 2 TE sets. Where did you get this from? Have you heard the organization say this? Why all the emphasis on WRs and why did we hire Fairchild as an OC then? It doesn't add up. Again, pure opinion with little validation.

3. If McGahee didn't have "something to prove" this past season after two wasted seasons, then he won't have it this year.

3b. Again, why the overemphasis on WRs then? Why do we have Evans and two other WRs signed to big money in Reed and Price if only two are usually going to see the field?

4. Your opinion is based purely on how DJ interacts with ML and the players and doesn't account for the team's lack of talent at all.

5. All you did was to predict something, again, without much historical support as junior draftees rarely step up to produce in their first seasons, and without much reason otherwise.

6. This doesn't seem to coincide with the rest of your predictions. We probably won't win many road games as we only won one last year and this year's road schedule is also tough. I can't see us winning over two or three home games either, and that's only if the cards fall right.

I see a lot of optimistic posts like yours, but the question that you have to ask yourself is why do you believe what you do and is that a solid reason for that belief or a soft indicator. Your views are all predicated on soft indicators, which isn't unusual this offseason.

I'm not trying pick on you, but yours was a great post to illustrate the false reasons for hope for this team this fall or even next year.

Someone in another post mentioned that our only key players were Spikes, McGahee, Schobel, Clements, and Evans. Probably true. But McGahee and Clements won't be here next season. Who knows how Spikes will come back. Leaving only Evans and Schobel to build around unless some other players step up to that level this season which doesn't appear to be very likely.

What Badolbilz said. Get ready for: With the first pick in the 2007 draft, the Buffalo Bills select...Brady Quinn, quarterback, Notre Dame.

701063[/snapback]

My crystal ball says that this is Fletcher's last year here, and TKO may not be back all the way, so the 2007 draft Day 1 will be all about LBs.

Brady Quinn will be passed for Paul Poslusny. :P:D

My crystal ball says that this is Fletcher's last year here, and TKO may not be back all the way, so the 2007 draft Day 1 will be all about LBs. 

Brady Quinn will be passed for Paul Poslusny. :P  :D

701068[/snapback]

I wouldn't mind that...Poz is a hell of a player.

You can disagree all you want to.  As I see it you are also ignoring facts in favor of opinions based on very little other than simply being a fan and wanting it to happen.  You can run out and buy a lottery ticket and the chances of winning are what they are, not what you hope. 

I would argue that my points weren't negative as you suggest, but simple indicators of reality. 

701060[/snapback]

My line of "I disagree" was responding to your last line of "Those countering that person's statements are looking at this through homer glasses."

I actually didn't disagree with much at all, mainly just the contention that we have a "real chance" at going winless.

My point is (surprisingly enough) roughly what you have written above.

'Wanting' things to happen(either way) does not make them happen.

Going winless is (obviously) pushing those percentages way too high.

On the other hand, if this was a thread saying we will win 14+ games & was giving the reasons why, I would have rebutted that in a similar manner. To look at each possibility & assume they all will fall one way over the other is ridiculous.

I totally agree that we are not a good team...a 5-11 record shows that quite sufficiently. Weather we will be better than last season or worse is total conjecture at this point.

To think we will regress overall is IMO fair enough. I don't think that but it's just opinion.

To think we will not improve in any area & also regress in some as well is ridiculous.

What Badolbilz said. Get ready for: With the first pick in the 2007 draft, the Buffalo Bills select...Brady Quinn, quarterback, Notre Dame.

I'd be happy with that. Hopefully, one of the following will happen: someone on the roster (probably Nall) will take control of the quarterback position, and clearly prove himself the answer, or the Bills will have a bad enough record to be able to draft Brady Quinn. The worst-case scenario would be for the team to overcome bad quarterback play to achieve a few meaningless wins against the likes of the Titans and the Jets.

On paper, he's right.  If you look at the track record of the players, coaching and management here and compare it to the rest of the league, they are the worst(DFL) or very near it. 

The question is whether this group of players is as weak as they appear to be on the surface(past history, lack of size, speed, athleticism etc.) or are they a group that will rally and find some success by the synergy of playing as a team?

As a Bills fan, I've never seen a good Bills team that didn't have a talent advantage over their opponents almost every week.  The 80's and 90's Bills were ALL about personnel(sorry, Walt Corey), so it's really hard to be optimistic when you realize that the team is now lining up players of such mediocre pedigree and especially hard when you look at the track record of the coaching staff.  I'm not saying the Bills players are BAD, but it has the look of an expansion team packed with projected starters who were not good enough to start elsewhere or who were let go because teams thought they needed to improve over them.

There are really only 5 good frontline players/playmakers on this team, an anemic figure by league standards, Clements/Spikes/Schobel on D and Evans/McGahee on O.  Clements can't get his hands on passes if there is no pass rush, the news on Spikes recovery is somewhat discouraging, Evans is hamstrung by the lack of a proven passer and McGahee doesn't appear to care enough about the game to be bothered with the finer points.  There are a handful of promising young players, but no more than most teams have and less than you might expect from a team that has been out of the playoffs for such a long time.

As for their predicted record, the Bills of 2003-2004 lost more than a seasons worth of road games in a row with a lot more talent than these Bills, so it's certainly not a stretch that they would go 0-8 this year, and among the home opponents, the only team they stand toe-to-toe with right now is the Jets.  I see them as a 2-14 team with wins against the Packers and Jets at the Ralph.

699128[/snapback]

Maybe Ralph's plan here is taken from the script for the movie "Major League"