Hypothetically speaking...

udonkey

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea what rent is like?  Right now, I'm paying ~$400/mo as my part of a 3 bedroom house, but will be able/willing to pay $400-500/mo for a 1bedroom (perhaps more, depending on the difference in pay that I would get /w the promotion).

697613[/snapback]

Check out craigslist. That will give you a good idea of the rent in the city.

Come again?  Could you substantiate that statement with some data?

697644[/snapback]

I agree, wasn't too long ago that Genesseo was rated as the #1 party school. Also, have had a simbling go there and it really was in the lower ranked SUNY schools. Binghampton, Albany and UB are always ranked as the top of the SUNY system.

put me down for a vote for syracuse, the university area has some nice places, eastwood, lovely area as far as i am concerned

I'm going to be applying for a promotion which would move me from Cincinnati to WNY.  If I were to get it, I'd be a regional manager in charge of stores located in Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse.

Of these 3 cities, can I get some suggestions as to where would be the ideal place to live?  I'll be 25 this fall...I'm single, so I'd probably be looking for a 1 bedroom or a studio (unless a 2 bedroom could be had for a decent price).

I'd prefer to be near a 4 year university, as I've got about 80 credit hours to go to finish up my degree, so it'd be nice to be able to take some night classes and finish up over a couple of years.

This is something that I've tossed around in the past, but the opportunity is available, and I think that I'm qualified, so I'm going for it.  The fact that my girlfriend and I just broke up certainly helps make my decision...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

697379[/snapback]

Try here: renters guide

Not from Buffalo...my only exposure to WNY is from trips to see Bills games, so I'm a complete outsider.  I have always enjoyed my visits and really want the promotion, so I"m going to give it my all in hopes of getting the job.

Thanks to everyone for your input...seems like Rochester might be the best option.

Any idea what rent is like?  Right now, I'm paying ~$400/mo as my part of a 3 bedroom house, but will be able/willing to pay $400-500/mo for a 1bedroom (perhaps more, depending on the difference in pay that I would get /w the promotion).

697613[/snapback]

actually i have heard similar things about gene-zero, they seem to have done a good job academically. Ivy league, no, but they are highly regarded

I agree, wasn't too long ago that Genesseo was rated as the #1 party school.  Also, have had a simbling go there and it really was in the lower ranked SUNY schools.  Binghampton, Albany and UB are always ranked as the top of the SUNY system.

697697[/snapback]

actually i have heard similar things about gene-zero, they seem to have done a good job academically.  Ivy league, no, but they are highly regarded

697717[/snapback]

I guess it would be better stated that it is considered an "Ivy League" level within the SUNY system?

All I know is that it is VERY hard to get admitted. When babyrock applied several years back, the application rejection percentage was 80-85%.

I admit I am prejudiced; my grandmother graduated from Geneso Normal (the equivalent of a SUNY) back in 1917. <_<

My daughter and brother are Geneso grads.

I am a Geneso drop out - I majored in Par-Tay!

I guess it would be better stated that it is considered an "Ivy League" level within the SUNY system?

All I know is that it is VERY hard to get admitted. When babyrock applied several years back, the application rejection percentage was 80-85%.

I admit I am prejudiced; my grandmother graduated from Geneso Normal (the equivalent of a SUNY) back in 1917.  <_<

My daughter and brother are Geneso grads.

I am a Geneso drop out - I majored in Par-Tay!

697733[/snapback]

How much is that because eduation costs have gone up so much the last ten years that a lot of middleclass folks can't afford the better private schools and therefore the kids apply to state schools first. Just because you have a high rejection rate doesn't make it a good school, if that is factored in. You still have the same admin and teachers, just better students who can't afford anything else.

I would have to put my vote for Rochester here even though I was born/raised in Lancaster. Went to school at RIT and always thought that Rochester would be a cool place to live. However it has been 20 years since I attended RIT.

Rochester would be between Buffalo and Syracuse when it came time to visit your other locations.

Well, I applied. Going to sit back and wait before I start making preparations to move - the job is 2 job grades above my current one, so I might not get much consideration, but I've been in my current position for ~2 years, so I'm hoping that the experience counts for something.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again for the advice.

How much is that because eduation costs have gone up so much the last ten years that a lot of middleclass folks can't afford the better private schools and therefore the kids apply to state schools first.  Just because you have a high rejection rate doesn't make it a good school, if that is factored in.  You still have the same admin and teachers, just better students who can't afford anything else.

697736[/snapback]

That's part of it VA. Gregg Easterbrook (TMQ) wrote a piece on this about 2 years ago. The driving force for this was the GI Bill. After WWII, more and more middle class kids were able to afford a college education which led to more and more applicants. He theorized that since the 'elite' schools weren't accepting more applicants, these kids ended up at 2nd tier schools. This raised the level of the 2nd tier schools and so on down the line. More college grads led to a greater population of academics to teach more students. There's the 'virtuous circle'.

Ivy League undergrads are overrated. Give me a middle-class SUNY product. They're hungrier.

:(

Geneseo is absolutely NOT in the bottom of the SUNY schools, try five minutes of research on the internet and you will find that out. Along with Binghamton they are the jewels of the entire system. What a joke. How about Fredonia and Brockport perhaps?

That's actually laughable considering it's pristine regional reputation and excellent national coverage in Kiplinger's and other college surveys.

:P

Geneseo is absolutely NOT in the bottom of the SUNY schools, try five minutes of research on the internet and you will find that out.  Along with Binghamton they are the jewels of the entire system.  What a joke.  How about Fredonia and Brockport perhaps? 

That's actually laughable considering it's pristine regional reputation and excellent national coverage in Kiplinger's and other college surveys.

697926[/snapback]

Again who cares. I mean a night out on the town in Geneseo is drinking a case of genny cream ales, tippping cows and who knows maybe getting lucky with a cow while she is down. :(

697733[/snapback]

Take it with a grain of salt. I got rejected by Geneseo ('91), but got into Cornell, RIT & U of R. Come to think of it, I got into SUNY Binghamton and didn't even apply there :( .